July 29, 2014, 11:21:11 PM

Author Topic: Hdd/SDD storage for trip  (Read 3219 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Hdd/SDD storage for trip
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »
I use a Toshiba netbook and a WD Passport Drive. But, I only shoot stills. A found a free RAW viewer (Google?) that I put on the netbook, so I could see what the files looked like.

Plug a cheap card reader into one of the USB ports or just transfer direct from camera to the netbook. Take a quick peek at them and then transfer to the portable drive.

Not the quickest method, but it's cheap and you have a netbook for surfing the web while traveling. If your paranoid, you can always get a second portable drive and keep duplicate files on the second drive.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »
I have heard plenty of horror stories of lost data with the portable hard drive storage devices. Here is a rock solid idea. An inexpensive laptop with a dual layer DVD burner, put your images on the laptop hard drive then backup daily to the DVD’s. Then store the DVD’s in another place.

Hate to shoot this down, but DVD-DL only holds 8.4gb / disk.  Take into account size, the time to spread a 64b card full of raw files across 8-9 disks, you're better off getting more SD/CF cards.

There are lots of similar threads here and other places - most come back to the answer that it's either the HyperDrive like devices or drag along your laptop and external drives.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Powder Portraits

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • viewmyimages
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »
I have heard plenty of horror stories of lost data with the portable hard drive storage devices. Here is a rock solid idea. An inexpensive laptop with a dual layer DVD burner, put your images on the laptop hard drive then backup daily to the DVD’s. Then store the DVD’s in another place.

Hate to shoot this down, but DVD-DL only holds 8.4gb / disk.  Take into account size, the time to spread a 64b card full of raw files across 8-9 disks, you're better off getting more SD/CF cards.

There are lots of similar threads here and other places - most come back to the answer that it's either the HyperDrive like devices or drag along your laptop and external drives.

I guess my old film days are showing a DVD-DL will hold over 200 raw files that's 6 rolls of film. I always found it hard to shoot 50 plus rolls of film in a day.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
If you don't do video, you can get away with a ton of CF cards, especially since for many trips you don't 1000x $$$ cards. If you do video it's a bit trickier. If you do Magic Lantern RAW video as I plan to the CF card route is just insane, since nothing less than the very top 1000x CF cards are fast enough and a 32GB card only stores like 7minutes or something and they cost $$$$. You need to transfer so much that USB 3.0 helps. So far the ASUS I mentioned plus a WD passport (all USB 3.0 so that should help speed) seems like one of the few options.

Years ago I used one of those digital wallet with HD, it was very finicky, very, but I managed to both safely store and retrieve everything, it was hairy at times, but not one pic was lost.  These days I'd be more prone to getting a ton of slow large CF cards since the cost isn't so bad for that now. Providing you intend to stick to stills or, at the least, avoid doing RAW video.

mdmphoto

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 03:15:13 PM »
I have an Epson storage viewer that I only use when shooting events where I want to show off some raw images to the client before departing at the end, i.e. weddings, parties, and so on. It’s a cute marketing item, but not nearly enough capacity for travel.  When travelling I use several high capacity memory cards that I download/implore through Lightroom to a usb hdd attached to my laptop that stays in the room.  I hadn’t thought of using a netbook while on the go, but I am now intrigued to find a raw viewer for my transformer 101 (my 7-year old will be less than pleased) so afford me the option.
Anyway, I used wd passports until I had failure issues with 2 out of 5; I was able to recover one drive, but the one with spectacular Chicago Bulls game/ Derrick Rose pix on it is still resolutely locked-up for 2 years now.  Not giving up on that particular drive yet ( great shots if I can ever recover them), but I did give up on wd after years of trusting them.
I’d been using Seagate portables until just recently.  Bought 2 online, filled on halfway and then opened the second one about 2 1/1 months later only to discover it doa.  The retailer referred me to Seagate since the was past 30 days.  Seagate hemmed and hawed until finally sending me a refurbished drive at my shipping expense: same excuse, length of time since I bought the drive. Okay. I got the replacement.  I don’t trust it much. I don’t trust Seagate at all anymore.
Silicon Power:  happened upon this drive on sale at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-2-5-Inch-Military-SP010TBPHDA80S3B/dp/B005EWTL7C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371926915&sr=8-2&keywords=silicon+power
Good solid feel, plain-spoken 3-year warranty, and inexpensive.  So far I am mighty pleased, as it’s worked well so far with no boot or other issues.  Ordered a second one for my upcoming trip.  We’ll see how it goes.
Silicon Power website:
http://www.silicon-power.com/product/product_detail.php?main=19&sub=58&pro=132&currlang=utf8
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
Recommendations for new HDD.  Fill it up at least once before you go on a trip.  Anything will do.  Just write and write and write to it.   HDD are most likely to fail when new.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »