December 20, 2014, 09:03:07 AM

Author Topic: Favorite new feature in LR 4/5  (Read 2134 times)

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Favorite new feature in LR 4/5
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
So I just upgraded from Lightroom 3 to 5 last night, and although I was mostly too busy sorting thru my photos and doing basic crop/exposure corrections, I did stumble across the radial filter which helped me produce the image below in just a few seconds.

But it got me thinking--what are people's favorite "new" features in 4 and/or 5 ("new" is in parentheses because LR 4 obviously isn't new, but it's features would be new to me.   ;) )

canon rumors FORUM

Favorite new feature in LR 4/5
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite new feature in LR 4/5
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »
Adobe has online videos on how to use new features in both LR4 and LR5.  For LR4, the update to the 2012 process is very important as well as soft proofing, for LR5, the Upright feature and the Radial filter are notable new features.  Photobooks might also be something to consider.

You should definitely go to Adobe TV and view the julieann kost videos, some subtle things might be easy to miss, but be important to you.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
Adobe has online videos on how to use new features in both LR4 and LR5.  For LR4, the update to the 2012 process is very important as well as soft proofing, for LR5, the Upright feature and the Radial filter are notable new features.  Photobooks might also be something to consider.

You should definitely go to Adobe TV and view the julieann kost videos, some subtle things might be easy to miss, but be important to you.

Thanks!  Yeah, I generally know of the resources to find what the new tools are, I'm just curious which ones people are using/enjoying the most. 

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 04:12:03 AM »

Hmm, I was going to stay on LR4 for a while, but started to watch these tutorials. Suddenly I feel what I'm doing is simply not good enough. This place keeps costing me money...  :P

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
My favorites:  Upright, lens profiles, CA removal, NR, settings sync, and good integration with PS.  The biggest issue I have with it is the way it handles watermarks; Any new change must be saved with a new name, which seems a little ridiculous.  Then again if that's my biggest complaint...

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »
I am really enjoying the vastly improved spot removal brush along with the radial filter.  I have used upright some for event work where due to the angle of shooting the geometry is weird.  It seems to work pretty well.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
My favorites:  Upright, lens profiles, CA removal, NR, settings sync, and good integration with PS.  The biggest issue I have with it is the way it handles watermarks; Any new change must be saved with a new name, which seems a little ridiculous.  Then again if that's my biggest complaint...

Jim
I agree.  Deleting the old ones you don't want is not all that intuitive, but can be done.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
I really love the Geotagging feature and Photobook features. Unfortunately its not getting that much attention. I really dont think that lightroom must be bogged down and made into photoshop and unfortunately thats where its headding. I have photoshop and can open it directly from light room. Its cool that you can apply common features to large amounts of files - like filters and white balance etc. But once you reach stuff that you do to single files duplicating photoshop functionality is just bloating lightroom.

I wish that it would greatly expand the Geotagging features. Like using lens focal length to show you interactively on a map your range of view and even from the side - using elevation. Being able to see more of the photo from map view - rather than just small thumbs. Creating cool maps/images showing me where ive been and the shots ive taken so that I can easily create illustrations for print and web. Even assisting in panoramas. And then expanding the photobook features so that I can create complex layouts and reuse with different images/captions/texts so that I can easily create multiple nice books from different images.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:25:53 PM by Wilmark »

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »
I'm loving the radial gradient thingy.  The enhanced "spot removal" is quite nice too and keeps me from using photoshop on many images that used to require a quick hop over to PS.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 700D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f/1.2L, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma classic.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 02:10:28 AM »
Upright.

DFM

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »
I wish that it would greatly expand the Geotagging features.

I agree the Maps module hasn't seen a great deal of work this time around (GPS direction and drag-to-favorites), but the more suggestions engineering get, the better! If you have a spare moment, please summarize your ideas on the feedback site - http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family (just type into the box at the top).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »