September 19, 2014, 04:00:19 AM

Author Topic: 1D X Product Advisory  (Read 25168 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Product Advisory
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 04:00:39 AM »
Does anyone who has registered their camera on the Canon website ever get emails with these service notices?  I have yet to get a single email except for ads pushing Powershots and printers.

I have every bit of Canon Kit I own Registered through Canon Singapore, never had an email in 10 years.

They handle repair/service without any issue and I've no complaint about that at all, but emails ?? Service notices ?? Advisories ?? You may as well live on neptune.

Nada
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 04:00:39 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 04:59:34 AM »
I have a question.. canon said this:
"Potentially affected cameras will be inspected and repaired free of charge. If you own one of the potentially affected cameras please contact our Customer Support Center"

Does it mean that my newly bought 1D X is potentially affected because it belongs to the group of "insufficient lubrication" OR does it mean that i can only get it repaired after the symptoms appear? (a.k.a after there is already wear and damage to the camera)

It means that if you do not have the A mark, nor the black mark and your 1D X falls into the affected category as described in their advisory then they will repair it foc. You do not have to wait for any symptoms to appear.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 05:21:11 AM »
trowski - "I wouldn't rush to send in your 1D X. I'm guessing that wear is only a problem on higher milage cameras..."

Agreed.

expatinasia - "...the image in the viewfinder was blurry..."  "...the latter down to bad eye sight (even though I am 20/20), fatigue, a dirty viewfinder or something else."

Same experience.

"I wonder how long they need to keep it for."

Have yet to contact Canon on this.  I'm not losing sleeping over this for now.  Let's all help each other out and keep everyone abreast.

"Dwight - thanks for the heads up!"

You bet.  Just passing along info, that's all.

"Hats off to them for telling us and being proactive. How many companies would have kept quiet. I am impressed - annoyed, but still impressed."

Agreed.  Again, for now, I won't lose sleep over these phenomena.

Chris Burch - "Does anyone who has registered their camera on the Canon website ever get emails with these service notices?"

Nope.  I just found the advisory by browsing through Canon's site.

eml58 - "The 5DMK III Light Leak"

Have it too.  Got mine the day it was released.  I thought we all agreed that it was a non-issue?  Haven't had mine fixed...and I've been to Irvine a couple of times since I got the 5DM3 (non-related issues with other cameras/lenses).

"Trouble Free 5DMK II"

Same.

"And it's no good looking to the Dark Side, their Track Record is just as Bad as Canons.

Can't believe you just said that, eml58.  With all your cameras and lenses, I'd hold off even contemplating about switching over; like you said, "their Track Record is just as Bad".  I wouldn't even think about crossing over to the "Dark Side"!

"Have to say I've noticed the "Blurry Images" phenomena as well"

Yup, same experience.

Cannon Man - "In short, i don't like canon service in Finland"

Sorry to hear about your experience.  My experience, so far, with Canon US in Irvine, CA has been nothing short of good.

"Does it mean that my newly bought 1D X is potentially affected because it belongs to the group of "insufficient lubrication" OR does it mean that i can only get it repaired after the symptoms appear?"

The advisory states it lucidly.  If your camera/s serial no./s fall into the affected products and do not have the markings, your camera/s is/are "potentially" affected.  If your camera/s is/are "potentially" affected, it/they will be "inspected and repaired free of charge".

Like expatinasia said, Canon is being proactive about this.  For now, I'll take the "wait-see" attitude on this.  The 1D Mark III debacle was handled in a different manner, IMO, so there was a lot of outcry in regards to that model.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »
Can't believe you just said that, eml58.  With all your cameras and lenses, I'd hold off even contemplating about switching over; like you said, "their Track Record is just as Bad".  I wouldn't even think about crossing over to the "Dark Side"!

Me either Dwight, shot from the Hip I guess, Fingers onto the Key Board before the thought Processes went into gear Syndrome, Now I'm feeling Guilty, Crap, I hope no one from Canon read my comment, they'll Jinx my Gear as Payback or Spit in the CF Card Slot when I send it in for more Lubrication, with the comment "All Good, we Lubricated It".
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:19 AM »
... i have a question.. canon said this:
"Potentially affected cameras will be inspected and repaired free of charge. If you own one of the potentially affected cameras please contact our Customer Support Center"

Does it mean that my newly bought 1D X is potentially affected because it belongs to the group of "insufficient lubrication" OR does it mean that i can only get it repaired after the symptoms appear? (a.k.a after there is already wear and damage to the camera)

It means call Canon now, they will arrange for you to send it in now, they'll inspected and if there is insufficient lubrication, they will fix it. Presumably if there's no need to do anything, they won't.  Except maybe blow a little dust inside just for funsies...   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

theobdt

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
Wow...I just got my 1Dx in May and it meets the criteria to have an issue. I'm not too worried about it just yet.

heheapa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »
Potentially Affected Products
    1. EOS-1D X: If the sixth digit of the serial number is “1”, “2”, “3”, “4”, “5”, “6” or “7”, the phenomena described above may occur.

My serial number is:
xxxxx10xxxxx

So is my camera affected?  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »

PaulTopol

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
Where can I find this advisory on the Australian website?
I got a "1" and no markings. Been suspicious of mine since I bought it.
Told, and agreed with, that it was my technique. Never had the same problem with my 1Dmk2.
Still, love the shots I get with my 1dx.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »
Potentially Affected Products
    1. EOS-1D X: If the sixth digit of the serial number is “1” ... the phenomena described above may occur.

My serial number is:
(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)1(7)(8)(9)(10)(11)(12)

Gee, I dunno... let's count to six, shall we?
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
It seems like Canon knew about the problem during manufacturing and the units with the A or black markings in the battery compartment could be units with some bandaid fix in place. Looks like a design issue.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:08:39 AM by mrmarks »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
It seems like Canon knew about the problem during manufacturing and the units with the A or black markings in the battery compartment could be units with some bandaid fix in place. Looks like a design issue.

Applying a fix during manufacturing is a common practice.  Also, anyone who sends theirs in for service will have it come back with one of those marks.

Design issue?  Not sure that 'insufficient lubrication' is a design issue, and I wouldn't call adding the needed lubricant a 'bandaid fix'. Or do you have evidence of duplicity on Canon's part?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

crasher8

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
I hope they use some high quality dust and not the pedestrian crap they blow into the T2i when I sent it in.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
Does anyone who has registered their camera on the Canon website ever get emails with these service notices?  I have yet to get a single email except for ads pushing Powershots and printers.

I have every bit of Canon Kit I own Registered through Canon Singapore, never had an email in 10 years.

They handle repair/service without any issue and I've no complaint about that at all, but emails ?? Service notices ?? Advisories ?? You may as well live on neptune.

Nada

When I remember to register my camera (not through CPS but canon - too bad they are not connected) I do get emails about new firmware (5DM3 recently came) as well as some recall/service notices (1DM3 I think it was).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »

John

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
i have had this issue with my 1DX. i talked to a canon rep and they seemed baffled as to what was causing the problem. i sent the camera in about a month ago and canon told me that my camera was fine. they then sent it back to me with the same issue unresolved. it didn't instill confidence in me that repair services had a handle on the problem. the problem was intermittent and they apparently couldn't duplicate it. i am glad tha canon has finally figured out what is going on.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »

Applying a fix during manufacturing is a common practice.  Also, anyone who sends theirs in for service will have it come back with one of those marks.

Design issue?  Not sure that 'insufficient lubrication' is a design issue, and I wouldn't call adding the needed lubricant a 'bandaid fix'. Or do you have evidence of duplicity on Canon's part?

Agree with NA.  This is not a big deal.  Just to be safe I same ending mine in.  Only problem is I am leaving next week for major trip so I sure hope that can turn the camera around in 24-48 hours.  I called and they said they could do, so let's hope they are correct.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »