September 16, 2014, 01:04:47 AM

Author Topic: SL1 as a "travel" body  (Read 11641 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: SL1 as a "travel" body
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:11 AM »
Are you sure you can't use back button focus on the 100D ? Even my daughters 1100D can be set up this way, but it uses the * button rather than a dedicated 'AF-ON' button ( just like the 5D mk1 set up).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:11 AM »

Harry

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 03:07:14 AM »
Are you sure you can't use back button focus on the 100D ? Even my daughters 1100D can be set up this way, but it uses the * button rather than a dedicated 'AF-ON' button ( just like the 5D mk1 set up).
Thanks Sporgon - I double checked and you're right! Funny how expectations influence these things - when I looked at the custom functions the first time I was convinced I would not find it .. I first started using back button focus on the 40D and never realized the Rebels offer this too. It is slightly awkward on the SL1 due to the placement of the buttons, but it's great to have the option.

nubu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 03:52:20 AM »
EOS-M with a 22mm pancake - it slips in a pocket, it's hidable in less than safe places, it looks like a cheap compact at a quick glance.  I carry mine all the time, swap to small jpg mode for work photos, back to raw when I need it, swap to manual focus when light is poor, it's a great little camera that is just with you all the time...  Although not quite as handy as my iPhone for quick snaps

I could not have said it better. Thats the way I use my nice eos-m together with my 5DIII and the 7D.
5DII/III,7D,400D,m|EF14/2.8LII,EF24/1.4LII,EF35/1.4L,EF40/2.8,EF50/1.4,MPE65/2.8,EF85/1.2L,EF100/2.8LIS,EF135/2L,EF200/2.8L,EF300/2.8LIS,EF500/4LIS,Zeiss500/8,EF1.4xIII,EF2xIII,EF8-15/4L,EFS17-55/2.8IS,EFS18-55/3.5-IS,EF24-105/4,allEFM

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:59 AM »
Thanks Sporgon - I double checked and you're right! Funny how expectations influence these things - when I looked at the custom functions the first time I was convinced I would not find it .. I first started using back button focus on the 40D and never realized the Rebels offer this too. It is slightly awkward on the SL1 due to the placement of the buttons, but it's great to have the option.

Yup, I think for the majority of photographers BB focus is better. In fact I was alway a manual focus guy for the majority of my work, but now, with the AF accuracy and AFMA of modern bodies, coupled with BB focus, I rarely use manual focus now. This has also influenced the lenses we use: no longer need so many L lenses for their manual focus qualities.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 04:48:40 AM »
I do my serious shooting with a 5D III, but I had been looking for a while for a small, lightweight camera for family pics and travel. I had considered a high end compact but it somehow seemed too much of a compromise, particularly in operation (shutter lag, viewfinder, etc). When the SL1 came out it seemed an ideal solution, and after having spent some time with it I can say that for me this camera (with the 40mm pancake)  is almost perfect as a lightweight complement to the 5D/III. The great thing, for me, is that both cameras share so many things - the optical view finder (obviously), the Canon layout of the buttons, and the general shooting method. The only real difference in operation is the lack of back button focus (and the lack of the second wheel).

I feel Canon produced a wonderful little camera in the SL1, and for me it is the perfect "informal" complement to the amazing 5D III. I figured others might be wondering about this so I thought I'd share my positive experience!

I still think the missing piece for the SL1 is the wide angle pancake.  The pocketability of that camera lives or dies with a tiny lens (as it does the EOS-M), so pancakes are vital.  But the EF 40mm pancake scales to 64mm FF equivalent on a crop, which is functional for portraits but too long for general walkaround, IMHO.

So the missing piece is what they do offer for the EF-M mount but not for the EF-S mount: a 22mm pancake.  That scales to 35mm, and then you have a truly high-end compact 2nd camera.

- A
I very much agree with this. That would be a perfect setup. I have been thinking back and forth around the M or the 100D. An EF-S 22mm would be the deciding factor to me. I love the 35L on my 5D3 and this would be a nice light weight version of that.

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 06:53:55 AM »
a 20/22mm EF pancake would be amazing, but i'm thinking of pairing the 100D with a 24 f/2.8 IS...  it's a small-ish size and at  38mm FF eqv, much more suited to walk-a-round.
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »

I still think the missing piece for the SL1 is the wide angle pancake.  The pocketability of that camera lives or dies with a tiny lens (as it does the EOS-M), so pancakes are vital.  But the EF 40mm pancake scales to 64mm FF equivalent on a crop, which is functional for portraits but too long for general walkaround, IMHO.

So the missing piece is what they do offer for the EF-M mount but not for the EF-S mount: a 22mm pancake.  That scales to 35mm, and then you have a truly high-end compact 2nd camera.

- A
I very much agree with this. That would be a perfect setup. I have been thinking back and forth around the M or the 100D. An EF-S 22mm would be the deciding factor to me. I love the 35L on my 5D3 and this would be a nice light weight version of that.

I agree too.  If the EF-s 22mm pancake was available, I would go out and buy that and the SL-1/100D tomorrow.  In fact I'm probably going to buy it anyway but it would make my decision quicker and easier.  Come on Canon, bring on the pancake family!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
I had considered a high end compact but it somehow seemed too much of a compromise, particularly in operation (shutter lag, viewfinder, etc).

My wife took my RX1 and I doubt she would give it back :'(

It's small and produces wonderfull photos.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
I had considered a high end compact but it somehow seemed too much of a compromise, particularly in operation (shutter lag, viewfinder, etc).

My wife took my RX1 and I doubt she would give it back :'(

It's small and produces wonderfull photos.

We're going to try out the SL1 as a 2nd/backup body as well.

For me, the RX1 is an amazing camera and a great option until you factor in the price. The X100S is great as well, but it's hard to justify spending nearly 2x the amount for something with a fixed lens when we can take the SL1+40 and a 2nd lens stashed away and have a more capable package.

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
The more I think about it, I think the SL1 would also be the perfect camera for me as a backup/travel camera.  I have a 5DII and a 7D and a ton of EF-S and EF lenses.  Don't use the 7D much anymore. But going on a trip with family, I don't always want to have the huge setup with me. I think the SL1 with my 15-85 might be very nice. And if I want to really travel light, I could throw the pancake on it.  I'm going to wait for the price to drop some more or for it to show up refurbished. Either way, it's a nice option and I'm glad Canon made this available.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
It makes sense as a small, light travel camera only if you can put small, light lenses on it.  Very few DSLR lenses meet that description, though (Pentax probably has more than anyone else), and unless you're happy with the focal lengths they provide (for Canon the 40mm pancake is the obvious winner) you'll be rather limited.  If traveling with Canon gear I wouldn't want to be without my 70-300L; and if I'm going to carry that I might as well take my 6D.  (It's for these reasons that I bought Olympus M4/3 for a small/light system - hardly an inexpensive option, though.)

adalton43

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
Can you guys please help me set up Back button focusing on my sL1. I cannot figure it out on my own. Thank you

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
Unless you have "fat fingers" it's a good solution though I'm not convinced it's worth the price premium over a
T3i for minimal size/weight differences.  Since we don't buy cameras by the pound (except in UK  :-)  ) overall
the low end Canon line seems pretty similar with only minor tweaks featured as "improvements".  My solution
was slightly different - a Leica D-Lux 6 with a fast lens, excellent image quality, adequate zoom range and small size - is almost tempting me to leave the Canon stuff at home on most trips.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »

scrup

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Free Hosting
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
SL1 is not that much smaller than a t4i. I would get the t4i for the better feature set instead. If you want small go mirrorless.

SL1 and Rebel series I consider in the same category. They would use a similar sized bag when you are transporting it.

szinski

• SX50 HS
  • Canon 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »
Glad that I found this thread (yes, I realize it's old). I own the 5D Mark III and desperately need a second body in situations where I don't have time to switch lenses. My wife and I are also planning a trip overseas and I had planned to bring my 5DMkIII ... overkill for a vacation, but I want some nice shots. Then it dawned upon me that I could snatch up a refurbished SL1 from Canon's store for under $400 and use that as my second body AND have a nice travel camera.

So, I just bought the SL1 (refurbished and on sale) for $360, plus the 40mm f/2.8 pancake (again, refurbished and on sale) for $112. Everything should arrive today so I'm excited to play with my new camera. My wife is a budding photographer but she feels intimidated by my 5DMkIII, so I told her she can use the new SL1. This little camera sounds like a win-win for me and will let me save up some money for the 5D Mark IV next year. :)

I'll try to post my experiences with the SL1 in a few weeks after I've had a chance to play with it.

Steve

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »