October 24, 2014, 09:01:28 PM

Author Topic: When out & about, how do y'all respond to gear small talk?  (Read 17866 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: When out & about, how do y'all respond to gear small talk?
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Live just outside Glasgow now, from Burns country originally.

Cops are fine 99.9% of the time.  They have handcuffs and are usually quite hardy, so I'm usually nice to them, I know my rights and the law in regard to public filming, I don't push it, and they are usually responding to a public complaint, or because I'm near a 'sensitive' building like a train station etc.

I tell them who I am, what I'm doing, for whom.  Show them ID if required.  They are almost always absolutely fine 'they just have to ask'.  Fine by me.  A lot of togs see this as invasion of their liberty and their rights and get a bit arsey about it.  I repeat: They have handcuffs and are usually quite hardy, so I'm usually nice to them, and we can both quickly get on with our lawful business.

Security guards are the worst.  I get hassle from these guys everytime I'm shooting outside.  As they have no legal powers at all in Scotland on public land I just tell them to phuck oph.  I have no interest at all in trying to negotiate with a zombie.  'I'll need to radio this in to the control room' 'you still here? I thought I told you to phuk oph?' 'You can't speak to me that way' '(high pitched whine) "ooh can peakame ja way"

To be fair when I'm filming with an ENG camera and tripod I'm fairly conspicuous, so I'm an easy target.  I sometimes ask if they have a mobile phone, and do they not think that if I was wanting covert footage I'd use something like that instead.

I was a sentance away from fisticuffs with a mall guard who took exception to the tripod over my back when I was buying a sandwich. 
'Are you taking photos'
'No'
'But thats a camera stand'
'Aye, but I'd need a camera'
'You can't take photos here'
'I'm not'
'Boring me now'
etc etc.
Meanwhile everybody else is filming it, on their iphones....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
Don't get me wrong I wasn't annoyed with the cops, they were actually nice about it. And they could clearly tell it was a waste of their time. Just bummed about the people who called it in.

I know that security guard type. Malls seem to be the worst. Is there something even worth photographing there? What the duece are they worried about? That we might capture hard evidence of superdrugs pricing strategy? Or the 2 for 1 deal on at poundstretchers?

Well anyways, always nice to meet another Scottish, possible Glasweigan, photographer!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
Live just outside Glasgow now, from Burns country originally.

Cops are fine 99.9% of the time.  They have handcuffs and are usually quite hardy, so I'm usually nice to them, I know my rights and the law in regard to public filming, I don't push it, and they are usually responding to a public complaint, or because I'm near a 'sensitive' building like a train station etc.

I tell them who I am, what I'm doing, for whom.  Show them ID if required.  They are almost always absolutely fine 'they just have to ask'.  Fine by me.  A lot of togs see this as invasion of their liberty and their rights and get a bit arsey about it.  I repeat: They have handcuffs and are usually quite hardy, so I'm usually nice to them, and we can both quickly get on with our lawful business.

Security guards are the worst.  I get hassle from these guys everytime I'm shooting outside.  As they have no legal powers at all in Scotland on public land I just tell them to phuck oph.  I have no interest at all in trying to negotiate with a zombie.  'I'll need to radio this in to the control room' 'you still here? I thought I told you to phuk oph?' 'You can't speak to me that way' '(high pitched whine) "ooh can peakame ja way"

To be fair when I'm filming with an ENG camera and tripod I'm fairly conspicuous, so I'm an easy target.  I sometimes ask if they have a mobile phone, and do they not think that if I was wanting covert footage I'd use something like that instead.

I was a sentance away from fisticuffs with a mall guard who took exception to the tripod over my back when I was buying a sandwich. 
'Are you taking photos'
'No'
'Aye, but I'd need a camera'
'You can't take photos here'
'I'm not'
'Boring me now'
etc etc.
Meanwhile everybody else is filming it, on their iphones....
Finally figured out my summer fun. I'm gonna walk about Stockholm shooting security guards. Sweden is possibly the most open country in the world, but the security guys think they're Secret Service with all the authority in the world. My wife will (as always) think I'm childish, but we've known each other for more than 20 years now so she should have gotten used to it by now.

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
I enjoy discussing photography and gear when the opportunity arises.  During a vacation to the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce National Parks last summer, I ran into quite a few serious landscape photographers, many from Europe or Asia.  I had a number of very pleasant discussions about photography techniques, locations and equipment in all three parks.

Closer to home comments are typically "nice camera", "that sure is a big lens", "I bet that equipment get heavy" etc.  I normally give a quick reply unless they seem to be really interested.

Last month I ran into a woman carrying a 5D3 with a 200 2.0L lens at a junior high golf match.  I had my 6D with 135L mounted.  I started a conversation about photography and types of shots she was taking.  Turns out she really didn't know much about photography beyond using the "green square" (dummy) mode and firing away.  She said she just took lots of pictures of everything and sorted out the good ones.  I ask if she shot RAW or JPEG and she had never heard of either and didn't care. 

She said her husband had bought her the camera and several "big" lenses for Christmas, but she didn't like the weight and size - and was often disappointed by the pictures.  She probably would have been far happier with a good quality P&S camera.  I gave her my name and phone number in case she ever wanted to liquidate her heavy equipment for something lighter... :)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:19:39 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
I enjoy discussing photography and gear when the opportunity arises.  During a vacation to the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce National Parks last summer, I ran into quite a few serious landscape photographers, many from Europe or Asia.  I had a number of very pleasant discussions about photography techniques, locations and equipment in all three parks.

