August 22, 2014, 12:01:25 AM

Author Topic: Is it time to consider Sigma lenses seriously?? competitive to Canon?  (Read 33372 times)

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
Hey guys.  I am an amateur/hobbyist photographer that loves to keep up on the forums and on cr.    I was wondering what you guys take on the new lenses that Sigma has been putting out on the market.  The price ranges are very competitive even to the Canon brand.  I am a Canon fanboy (to put it best) but the recent 35mm f1.4, 120-300mm f2.8, and now the 18-35mm f1.8is making me think much more of a third party brand.  A friend of mine had a sigma 50mm f1.4 that pulled some impressive pictures!  I have bought and returned a sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lens before... horrid lens (possibly the copy). 

Anyways, I want to hear from y'all before buying a few lenses. (10-22, 50 1.4, and 15-85 or 24-105)  Thanks!

For the home / hobbiest, yes it's a great idea. Some of the 3rd party vendors are really coming out with some great stuff. But for a pro...no, it's still not quite up to the reliability and AF speed of the top Canon gear. Pro's generally want to buy once and use a lot with no worries or little down time. Sigma / Tamron just isn't as reliable in a professional contex and certainly doesn't carry the same fast service ability.

canon rumors FORUM

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time to consider Sigma lenses seriously?? competitive to Canon?
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2013, 02:27:06 PM »
^ i am waiting for a 135L alternative as well, hoping for something cheaper

Cheaper than ~$900 for the 135L?  How?  It's one of the best values in the Canon line, just buy it.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »

Cheaper than ~$900 for the 135L?  How?  It's one of the best values in the Canon line, just buy it.

$871 in the canon refurb store, now with a year warranty:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_22751?WT.mc_id=C126149

It's out of stock now, but it is replenished periodically.

- A

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »

$871 in the canon refurb store, now with a year warranty:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_22751?WT.mc_id=C126149

It's out of stock now, but it is replenished periodically.

- A

Yea, so you're waiting for a refurb unit that's only $50 cheaper than a brand spanking new one?  Why?  And I thought you were implying you were waiting on Sigma to introduce their own 135 at a cheaper price than $900...because I can guarantee you that will never happen, unless it is an f/2.8.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
Those interested in Sigma may like to read this, if they've not seen it yet:

http://www.lenstip.com/136.1-article-Interview_with_constructor_of_Sigma_lenses.html

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »
Yes, Before I buy my first Sigma Lens 50 mm. F/ 1.4---I compare with Canon Lens 50 mmm. F/ 1.4, and I read many Compare/ Review both Lens, And in the  review tell me that Sigma Lens* in this Category is Better than Canon Lens in the Sharp area, and in the Color Contrast Area---BUT COST MORE THAN CANON = $ 50 US Dollars.
Yes, I buy this First Sigma Lens and Very Happy of this Big Babe.
Yes, I have 14 Canon Lenses, 2 Tamron Lenses, 1 Bower Lens,  and 1 Sigma Lens---From 8 MM. Fish eye Lens to Canon EF 600 mm. F/ 4.0 L IS USM.
Surapon
PS. AF. for Sigma Lenses are not good or FAST  as Canon Lenses*
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:33:06 PM by surapon »

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
Those interested in Sigma may like to read this, if they've not seen it yet:

http://www.lenstip.com/136.1-article-Interview_with_constructor_of_Sigma_lenses.html

That was an interesting article.  Thanks for posting the link
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »
Yes, Before I buy my first Sigma Lens 50 mm. F/ 1.4---I compare with Canon Lens 50 mmm. F/ 1.4, and I read many Compare/ Review both Lens, And in the  review tell me that Sigma Lens* in this Category is Better than Canon Lens in the Sharp area, and in the Color Contrast Area---BUT COST MORE THAN CANON = $ 50 US Dollars.
Yes, I have 14 Canon Lenses, 2 Tamron Lenses, 1 Bower Lens,  and 1 Sigma Lens---From 8 MM. Fish eye Lens to Canon EF 600 mm. F/ 4.0 L IS USM.
Surapon

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is not a good lens, don't buy it.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
I also own an EOS 620. First real camera I bought, brand new in 1987. I still have it but haven't used it in a long time. Regrettably, I sold off a minty 50mm purchased at the same time a few years ago.

If your 28-70 is from the late 80's, and doesn't work on camera equipment produced in the 2000's, I can't say that I would expect differently.
My 28-70 is from the late 80's and doesn't work on some camera equipment produced in the 90's (like EOS 50E). You cannot expect differently but then feel free not to expect that your super Sigma lenses will work one  decade later. If you have used them a lot it will not matter much probably but a Canon 24-70 2.8 L II will still be great even then!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:44:43 AM by tron »

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »
Surapon

I'm very happy with my Sigma 50/1.4. It's up there with my three L lenses, and easily beats them with regards to the quality of the bokeh.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

vlad

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Surapon

Disagree completely.  I'm using mine on full frame and it rocks.  Great image quality, solid build, good AF.  In the areas where Canon stagnates, Sigma picks up the slack.  I'm considering getting the 15mm fisheye and the 35 1.4 next.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
Surapon

Disagree completely.  I'm using mine on full frame and it rocks.  Great image quality, solid build, good AF.  In the areas where Canon stagnates, Sigma picks up the slack.  I'm considering getting the 15mm fisheye and the 35 1.4 next.

+1!!!
5D3, 5D2 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 55-210 OSS | FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Surapon

So your Sigma 50mm somehow has no AF issues at all, and is sharp to the full frame corners?  Hard to believe, but ok.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2013, 04:10:12 PM »
Surapon

So your Sigma 50mm somehow has no AF issues at all, and is sharp to the full frame corners?  Hard to believe, but ok.
Mine has reliable, accurate AF. And wide open at f1.4, the corners are more than usable on FF. Stopped down a little, they are very sharp. The sharpness and the creamy smoothness of the bokeh put it leagues ahead of the Canon 50/1.4.

What negative experiences have you had with the Sigma 50/1.4 for you to be so vocally negative about it?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
Surapon

Mine has reliable, accurate AF. And wide open at f1.4, the corners are more than usable on FF. Stopped down a little, they are very sharp. The sharpness and the creamy smoothness of the bokeh put it leagues ahead of the Canon 50/1.4.

What negative experiences have you had with the Sigma 50/1.4 for you to be so vocally negative about it?

Never tried it for myself, never claimed I did...but have read what Lensrentals had to say, as well as the reviews...as well as Sigma's own MTF chart of the lens in their display of the product on their own website...which clearly shows a steep dropoff in sharpness in the image even before the aps-c crop ends...let alone to the corners on full frame.

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/normal-range/sigma-50mm-f1.4-dg-hsm-for-canon

"
Roger's Take

Roger Cicala

President of LensRentals.com

It’s become apparent through many tests and online forums that the Sigma 50 is a ‘special’ lens. I was glad to find this out because it was driving me nuts. It’s a very nice lens when you use it just right, with superb sharpness and smooth bokeh. But here’s the summary:

1) It works very well on crop frame cameras and at middle (5 to 15 feet) distance, so its a wonderful indoor lens.

2) On full frame cameras and to a slight extent on crop frame cameras, the lens exhibits what I will term ‘schizophrenic autofocus’: Closer than 5 feet it will front focus, further than 20 feet it will backfocus. This is not a calibration issue, its just how it is."

Apparently yours differs from the normal production?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:19:05 PM by CarlTN »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »