November 28, 2014, 09:00:16 AM

Author Topic: 1D X Product Advisory  (Read 27228 times)

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
1D X Product Advisory
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024809120b7

Would this be another 1D Mark III debacle?  Thoughts and experiences.

Update: Based on serial no. and lack of markings, mine is affected.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:43:40 AM by Dwight »

canon rumors FORUM

1D X Product Advisory
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Product Advisory
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:44:51 PM »
I guess mine will have to be 'inspected and repaired free of charge'.  Rather annoying...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
I guess mine will have to be 'inspected and repaired free of charge'.  Rather annoying...

You know it!  Annoying is an understatement.  Haven't checked mine...will get back to you all on this.  Not very positive on mine though (purchased 11/12), but have my fingers crossed that I won't have to send mine out [(or take it there) Irvine].

I haven't noticed either of the 2 phenomena listed.  Judging by the Egret photos you've posted on the '1D X Sample Images', you don't have an apparent issue as well.  We'll see how all this plays out...

trowski

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:27 AM »
I wouldn't rush to send in your 1D X. I'm guessing that wear is only a problem on higher milage cameras... and maybe yours has enough lube anyway. I would wait until it's convenient or you are sending it in for some other reason.

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »

Crap...mine too.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:43:48 AM »
My 1D X is also affected - although I have contacted CPS (by email) to verify as I am not in the USA.

As I do not have the markings, and the sixth number of the serial number is one of the bad ones, I am not hopeful.

I only got the camera in March but have shot over 20,000 images thus far and I have a funny feeling I may have seen the issue the advisory refers to, but can't be certain. I have had times when the AF would not lock and the image in the viewfinder was blurry, but I always put the former down to poor skill, and the latter down to bad eye sight (even though I am 20/20), fatigue, a dirty viewfinder or something else.

I wonder how long they need to keep it for.

Dwight - thanks for the heads up!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Cannon Man

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 01:45:53 AM »
What i don't like about this is that i bought a 1DX just under 3 weeks ago and have been proud of it's 400 000 shutter life and now they tell me that most probably your drive mechanism will fail long before that, hahaha.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 01:45:53 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 01:53:07 AM »
What i don't like about this is that i bought a 1DX just under 3 weeks ago and have been proud of it's 400 000 shutter life and now they tell me that most probably your drive mechanism will fail long before that, hahaha.

They're not really saying that, they are saying send it in and let them fix the issue for free.

Hats off to them for telling us and being proactive. How many companies would have kept quiet. I am impressed - annoyed, but still impressed.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:02 AM »
Does anyone who has registered their camera on the Canon website ever get emails with these service notices?  I have yet to get a single email except for ads pushing Powershots and printers.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:37 AM »

just got a pair and going to Africa next week.  argh !!!

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:37 AM »
45k shutter since I got mine in feb and falls into the category. Not too worried.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »

Yep, me too, both my 1Dx Bodies fall into the "affected" zone, heading out tonight for 6 weeks Tanzania/Iceland, you can almost bet one of them will "Become Blurry".

And Honestly I'm not impressed, both my Bodies are Registered, if I hadn't read it on CR I wouldn't know until the Body crapped out.

I had the 1DMK III, that was a Never Ending Story, well, it did end, I sold the piece of Garbage.
The 5DMK III Light Leak, 2 Bodies
Now the 1Dx

I guess 3 Trouble Free 5DMK II and 1 trouble Free 1DMK IV is something to be grateful for.

And it's no good looking to the Dark Side, their Track Record is just as Bad as Canons.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »
My 1D X is also affected - although I have contacted CPS (by email) to verify as I am not in the USA.

As I do not have the markings, and the sixth number of the serial number is one of the bad ones, I am not hopeful.

I only got the camera in March but have shot over 20,000 images thus far and I have a funny feeling I may have seen the issue the advisory refers to, but can't be certain. I have had times when the AF would not lock and the image in the viewfinder was blurry, but I always put the former down to poor skill, and the latter down to bad eye sight (even though I am 20/20), fatigue, a dirty viewfinder or something else.

I wonder how long they need to keep it for.

Dwight - thanks for the heads up!

Have to say I've noticed the "Blurry Images" phenomena as well, but up until now I've put it down to too many Sundowners.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
So they will just lubricate it or replace something ? I guess we'll see some oilsplatted sensor if lube is all they will do to fix this  :o
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Cannon Man

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:52:10 AM »
So they will just lubricate it or replace something ? I guess we'll see some oilsplatted sensor if lube is all they will do to fix this  :o

That's what i'm afraid of.. Every time i send my camera for repair in Finland they do fix the problem but they don't take good care of the camera.

I replaced the bottom lcd screen (plastic) on my old 1D Mark IV and they replaced the glass with a new one but the new glass was slanted and it had a ton of dust inside like they swapped the glass at a construction site.

In short, i don't like canon service in Finland and will send a million complaints to canon if they mess up my new 1D X at "repair/service"

Also i have a question.. canon said this:
"Potentially affected cameras will be inspected and repaired free of charge. If you own one of the potentially affected cameras please contact our Customer Support Center"

Does it mean that my newly bought 1D X is potentially affected because it belongs to the group of "insufficient lubrication" OR does it mean that i can only get it repaired after the symptoms appear? (a.k.a after there is already wear and damage to the camera)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:02:09 AM by Cannon Man »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:52:10 AM »