September 22, 2014, 10:55:13 PM

Author Topic: 1D X Product Advisory  (Read 25333 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Product Advisory
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
I just received the advisory by email from Canon USA.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »

surfer57

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »
I also just got the email from Canon. Serial numbers match but I do not have my camera body currently as it is being fitted for a new waterhousing. Guess we'll see when it comes back. I know I didn't have the "A" marking but the little black mark on the battery rail is not as noticeable.

DHaass

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

Me too.  Always have received them via email, usually about the same time it's announced on the web.

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »
Potentially Affected Products
    1. EOS-1D X: If the sixth digit of the serial number is “1”, “2”, “3”, “4”, “5”, “6” or “7”, the phenomena described above may occur.

My serial number is:
xxxxx10xxxxx

So is my camera affected?  ;D

well... english to me is a second language since i grew up and went to school and in another country.  however, to my understand yours is call "number' instead of "digit".  feel free to correct me as if i am wrong

Rob Wiebe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • J D Robert Wiebe Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »
This may seem like a dumb question but I wonder if I count the zero as the first number in the serial?  or first number, not zero?

0xxxx2xxxxxx  or

7xxxx0xxxxx 

I guess I could call LOL
1DX, Sony A7R, Sony RX100 III (ordered) and lots of " L" lenses

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »
yeah send them in and get more oil splattered on your sensor when you start using it,im not concerned ill keep shooting for now ;)

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »

Just got mine too. Have not noticed this yet @ 45k shutter but again, not too worried

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
I guess mine will have to be 'inspected and repaired free of charge'.  Rather annoying...

+1 Mine too   :(

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
Just had my 1D-X in the shop for adjustment about a month ago, at which time they adjusted the auto-focus assembly.  I also happen to have one of the "affected" cameras, even though I am no presently experiencing the symptoms of poor auto-focus performance.  I'm a CPS Gold Member, so I just called the CPS Service Center that serviced the camera to find out if they happened to have dealt with the lubrication issue while it was in the shop even though my paperwork didn't say anything about it. Unfortunately, that was far enough back that they did not yet know about the advisory, so the work was not done then. 

They were very helpful and offered to send me a FedEx waybill or code to send my camera back to them free of charge to get serviced.  I am presently using the camera too frequently to part with it for a week, so I asked if the opportunity to have it serviced at Canon's expense would expire at some point, and I was told that it does not expire.  So, for those who are interested, you can wait until it's convenient to send it in (or until you experience the problem) and then call CPS to have it serviced at Canon's expense.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »
Just had my 1D-X in the shop for adjustment about a month ago, at which time they adjusted the auto-focus assembly.  I also happen to have one of the "affected" cameras, even though I am no presently experiencing the symptoms of poor auto-focus performance.  I'm a CPS Gold Member, so I just called the CPS Service Center that serviced the camera to find out if they happened to have dealt with the lubrication issue while it was in the shop even though my paperwork didn't say anything about it. Unfortunately, that was far enough back that they did not yet know about the advisory, so the work was not done then. 

They were very helpful and offered to send me a FedEx waybill or code to send my camera back to them free of charge to get serviced.  I am presently using the camera too frequently to part with it for a week, so I asked if the opportunity to have it serviced at Canon's expense would expire at some point, and I was told that it does not expire.  So, for those who are interested, you can wait until it's convenient to send it in (or until you experience the problem) and then call CPS to have it serviced at Canon's expense.
Thanks for the info i will send mines in after summer :-)

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
I read this on CR this morning in the UK and I have to say I was first of all miffed to have to read about it on CR and then on the Canon USA site, I haven't seen any mention of it on the UK or Europe site which I think is pretty poor. I emailed my cps rep right away to ask about procedure and he referred my email to Service. I also contacted service directly. 2 different responses, Service direct said I had to arrange to send it in at my cost presumably, despite me including a link to the USA page highlighting its a warranty issue. The answer I got from the cps directed Service rep asked me to register my body with this link and they will contact me to arrange collection.

https://www.didp.canon-europa.com/web/cwpextra.nsf/WebPage?OpenForm&pid=8AC99E6AEAD6EDDBC125755F0040A379&rid=C3C1814A59174259C125755F0040B3E8&language=English&country=UK

My kit is cps registered which didn't seem to make any difference, when you complete the form and submit you get a white screen with no message to tell you if its been registered or not. Useless.

I'm also miffed because I have had my 1Dx back with Canon twice since I bought it in August last year to have the sensor cleaned due to the suspected lubricant splatters as posted about on here and other forums. 2nd time I got it back they said it was a goodwill gesture blah blah blah when it was clearly rectifying a defect. I was less than chuffed about the insinuation that the dirty sensor was my fault. On both occasions I have got it back there has been more dust in the body than it went away with and I'm talking hairs etc visible through the viewfinder. After I got their note about the "good will gesture" I took images through the viewfinder showing all the visible artefacts and mailed it to them along with images showing all the sensor marks one month after purchase and a couple of months after the first clean. Not surprisingly they did not respond and when prompted they suggested I take it up with the repair centre!

So when it goes in this time I'm expecting it to come back with a potato field in it....
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

grimson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 04:32:34 AM »
If you register for CPS you have to add the serial number of the camera and lenses. Why can't Canon derive from that list the affected serial numbers and send a custom e-mail to the CPS owner of the camera?

That would be a +++ service.

(I do not own a 1Dx camera but I am CPS registered)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:34:12 AM by grimson »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 05:30:42 AM »
I think it is important to remember that CPS differs (a lot) from country to country. How they are set up, and how they operate can be completely different So what maybe the norm for one CPS member, may not be the norm for another.

I just wanted to remind people of that as there is a global audience here on CR and sometimes it is easy to forget.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 05:30:42 AM »

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:20 AM »
Yep mine has to go too. A bit annoyed as everyone else, but still glad that Canon is proactive in this matter
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »
yeah send them in and get more oil splattered on your sensor when you start using it,im not concerned ill keep shooting for now ;)

Yeah, I was thinking that too.  I had a 1DsM3 with too much oil and it soaked my sensor to the point where I had to send it in to be repaired.  I probably could have made some money on all the oil that was in that sucker!  I don't want my 1Dx to come back the same way.  My serial number is in the affected group but I have not looked for the markings yet.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »