September 01, 2014, 08:41:31 PM

Author Topic: friendly reminder!!! Supermoon tomorrow!!!  (Read 7938 times)

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: friendly reminder!!! Supermoon tomorrow!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Here is my Supermoon shot from the night of June 22nd. I used TPE to calculate where the moon was going to rise. What I didn't expect was just how FAST it rose. Seemed like it took 15/20 minutes to go from the horizon to an angle too high to shoot in relation to any buildings on the Brooklyn side. I only had a 70-200 on me, having a 1.4x or longer lens would have been very helpful in this situation.

I like it. Nicely done Dave.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 07:30:31 AM »
Here is my Supermoon shot from the night of June 22nd. I used TPE to calculate where the moon was going to rise. What I didn't expect was just how FAST it rose. Seemed like it took 15/20 minutes to go from the horizon to an angle too high to shoot in relation to any buildings on the Brooklyn side. I only had a 70-200 on me, having a 1.4x or longer lens would have been very helpful in this situation.

Nice shot. I believe however - since the moon is extremely brighter than the bridge - that lowering the highlights to the minimum was not enough. Did you combine 2 different exposures (even from the same raw file)?

strykapose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
looked like every other moon.

typical internet hype.

interesting fact for astronomers.. but doesn´t help a bit to make better images of the moon.

Correct, I have been an amateur astronomer for nearly 20 years, and I didn't even go outside to look because I knew that it wasn't particularly visually interesting. Having said that, I must say that the photo next to the Empire State Building by strykapose is incredible.

A couple of other quick tidbits about imaging the moon:

• The most interesting photos of the moon occur at phases other than the full moon (unless you create a stunning scene like the photo of the moon next to the Empire State Building). That is because when there is a partial moon, the sun hits the craters at angles rather than straight on, so the resulting shadows highlight the craters. With a full moon, the sunlight is almost at the same angle as our visual angle, so there aren't many shadows to highlight. Because of that, I am guessing that the first photo in this thread is a mosaic or blending of a couple of photos taken over a couple of days (which perhaps the OP stated). Otherwise, I don't see how you would be able to see shadows in the craters on both sides of the moon so clearly.
  • Serious lunar imagers actually use webcams rather than DSLRs so that they can get a large number of frames (sometimes hundreds) and merge the best images together with stacking/processing programs. I would love to attempt this but haven't yet.
  • If you do use a DSLR, it takes a fair amount of practice to get the exposure right, because the moon is so bright compared to the dark sky background. HDR can be helpful, but even then it is often best to catch the moon when it is low in the sky and not as bright as when it gets above the atmosphere haze.
  • If you try to get more magnified images, having steady skies is critical. I suffer from a lot of shimmer where I live, so I can never get crisp images at high magnification. A lack of skill and experience doesn't help either  ::)
    Here is a mosaic (http://bartolini.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v85/p1661868389-6.jpg) that I attempted a few years ago with a 20D and a telescope as a lens. It could really use some photoshop help to get rid of the blocky sky background, but I didn't bother. If you want to see a serious mosaic from someone who really knows what they are doing, check this out: http://www.astronomie.be/bart.declercq/Moon_20100323.jpg

Cheers,
Dave

Hamada and Dave, I totally agree with both of you, which is one of the reasons I'd not planned to go shoot the super moon.
I personally felt taking a photo of the Supermoon is about exciting as watching paint dry.
My friend Kirit, [a true amateur tog w no formal art education], really wanted to go.
I've been teaching him about composition, and some things that would make a shot interesting.
With student in tow, we walked up/down the Jersey shoreline until I decided it would be nice to have the Supermoon within the framing of the ESB and New Yorker Hotel.
If I had not have gone, i'm pretty sure he would've shot a photo of the moon, cropped it and have been satisfied.
After he saw how many hits I'd gotten from my "Eclipse" shot, of course he went thru his and posted a similar shot.
Am I upset? No, because I thought out the comp and luck of the moon ducking behind the cloud made it more interesting, plus I've been teaching him about composition.
I do admit I am a little upset because I didn't grab the 5D3 and his D800E blows the 5D2 away.

The point I really want to get to is:
This forum is viewed by many amateurs and first time DSLR owners.
I've seen some stupidly ridiculous questions on here, but I give them credit because they're learning.
True that shooting a picture of the moon may not be exciting to us since we've done it and know there are millions of similar shots, but the excitement comes when a first-timer does it and they are overwhelmed at the results.
Next thing to consider: Composition, How can I take that photo to make it more interesting?

Dave,
Thanks on your comments regarding my photo and the interesting facts about the moon.
I will keep them in mind if I ever consider another moon composition shot.

strykapose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »
A friend called and wanted to shoot the Supermoon. I was hesitant to go but gave in. I grabbed what was avail; 5D2 & 70-200 Mk I, which I use for lightning shots since I'm not too concerned if they get wet. So, the moon pops out for a few minutes, then comes a light drizzle causing all of the other togs to scatter. Then it ducks under a cloud.
So here is my shot, It got "Explored".
I wish I'd grabbed the 5D3 & 70-200 Mk II, as my friend had his D800E & 70-200.
But there goes the saying:
"The Best Camera You Have is the One with You"
To me, its a little soft, but I got the shot.

2013 Supermoon Eclipse from NYC [Explored] by Strykapose, on Flickr

Nice shot. What was the shooting location if I might ask. West of Javits Center?

Thanks. Yes, I was in New Jersey on the pier just south of the Port Imperial Ferry Terminal.

strykapose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
Wow what a great shot. I like the skyscrappers and the neon lights.

Thank You

strykapose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
A friend called and wanted to shoot the Supermoon. I was hesitant to go but gave in. I grabbed what was avail; 5D2 & 70-200 Mk I, which I use for lightning shots since I'm not too concerned if they get wet. So, the moon pops out for a few minutes, then comes a light drizzle causing all of the other togs to scatter. Then it ducks under a cloud.
So here is my shot, It got "Explored".
I wish I'd grabbed the 5D3 & 70-200 Mk II, as my friend had his D800E & 70-200.
But there goes the saying:

Beautiful, moody shot.

Thanks Dave NYC

kkelis

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
Canon 600D with 70-200mkII+2TC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »