October 01, 2014, 01:09:38 AM

Author Topic: Can you shoot raw&jpeg w/ 5d mk3 but tether w/ lightroom and only transfer jpg?  (Read 2238 times)

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
Basically I want to be able to shoot raw and jpeg while tethering in light room but only have jpeg files transfer so the photos can be loaded and seen faster on my computer.
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Use Canon Utilities, it will do that as well as let you see the image in live view, and then open the captured image in lightroom or just put the jpeg in the folder of your choice.

Lightroom only does 2% of what Canon Utilities will do in tethered mode, try it.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Use Canon Utilities, it will do that as well as let you see the image in live view, and then open the captured image in lightroom or just put the jpeg in the folder of your choice.

Lightroom only does 2% of what Canon Utilities will do in tethered mode, try it.

To expand on that...  If you really want them to end up in LR immediately, you can tether in EOS Util then have LR watch the directory.

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
Thanks for the replies guys!

I did some experimenting and I found out that there is a way to just transfer jpg but still keep the raw files on the cf card. On the menu where you pick which memory card you want to use as the "playback" you just pick the one where you will be recording jpg and that will only transfer the jpg when you tether with lightroom while you have the other card set to record raw.
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies guys!

I did some experimenting and I found out that there is a way to just transfer jpg but still keep the raw files on the cf card. On the menu where you pick which memory card you want to use as the "playback" you just pick the one where you will be recording jpg and that will only transfer the jpg when you tether with lightroom while you have the other card set to record raw.

But, why would anyone want to use Lightroom tethering after they have seen the difference between it and Canon Utilities or Breeze DSLR Remote.

Seeing the live image on your monitor and having access to change all the parameters, view depth of field, adjust exposure and focus, as opposed to blindly closing the shutter just to see if your image was any good.

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
I was shooting with strobes, live view wouldn't help at all. Plus the tether wasn't for me, it was for the client.

canon rumors FORUM