October 25, 2014, 03:47:25 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mk III with 50mm f/1.8 II - bad images?  (Read 7226 times)

silkfire

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
5D Mk III with 50mm f/1.8 II - bad images?
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:02 AM »
I bought a 5D Mark III last fall as I've gotten a very keen interest in DSLR photography and I saved up a couple of months to afford the beast of a camera. Unfortunately, the only lens I could afford was the cheap nifty-fifty.

And I don't know if it's me being an amateur, but I think the images it takes are pretty crappy. Is it because of the bad lens? I'm saving up for an L lens but it may take a while.

What are your thoughts? Am I just being paranoid?

Here are some shots.

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mk III with 50mm f/1.8 II - bad images?
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:02 AM »

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mk III with 50mm f/1.8 II - bad images?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 04:42:04 AM »
it would help if you specified why you think the lens is bad.

the composition is not the best. what were you trying to achieve with these 3 photos? They all show DOF well enough.
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

silkfire

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 04:44:33 AM »
I think that the colors are kind of dull. Yeah I'm still learning, I just want to make my images as attractive as in magazines I guess....

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 04:46:36 AM »
I think you are mostly missing some quality light in the shots. That and some better framing and a smidge of work in post.

A cheap manual flash or two might help you out quite a bit when it comes to getting the food shots look better. Read up on strobist.com

trygved

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 06:21:44 AM »
First off, I probably would have suggested the 40mm 2.8 pancake lens.
Although it only costs $50 more, it is much less likely to be a lens you will "grow out of" as it is sharp as a tack and short to boot.

That being said however, the 50mm 1.8 is a perfectly fine lens.
There is a belief that runs rampant in the DSLR / high-end camera community: buying stuff makes you a better.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you ask) this is not the case.
Your 50mm 1.8 on any DSLR is capable of brilliant results, but it won't do the work for you.
Before I go on, check out these results from your same lens.
http://dinablaszczak.hubpages.com/hub/Canon50mm18RevieworFactsaboutNiftyFifty
In the hands of a skilled photographer, much better results than those exemplified in the link above are well within reach.

The 50mm is by no means the limiting factor in these images.
Subject, composition, lighting, exposure settings, post processing, the list goes on; until you understand some of the basics, there isn't an L lens in production that will breathe life into your photos.
They will only raise the ceiling of what it possible.

If food photography is your thing, read up!
http://fstoppers.com/an-introduction-to-restaurant-food-photography
http://fstoppers.com/when-and-where-to-style-your-food-photography

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:24:02 AM »
^^^ What Hannes said...

Also, for food, I would use a gray card and custom WB...

Do you like the DOF?  The quiche(?) you can clearly see the plane of focus in the center - is that what you visualized?
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

LordMicaTheGreat

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »
50mm 1.8 is not bad. Just giving you enogh for money what you are giving, and I think is perfect lenc for how much it cost (100chf/$/£ whatever).
This photos are without feelings and lighting is bad (or even worst lighting not exist what is not appropriate for taking pictures of food inside of room).
You can try also with WB settings and saturation settings and alsoyou can try to go 1/3 overexp.
For making photos on this way (automatic) you do not need 5dMkIII (Camera can't make photos alone), you realy need manually to set all parametars and to play with them to make optimization (pictures which you will like ). Taking pictures of food to look same as in magazines need more practice and it's not easy as you think.
I wish you a good light in next attempt.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »

RickSpringfield

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »
Your halfway there!

The only element you are missing to A.) Make the colors pop and B.) Make a sharper photo is great lighting.  Take that same pie and sit it on your porch in the on a sunny day (dont eat though after this) and snap the picture and it will look way different.... and more colorful/sharper.

Were surrounded by images.  Online.  Print.  Everywhere.  And all day long you probaby see amazing shots of food, or people, places, and things.  But the truth is ... nearly every image we see has been amazingly controlled.  The lights.  The situation (time of day).  And on top of all of that control is a degree of artistry imposed by the creator whose skills have given them choices in the outcome of the shot.

You have a great camera there.  In fact one that many folks would give there eye teeth to use.  And you've got a highly capable lens.  Get a decent flash (Canon 430ex for instance).  Get two pieces of white posterboard.  Get 4 'A Clamps'.  Then set your camera on anything but the Big Green Box mode.  Then just start shooting for 1 hour a day like its photography bootcamp.  Read Read Read (there was a suggestion for Strobist.com and that is good, ...but anything that would teach you lighting 101 would be a huge help).  If you have $$$ go to Kelbytraining.com and sign up for a month ($24.95) and watch to your hearts content.

Honestly, if you nail the lighting down ... the overall quality of the photos will improve leaps and bounds.  And along the way, you'll have learned a thing or two about the crazy settings inside that camera and how those contribute to the final product.

Happy shooting!

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
as others have noted, your primary problem is you are using bad light. great photographers get great results first and foremost because they find/create good lighting conditions. even the best camera and lens will give crappy results in crappy light.

that being said, the 50mm 1.8 (while being a great budget lens) is pretty lackluster when compared to the best lenses canon has to offer. i have used it in good available light and studio lighting and i personally dont find its rendering of color or contrast to be sufficient. its sharpness also falls short for my preferences. some may find it perfectly suitable but to a more discerning eye it will fall short.

the lens is not your biggest problem though. you need to learn to identify what great light is first and understand how to get the best results once you have good light to work with. i would not run out yet and buy speedlights as others have suggested though. if you dont know what good available light is yet you are just as likely to produce bad results with speedlights.

i would suggest doing two things first. one, shoot in bright shade and two, shoot with a large window to the side of your subject while placing a piece of white foamboard close to the subject on the opposite side. these are basic lighting scenarios you should become familiar with first before running off and dumping money into strobe lighting.

after that, you need to understand how to post the images to pull the best results out of them without overdoing it. do not expect your images to match what you have seen from pros published in magazines straight out of your camera. top pros consider images straight out of camera as "digital negatives" in that the information has been recorded but needs to be processed to really make the image sing (so to speak). adjustments should be subtle if you got the lighting and exposure correct but a small amount of tweaking can still make a big difference in the final product.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
The lens is an instrument. It seems sharp. The rest is up to you.
Practice! Or like Nike's slogan was/is: just do it!
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 05:27:05 AM »
You bought a £2,300 camera and put a £80 on it?

Keep saving for an L lens and you'll see a big difference.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

M.ST

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 07:18:10 AM »
Don´t put cheap lenses on expensive cameras. An expensive camera is worthless if you put cheap lenses on it.

But that is not the only problem. Why do you need an expensive camera for such images?

For a good image you need:

1. A good photographer with all the skills.
2. A vision.
3. The best light you can get.
4. A good camera with good lenses.

You need some more skills (light setups, using a flash, composition, etc.)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:23:41 AM by M.ST »

luciolepri

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lucio Lepri - Director and script writer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »
Optically, the 50/1,8 II is a good lens (it's actually the 50/1,8 I in a new body) it is so cheap only because of its built quality and because the optical scheme required by a 50mm 1,8 is very easy to project and to realize.
What's missing in your pictures is "just" a great lighting and the right withe balance... it's extremely hard to make a plate of potatoes look good, the subject doesn't help you at all! Since you just started, my advise is to begin with another kind of subjects to practice with the camera, this way you'll see that your equipment is not at all the limit.
In the "film era", to buy a very good body and wait to raise more money for good lenses would have been a really unwise decision, but now, in my opinion, it is not anymore.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »

denton

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »
The 50mm 1.8 is an excellent lens. I use it, along with a Mkiii, for my street style work as it is small and light and easy to carry in the hand. I have lots of L glass too.
Tell me this isn't sharp:
http://www.thenycfashionguy.com/2013/04/at-met.html

Take the lens outside, you'll be happy.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 08:40:58 AM »
Here is one of mine with 5D Mk III with 50mm f/1.8 II - it is a great value for money lens and i always keep in in my bag.

As others have said, lighting is crucial. Here my 6 year old son (my assistant's dog was sick) was holding an EX 580 II Off camera :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 08:40:58 AM »