Closer to home comments are typically "nice camera", "that sure is a big lens", "I bet that equipment get heavy" etc.  I normally give a quick reply unless they seem to be really interested.

Last month I ran into a woman carrying a 5D3 with a 200 2.0L lens at a junior high golf match.  I had my 6D with 135L mounted.  I started a conversation about photography and types of shots she was taking.  Turns out she really didn't know much about photography beyond using the "green square" (dummy) mode and firing away.  She said she just took lots of pictures of everything and sorted out the good ones.  I ask if she shot RAW or JPEG and she had never heard of either and didn't care. 

She said her husband had bought her the camera and several "big" lenses for Christmas, but she didn't like the weight and size - and was often disappointed by the pictures.  She probably would have been far happier with a good quality P&S camera.  I gave her my name and phone number in case she ever wanted to liquidate her heavy equipment for something lighter... :)

This kinda thing makes me very sad. Really? C'mon I mean a flippin 200 f/2L? What's that like $6000 or more? They shouldn't even sell a big white without some training IMO. I'll put my hand up and say - I have no business even touching a lens like that! I prob wouldn't know how to use it.

A nice EOS-M or SL1 woulda been nice.  Inconsiderate kcirp.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

BumpyMunky

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I wonder what this button does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
As others have said, I typically get the "Nice camera!" comments, to which I respond "Thanks".  Usually that only happens when I have a white lens on.  If a shooter shows a genuine interest and I have the time, I have no trouble talking the why's and wherefore's of my kit.  I usually get some insight on their choices as well.

I had a memorable moment at a music festival I shoot.  I saw a photog toting a DSLR with a large black tele (think 300mm 2.8 esque) through the crowd.  I was shooting with my wide angle at the time, so I mentioned "Brought the cannon out, hey?", doing my part in small talk.   His response, which I doubt I'll ever forget was, "It's not a Canon, it's a Nikon!".   Took me a second to see my unintended pun, and I'm not sure he took it as such and was clarifying, or just thinking he was one-upping me.  I wasn't interested in starting a gear debate, so left it at that.  I thought it was pretty funny nonetheless.   

If I see someone I'd like to chat with, I make sure they're in an idle mode before I approach them, out of respect.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »
I see a lot of people who take pictures with their hoods reversed. I've been tempted to ask them what that's all about but I've resisted and just went about my business with my lens hood the right way on hoping they'll take the hint.

I get asked the basic small talk like "what kind of camera is that?" Etc. I think I'm going to start making up bullshit to see if they clock on.

Question I like answering are ones about technique or specific to what I'm doing. Then it feels like I'm helping them rather then them just filling an awkward silence.

I have been guilty of shooting with my hood reversed...lol...sometimes indoors when i know i just want a quick few shots with it, i leave it resersed cause its easier...same for outdoors..if i know i am just gonna snap a few then go back to another lens, I don't bother putting the hood in the proper position...lol  if i am on an actual shoot though different story!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
I dunno...just struck me as quite odd to hear so many seem to actually almost take offense at someone bothering to speak to them in public at all. I know in the NE of the US, that people aren't quite as friendly as we are in general in the southern US, but I just figured it was mostly up there, but sounds like this is prevalent in much of the world?

I know exactly where you're coming from.

I should add, regarding my zoo memory, I did engage in small chit-chat with the folks at the lion pit. I'm always happy to "talk" gear, as I truly feel passionate about it, and about the prospect of potentially learning something new. Unless I feel that I'm in immediate danger of being mugged, I'm always happy to discuss my gear when approached.

I live in an area (Buffalo, NY region) that has a pretty heavy photographer population. I've experienced firsthand and observed folks being rebuffed by "pros" and the (please forgive me) "hipsters with cameras" when they were approached to talk about their gear. That goes back to me mentioning some carry a "holier than thou" attitude. Of course, different situations call for different reactions, and my good experiences far outweigh the bad.

Now before I put my foot in my mouth, I am speaking solely of experiences in my region. It honestly seems like people are more approachable elsewhere...must be that "New York Minute" mentality, huh? :)

Nice to meet a fellow buffalonian on CR! ---West side here, born and bred!!!

I can concur on most of the comments here.  Oddly enough, for event work I use the 16-35...and even with that lens I get people saying - you must get some great range from that!  I kindly correct them, then snap a shot and show them. 

On the theft level though, buffalo does have some sketchy areas.  I had a buddy that was shooting in the abandoned buildings around the central terminal.  He got held up at gun point (luckily his camera was mounted to tripod in another room for a long exposure).

What i find real interesting though, doing events, how many times do ya'll get the...wow, your taking all these pictures, let me snap one of you?  I am nice so generally i will first put the strap around their neck, then watch to see what they do.   Most will assume it works like a P&S and stare at the blank screen wondering whats wrong...i show them...no you look through here...then they can't find the buttons, then when they are ready...they mash the button down and i here a rapid succession of 6 clicks...lol

Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »
I have met some nice guys and exchanged names and phone numbers. Unfortunately I have also met disgusting professionals!

Now, please professionals DO NOT TAKE ME WRONG. I am not making generalizations in any way. I am just stating the fact (It's a long story...)

Same, previous year I met other people (from different countries) and had exchanged names, contacts and we even went out together that day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »