October 02, 2014, 01:41:34 PM

Author Topic: 1D X Product Advisory  (Read 25570 times)

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Product Advisory
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »
Man, are CaNikon unable to produce a trouble-free product, even at these price levels?  This would be a pain in the behind  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »

heheapa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 10:54:29 AM »
Just curious how Canon compensate his customer's time and effort in bringing the camera to their customer service centre for inspect and repair, which the issue is on their fault.
And the camera need to be stayed there for more than a day, which I need to spend another day and effort to collect the camera back? And the outcome is I may get more problem after the service....

What if I only take the camera back when I start getting AF problem? Do I need to prove it's due to not enough lubricant and if I will get a charge of boom for the AF replacement?

to bring or not to bring is a question.

I sent Canon Singapore an email and I have got a call today. I was asked to bring the camera back for "FIRMWARE updated". I have never seen a firmware update statement in US Canon advisory. So I really worry what will they do on the camera. So, I will wait ....

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
I think I will just use until it breaks and get a replacement shutter instead.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

randym77

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »
All the time I spent cleaning spatters of oil off my sensor when I first got my 1D X, and now I'm supposed to send it back...for insufficient lubrication?    ;D

How is everyone doing this?  Do you just use the form on the Canon web site?  Go through a local dealer?  Never sent a camera back to Canon before.

Cannon Man

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
I don't think many people will find the markings on their camera. I would think they started marking them right after they figured out what was wrong. And i think that is less than a month ago because i bought my 1D X 3 weeks ago and it doesn't have the markings yet.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
Well canon called me today and they are collecting it tomorrow,should have it next week,now i am worried about oil and whether it will still be properly weather sealed when i get it back do you think they could mess that up?

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »
Well canon called me today and they are collecting it tomorrow,should have it next week,now i am worried about oil and whether it will still be properly weather sealed when i get it back do you think they could mess that up?

Correct my if I'm wrong but I think they will use the lens mount to enter the camera and get
It done so they won't actually loosen a single screw and therefor the weather sealing is untouched.

The oil splatter, well, that is pretty much a guess. Be sure to run your camera at 12 fps and really make it work so you can see as soon as possible if it splatters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 06:47:43 PM »
Like Bornshooter Canon called me today to arrange pick up tomorrow hopefully although UPS tend not to deliver to my town on a Thursday, so we'll see. Pretty certain if I had not registered on that link I posted previously or made contact with them I would not have got that call, I'd be interested to see if any others received unsolicited calls. My previous experience with lube splatter is not good so I'll be sure to run it at 14fps on its return.

Oh and the UK cps rep emailed out all UK cps members early this evening to advise of the issue. Baffling why Canon can't coordinate the release of these recalls across their regions, not a big deal I know but basically UK owners would have found out via forums like this one, or a few days after their American cousins via that email, not sure about other regions. Pretty sure cps reps would prefer not to hear about it from customers too.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »
Just curious, If anyone having one the affected bodies has actually experienced the problem(s)? If so, what was your shutter count?

Also, anyone with an affected body that has a ton of use (shutter count) and no problems so far?  What is your shutter count.  I am sure some of you could be approaching 100K or more shutter activations by now!

I have not contacted Canon yet.  However, from the posts here, it appears some users received return shipping labels from Canon...did they also cover the insurance?  I checked with UPS, and they charge $10 USD per $100 in insurance coverage...that's $69 USD!

It's kind of ironic, I was just out near Irvine, CA earlier this week visiting my draughter!  If this had come out one day sooner, I could have just dropped it off before returning to Albuquerque!  Just my luck!
EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
Just curious, If anyone having one the affected bodies has actually experienced the problem(s)? If so, what was your shutter count?

As I mentioned in an earlier post I only got the camera in March, but have shot over 20,000 images thus far and I have a funny feeling I may have seen the issue the advisory refers to, but can't be certain.

I have had times when the AF would not lock and the image in the viewfinder was blurry, but I always put the former down to poor skill, and the latter down to bad eye sight (even though I am 20/20), fatigue, a dirty viewfinder or something else. It is difficult to explain, but if you are shooting an important match, you are sweating and/or it is raining etc it is difficult to know what is happening.

If, as I suspect, I did have the AF lock and blurry view finder issue, then it was not constant, but intermittent in that it would come and go, which is another reason I did not suspect the camera.

I will be sending mine to CPS as soon as I am able, so probably in a week or two. Have been told they need it for around 3 working days.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:26:58 PM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »
45k actuations on mine, and haven't experienced the problem once, got mine a year ago..

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »
Called CPS on Tuesday and overnight end both my 1Dx to them (NJ).   Due back today.   Leaving next week for Africa so I was uncertain if I should have the service done before I go - hope they did a good job.   Service is beyond excellent!!!

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
Mine is gone today to Canon. I hope it doen't take long to get it back.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 04:19:50 AM »
I would love to keep this thread going so we can see what the results of the serviced cameras are like. Problem fixed? How long did it take? Did the splatter the sensor, mirror etc.

Cannon Man

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 05:33:29 AM »
The earliest time they had for the repair in Finland was 1:st of july.
I still have to wait a while. I am also interested in hearing how the repair goes for everyone else when they get them back.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 05:33:29 AM »