September 02, 2014, 08:56:26 PM

Author Topic: Hdd/SDD storage for trip  (Read 3356 times)

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Hdd/SDD storage for trip
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »
Need another advice plkease:

I need a mobile, accu-powered >300 GB HDD/SDD with an card reader or the option to switch an card reader on the HDD/SDD to store all the photos I will take, whe I am back in the lodge.
Which one to buy? Should be safe, speed is not the main criteria to buy.

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Hdd/SDD storage for trip
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Hdd/SDD storage for trip
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »

I need a mobile, accu-powered >300 GB HDD/SDD with an card reader or the option to switch an card reader on the HDD/SDD to store all the photos I will take, whe I am back in the lodge.

Thanks

???  I got the mobile and capacity requirements, but a bit confused about the accu-powered and card reader uses.

Would either of these drives (i.e. 500GB capacity) meet your needs:

WD passport: http://www.wd.com   

Seagate:  http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives

Toshiba:  http://www.toshiba.com   
5DMKII, T3i, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »

Thanks

I never use the "digital wallets" - card read, tiny screen or no screen at all, and HDD.  Very expensive what you get.

You can use a laptop/notebook to download to a portable hard drive, typically I use WD pasport or Seagate 1TB drives.  Cost around $90.  For the laptop if you want to minimize weight try a netbook (no recoomendations) or possibly a Macbook Air 11".

I don't think SDD are quite affordable in the size you want (roughly $1/GB).

Good luck

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. Sadly, it seems like most of them were designed poorly and are total junk or insanely over-priced and semi-junk. :(

For my upcoming trip I didn't know the heck I'd do for Magic Lantern RAW video footage since it gobbles up like 4GB every 45 seconds or so. Buying heaps of 1000x CF cards would cost an absurd amount. The $149+ 320GB-500GB storage devices that you talk about that are currently available seem to get reallllly bad reviews, sadly. It's kind of ridiculous there is not a good one on the market, one that even lets you slide in a HD like atomos ninja 2 system.

About the best I've been able to come up with is the new ASUS laptop for $269 at Best Buy with 500GB HD that weighs 4lbs. I guess I could pick one up and then dump it on CL when I get back and hopefully not lose more than $30. It seems to be about the lightest (4lbs, most laptops are 5+ lbs)/cheapest laptop that gives you 500GB for the price and has USB 3.0 connector so card reads won't take forever, although perhaps USB 2.0 could be gotten away with depending how many CF cards and how much shooting and how much time you have to download midday.

Maybe there is some cheap little netbook and then you can plug in a cheap portable 500GB-1TB USB drive??

If anyone has better ideas....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:27:05 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
I tried an earlier version of the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA and although the interface was a bit clunky, it worked flawlessly.  It contains a rechargeable batteries so that it works on its own or plugged in.  Does not require computer to work.  Just turn it on, plug in the card.  Looks like the new versions do wireless transfers as well (I didn't look into these however).

To save money and configure my way, I purchased the empty unit and a compatible hard drive elsewhere.  Easy assembly.  I used the device for a 12 day safari for thousands of raw photos and didn't fill up a 500 GB HDD.  Theoretically, you could bring a second HDD if the first one gets near full, and change it out.  This does not have RAID capability however.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA2-p/hdu2-000.htm

sek
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/philg/2013/01/16/using-a-google-chromebook-as-a-digital-camera-backup-device/

sounds like the chromebooks are not so good for this sort of thing, granted many Canon users don't use exFAT formatting for most things, but that is the way to unlock >40 second continuous magic lantern takes (using exFAT), a shame, since there is one samsung that is 2.43lbs and has a USB 3.0 port.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
I tried an earlier version of the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA and although the interface was a bit clunky, it worked flawlessly.  It contains a rechargeable batteries so that it works on its own or plugged in.  Does not require computer to work.  Just turn it on, plug in the card.  Looks like the new versions do wireless transfers as well (I didn't look into these however).

To save money and configure my way, I purchased the empty unit and a compatible hard drive elsewhere.  Easy assembly.  I used the device for a 12 day safari for thousands of raw photos and didn't fill up a 500 GB HDD.  Theoretically, you could bring a second HDD if the first one gets near full, and change it out.  This does not have RAID capability however.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA2-p/hdu2-000.htm

sek

thanks

I wonder if understands exFAT formatted cards and what it does if it hits upon non-standard files, like Canon ML RAW video. I assume it just tries to copy over any all files, but you never know.

I thought I saw someone say something about it got confused by certain types of advanced CF cards thoughm but perhaps not.

It is nice and small and light, although you can get a laptop with 500GB drive for only $20 more. Still the size might make it great for most people. And you plug in a cheap extra large capacity drive.

For someone wanting to do stuff like me, transfering lots of ML RAW, 27MB/s means like 36min or so to transfer each 64GB over. And I wonder if it wouldn't get confused by UDMA 7 cards or exFAT cards and how you could verify non-standard files had even transferred at all.

EDIT: hmm sounds like it only supports and transfers specific formats, so great for stills only shooters, but if you do DSLR video, even internal, never mind non-standard, I fear it wouldn't even attempt to transfer the files at all, so definitely no good for me then

seems like it is samsung netbook (2.8lbs unit alone although you still need to add an external HD) and live with 45 second takes and hope it recognizes all your cards or the ASUS at Best Buy for $269 (model:  X401U-BE20602Z; 4.1lbs).

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:06:23 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Another option is the $229 Acer Aspire One with 320GB included. Only USB 2.0 support. 2.9lbs. It plus external drive for an additional 1TB-2TB is still under 4lbs and total price $299 for 1.3TB of HD space (with 1TB WD passport).

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
I would be cautious about the cheaper portable HDD's; sent a very new one back after it cratered a few months ago and then read some super scary reviews. [Impulse buy]. I now try to stick with WD or LaCie. Don't use any cheap media to back up your shots. I copy mine to my MacBook Air for viewing/editing, but keep the originals on the cards.

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
I used a very geeky option for a recent two week long RV trip: a Raspberry Pi.

Pi $35
Pi Case $6
Travel WiFi Hotspot $20 (I liked it better than the $10 wifi dongle.)
Powered USB HUB $15

SD Card for the Pi's OS - Lying Around
USB Hard Drive - Lying Around
CF/SD to USB card reader - Lying Around

It worked well.  I installed a VNC server on the Pi and then used either my Nexus pad or iPhone to log into the Pi via VNC client to kick off an rsync script to backup the various cards from the cameras.   

I tried gphoto2 to directly read off the camera but liked the external reader better as I could just use rsync to manage incremental copies.

I also used the Pi as a media server to the various devices in the RV which is did well too.
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »
It's a crying shame Apple didn't put two USB 3.0 ports on their iPads. Pop in a WD 2TB passport and a USB 3.0 card reader and there you'd have it.

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:01:23 AM »
An SSD would be less susceptible to knocks. No moving parts. Just sayin'  :)
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
I am trying to decide whether to take some sort of back up device along on a trip to Africa or just take enough cards. While I like the idea of a backup device, the ones with sufficient capacity are not inexpensive and take up additional weight (I have a 33 pound limit). I would also think that one still might need to keep all of the photos on the cards until you get home. Otherwise, one risks losing all of the photos should the backup device fail or get broken and not just those on perhaps one card. Right now I'm leaning toward just taking cards, but my mind is by no means made up.

My question to all CR readers is: Have you ever had a new card fail on you during a trip that resulted in lost photos?

If yes, please provide details about the card and what happened. Thanks!   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »
Another option is skip the device and go with cards.   More expensive but secure than a digital wallet.   Since you will need 2 wallets, the difference in cost may not be so large depending upon the number and size of your current set of cards (plus you can borrow some maybe).

2 x $300 digital wallet = $600
8 32gb cards (cf) @ $70 = $560

Powder Portraits

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • viewmyimages
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »
I have heard plenty of horror stories of lost data with the portable hard drive storage devices. Here is a rock solid idea. An inexpensive laptop with a dual layer DVD burner, put your images on the laptop hard drive then backup daily to the DVD’s. Then store the DVD’s in another place.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »