July 31, 2014, 10:52:17 PM

Author Topic: When out & about, how do y'all respond to gear small talk?  (Read 15733 times)

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: When out & about, how do y'all respond to gear small talk?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 03:06:08 AM »
If I am in the street or the wild, most people look around, what's there I find interesting and they don't see.
If there is a comment, I always stay polite.

The Mae West quote was quite funny!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 03:06:08 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 03:27:47 AM »
In Glasgow it's usually things like 'what are you doing big man?' (Em, taking a picture?) 'Gonna take a photo of me?' (Naw) 'Is this gonna be in a newspaper' (aye, It's for an article on nosey b@st@rds)

If, in certain parts of Glasgow, people ask you 'was that expensive?' or 'Are you fae the social' then you are probably about to be parted from your kit, which may be then pawned if you are lucky, or wrapped around your head if you are not.  Retreat to car.

I don't really do small talk, i'll suss within 2s whether somebody is into it, and may be rewarding to talk to, or whether they are just dull gearheads (present company excluded of course)

TBH i'm more interested in what kind of photography somebody does, who their influences are, if they talk a good game I may exchange flickr names.  Unfortunately, despite being blessed with a massively diverse range of scenery, and despite great gear being relatively attainable many serious hobbyists in Scotland spend their time trying to recreate last years Joe Cornish or Colin Prior calender (both excellent FYI) I don't think there are any more interesting images to be taken of Eilean Donan, Black Rock, or the old man of storr, it's like bingo or trainspotting.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:03:29 AM by paul13walnut5 »

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 03:39:46 AM »
When someone says "Nice Camera! or Nice Lens!" I just say "Thank You." I'm not sure if the last guy who said Nice Camera wanted to talk about photography or cameras. I may try to get a conversation going next time, or not. I get into myself and picture taking when I'm out taking pics. I have to remind myself to look around for Bears etc. and be aware of my surroundings. So far people have been nice. I appreciated talking to the guy who had a 7D when my 40D was acting up and I was thinking of getting a 7D. His answers to my questions helped me to decide to buy. Most people like to be friendly and talk to strangers when they are out enjoying their surroundings. If someone starts to say expensive gear it's time to take out my tripod and keep it between them and my stuff!
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:33 AM »

She's a special lady. And me being a gentleman, naturally I asked if she wanted to stroke my lens.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:08 AM »
I have had a couple of girls say to me its massive,made me smile lol

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 05:01:35 AM »
Different cameras definitely attract different levels of interest.  Nobody bats an eyelid at my Canon cameras.  But I can't get too far with my new toy (Fuji X-E1) without someone asking about it.  For a camera that sells in very low volume, there is a reasonable awareness about it and I get a few questions about how it handles and autofocus.  I'll also get people come close to take a look and not say anything, but a "G'day, how ya goin'" gets them talking.  I probably encourage them a bit.

My old Yashica GSN also drew a lot of attention.  So maybe it is the whole shiny, silver camera thing.

Most people I come across in this way aren't "gear heads" as such, but just have a genuine interest in photography.  I also suspect that many of them are probably better photographers than me and like talking to people with a shared interest.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »
If I am in the street or the wild, most people look around, what's there I find interesting and they don't see.
If there is a comment, I always stay polite.

Did the quote get deleted? 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 07:03:10 AM »
My normal response is "I'm compensating..." and look at them to see if they get it ;)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 07:27:42 AM »
Wandering round the local public gardens where I take a lot of pictures, armed with my 7D and 70-200mm f/4 L IS , some little kid goes to its mum:

"Mummy, why has that man got a gun?"

"No, that's just a flash camera."
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »
I see a lot of people who take pictures with their hoods reversed. I've been tempted to ask them what that's all about but I've resisted and just went about my business with my lens hood the right way on hoping they'll take the hint.

I get asked the basic small talk like "what kind of camera is that?" Etc. I think I'm going to start making up bullshit to see if they clock on.

Question I like answering are ones about technique or specific to what I'm doing. Then it feels like I'm helping them rather then them just filling an awkward silence.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
My wife told me that story last week. She received similiar comments in public when shooting with my RX1. In addtion, they asked her "how the camera performs in low light?"

I highly doubt that an ave Joe would know much about RX1, must be the photogs ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:35:13 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:22 AM »
I see a lot of people who take pictures with their hoods reversed. I've been tempted to ask them what that's all about but I've resisted and just went about my business with my lens hood the right way on hoping they'll take the hint.

I get asked the basic small talk like "what kind of camera is that?" Etc. I think I'm going to start making up bullshit to see if they clock on.

Question I like answering are ones about technique or specific to what I'm doing. Then it feels like I'm helping them rather then them just filling an awkward silence.

I see that all the time too and bugs me, sure keeping the hood like that can protect the lens in transport, but otherwise most of those kind of users appear have no clue what they're for, or what they are at all.
I have a hood on and get the question "what's that" or "why do you keep your hood on indoors??".

Speaking of gear talk and what not, and little different, but last wedding I was using my 5DII and in the crowd is a guy with a 5DIII, a 70-200LII, an 85L and a 24L, all untouchable gear to me, my Sigma gear can match pretty close (70-200 OS, 35mm 1.4) but man am I jealous... I was renting a 100mm macro, could have rented that stuff too though.
We later hooked up and chat a bit, neat guy, says photography is just a hobby, and true that when something's an interest you can spend all you want but when it's something you aim to make something off of then suddenly it's a lot more "unaffordable". Whenever someone asks how much my gear costs I tend to continue the conversation down another path or say "well, with enough work I can afford this", I start to feel ridiculous when I tell someone how much I've spent... haha

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »
I see a lot of people who take pictures with their hoods reversed. I've been tempted to ask them what that's all about but I've resisted and just went about my business with my lens hood the right way on hoping they'll take the hint. .

I never understood why people leave the good on reversed.   At least take it off if you are not going to use it

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
I see a lot of people who take pictures with their hoods reversed. I've been tempted to ask them what that's all about but I've resisted and just went about my business with my lens hood the right way on hoping they'll take the hint. .

I never understood why people leave the good on reversed.   At least take it off if you are not going to use it
The only  can think of is when it is cloudy, they do have a filter for protection and want to be able to put it in the bag quickly  grabbing a second camera.

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
I just say thanks and continue on.

In the past I have been stopped by a few folks wanting to talk shop...normally I don't mind engaging but there are those times when I just want to do my thing without anyone bugging me - fortunately it's been awhile since anyone has said anything.

It's funny though, the setup that got me the most attention was the 60D + 70-300L...while I was out at a fair with the 5D3 and 24-105 people could almost care less...it's the white lens that really draws attention to itself.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:33:49 AM by Act444 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »