April 17, 2014, 11:56:08 AM

Author Topic: Advice: Black Rapid shoulderstrap  (Read 6098 times)

miah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: Black Rapid shoulderstrap
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »

Take the FastenR-3 that comes with the strap, and use Loctite Blue 242 to attach it to a Kirk QRC-1 clamp.

OK, that looks like a good solution. Thanks!
T3i • 10-22 • 15-85 • 70-300DO *** 5D3 • 35 f/2 • 50 f/1.8 • 24-105L • 100L • 70-300L • 35-350L • 400L f/5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »

spinworkxroy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
I have been using the BlackRapids for about 2 years with my 5D3.
It's great and quick but the main issue i had with it was the strap wasn't adjustable on the fly.
Walking meant it swings about, even when locked. Sitting down or bending down meant the strap sometimes falls from the shoulder (even with the attachment that wraps around the shoulder).
I don't carry a heavy camera/lens combo so i tried the Joby ultrafit and i actually find it much better than the blackrapid.
It's smaller,lighter and adjustable on the fly and does everything a black rapid does…although i don't think it will be comfortable with a heavy combo and it doesn't do dual camera combos..
Just my 2 cents..

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 10:49:40 PM »
I have a blackrapid rs4. I use it on my 7d with grip and primarily prime lenses but its never come loose. I periodically check the link is tight, it's no concern. I've even dropped the camera straight into the strap, I trust it.

Blackrapid make sheaths you can buy an extras with a steel cable if that's your concern. Also the double, which I don't personally own, can be used as 2 singles if desired.

Sun sniper do make double's. Not sure if each side can be separated though.

If using any of the above with say 70-200's with the tripod mount, I'll suggest putting the link from the strap on that instead of the camera to balance. That's all.

The only dysfunction is to use the tripod mount. You have to disconnect the strap.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
Just an advise, do not put your camera in your back or on you side unprotected in crowded area when using these type of straps, or the normal straps. Strap may be hard to cut, but it is possible to steal the lens.

Great advice and info. I had never even thought about that. Thanks.

If you people watch you will sometimes see awkward people, that scream I am an easy target. 

I tend to have a very determined attitude when I travel.  I am not muscular, 5'10" slightly overweight but not really heavy.  Just give an impression that I mean business.  Also I am constantly checking my camera.

Years ago (I hope this is not too off color and won't result in the posting be removed) I saw a poster that read "Though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I fear no evil for I am the meanest B**** in the valley"

I found that poster humorous but also insightful.  When you travel, maintain don't mess with me attitude.  There are easier marks than me.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
Just an advise, do not put your camera in your back or on you side unprotected in crowded area when using these type of straps, or the normal straps. Strap may be hard to cut, but it is possible to steal the lens.

Great advice and info. I had never even thought about that. Thanks.

If you people watch you will sometimes see awkward people, that scream I am an easy target. 

I tend to have a very determined attitude when I travel.  I am not muscular, 5'10" slightly overweight but not really heavy.  Just give an impression that I mean business.  Also I am constantly checking my camera.

Years ago (I hope this is not too off color and won't result in the posting be removed) I saw a poster that read "Though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I fear no evil for I am the meanest B**** in the valley"

I found that poster humorous but also insightful.  When you travel, maintain don't mess with me attitude.  There are easier marks than me.

I'm keeping my eye out for you RGF, and keeping out of your way as well.

The quote is a mixed Biblical/Vietnam Era passage, the US Grunts frequently wrote it on their Helmet Covers, we Aussies didn't use Helmets so we Tattooed it on our foreheads.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »
The quote is a mixed Biblical/Vietnam Era passage, the US Grunts frequently wrote it on their Helmet Covers, we Aussies didn't use Helmets so we Tattooed it on our foreheads.

Its funny because its true :)

As for the BR straps, as others have said if someone was getting that close to your back with a Stanley knife (or Box Cutter if your American) i would be worried about losing my kidneys, let alone my camera.

I'm also looking at a BR strap, but am confused by statements on their website. I want to keep my Induro Arca Swiss plates mounted to my camera/lenses, so I can pop them off the BR strap and attach them to my ballhead at a moments notice, but it says the FastenR Tripod (FR-T1) will only work with the Manfrotto RC2 Quick Release Plate. From your description, quoted above, I'm unclear as to what you found that works. Thanks.

What you will find is that as long as the plate is similar thickness.

The screws are similar that mount on the underside. The FR-T1 will be the exact same thing but possibly better build than the cheap knock offs you can buy from ebay.

Original:

Copy:

And speaking of copies i found this for $15AUD on eBay. Not sure if i would trust it to hold 1 let alone 2 cameras compared to my RS4 but if you wanted to check out and see it it suited your needs without paying for a decent strap i guess it couldn't hurt..
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »

Though I am of the age, I avoided Vietnam and the draft.  I had a lower lottery number but held my student deferment until the draft ended.

Glad I did not have to

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
All my carriers are set up for Arca Swiss plates (which are on my camera/lenses).  For the BR straps, I use a Kirk 1" clamp on the lugs, and I have the Spider Arca Clamp.

Neuro, I'm also looking at a BR strap, but am confused by statements on their website. I want to keep my Induro Arca Swiss plates mounted to my camera/lenses, so I can pop them off the BR strap and attach them to my ballhead at a moments notice, but it says the FastenR Tripod (FR-T1) will only work with the Manfrotto RC2 Quick Release Plate. From your description, quoted above, I'm unclear as to what you found that works. Thanks.

Here's the BR page I'm referring to:

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

Take the FastenR-3 that comes with the strap, and use Loctite Blue 242 to attach it to a Kirk QRC-1 clamp.

notice that you use a 1" clamp.  Any reason for the 1" versus 2" clamp?  I would think with your big glass, you would want a larger clamp for greater security.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
notice that you use a 1" clamp.  Any reason for the 1" versus 2" clamp?  I would think with your big glass, you would want a larger clamp for greater security.

A wider clamp provides extra stability when the clamp is 'upright', but there's no clamping strength benefit in the 'upside-down' position.  Since it holds as strongly, and a smaller clamp is easier when holding the camera in portrait orientation, I picked the 1" version over the 1.5" RRS clamp or the wider Kirk models.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 03:53:01 AM »

[/quote]

I'm keeping my eye out for you RGF, and keeping out of your way as well.

[/quote]
Mate, that explains a few things. All the Aussies in their sixties that Ive met down there are wearing hats. I thought I had read most available, but this was new  ;D
Hope you enjoy your big journey, I look forward to see pictures when you get back.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:48 AM »
On the BR site it stated that the straps will "hold all proffesional gear"

Do you trust the straps with your heaviest lenses like the 200 f2, 300 f2,8, 400 etc?

Any experience is greatly appricated.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »

Do you trust the straps with your heaviest lenses like the 200 f2, 300 f2,8, 400 etc?

I carry my 600/4L IS II with 1D X on an RS-Sport L strap.  If you'd prefer less complicated hardware, there's also the Kirk Security Strap (just a clamp with the nylon strap attached) - not quite as 'rapid' since you have to slide the strap over your body to raise the lens.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 08:09:16 AM »

I carry my 600/4L IS II with 1D X on an RS-Sport L strap.  If you'd prefer less complicated hardware, there's also the Kirk Security Strap (just a clamp with the nylon strap attached) - not quite as 'rapid' since you have to slide the strap over your body to raise the lens.

Thanks! I really like the RS-4 I have, so glad to know I can still use it if I carry something really heavy. I have thought about making my own short security wire from the handstrap mount under the 1d and around the strap, so if the attachment brakes in the RS-4, it will still hang on by the shorter extra wire.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 08:09:16 AM »

candyman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »
Thank you all for the advice.
I bought the BlackRapid R-strap RS-sport.
I have to admit it takes a few times to get used to it but works great.
I also added the BlackRapid Bryce 1 to store CF cards and so.
5D III  |  6D  |  16-35L II  |  24-70 VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  135L  |  1.4ext III  |  GPS GP-E2

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
If the BR hardware has a weak point, it's the swivel pin. A zip tie from the rectangular bracket to the carabiner or lug would provide extra security, and limiting rotation to ~180 degrees isn't really an issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »