September 23, 2014, 06:43:38 PM

Author Topic: REVISED W/ CONTRACT INFO Is this a fair offer for an on location job?  (Read 6945 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I'm an amateur photographer and I think I'm looking to take that step to semi-professional photog.  There is a Civil War reenactment coming up and the opportunity to hangout on the "battle field" and snap a few action shots  has come up.  If they paid me in donuts and cocaine, I'd probably do it despite being on a diet and drug free since '83 (I just liked the rhyme... there isn't a story about what happened in 1983 when I was 6 years old).

Well, compensation is $100 for the day which would amount to maybe a 90 minute round trip drive for me and probably a 2 hour "battle".  Seriously how long could a reenactment last?  I presume I would give up all copyright over my photos and they would potentially be published as a calendar, postcards, or in a book.  I might get a credit in a book, but I would doubt I would keep any rights to the images.

So is that a fair offer?  Again... I'm going to do it... but I read an article a few years ago about not working for peanuts or free because that just hurts the entire industry.

I haven't been offered the gig yet or told the specific details about residuals, but I am also trying to be realistic and not being too naive.

Thanks for responding.  John Mulaney has a line about being naive.  You're gonna give me a whole $100 for all my songs Mr. Gordy?!?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:49:22 PM by jdramirez »
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a fair offer for an on location job?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:55 PM »
$100 for a day of work?  Not like that.  If it were two or so hours at a venue close at hand then maybe.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »
$100 for a day of work?  Not like that.  If it were two or so hours at a venue close at hand then maybe.

Jim

OK... then what would fair compensation for a job like that be including copyright?
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »
I look at it like this:

Money for gas for the drive
Money for a meal
Your time at the event
Your time on post-production
The rights to your work

What the last three are worth are flexible I suppose, but an hour and a half each way at 4 bucks a gallon is no small thing.

Jim

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »
I would say that you have to start somewhere. Never mind about the industry, the industry doesn't care about you. If you think it's a good way to get experience, then go for it. At leat it's a paid job and you get one under your belt. Next one to hire you won't know how much/little you got paid. But try to get to keep the photos at least.

thanks
J

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:01:47 AM »
At my previous job, they paid stringers 125 for about 1-2 hour event shoot.

I would do it to advance my skills and try something diffrent. Maybe you can build a relationship and get more referrals in the future. Also you can expose your equipment and self to a new expririence. Have fun and do something than the normal.

Good luck!

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »

I would do it to advance my skills and try something diffrent. Maybe you can build a relationship and get more referrals in the future. Also you can expose your equipment and self to a new expririence. Have fun and do something than the normal.

Good luck!

Right, so that for my time, gas money and a modest meal adds up to terms I'd consider at this point in my life.

Jim

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:51:19 AM »

Good luck!

Right, so that for my time, gas money and a modest meal adds up to terms I'd consider at this point in my life.

Jim

3 hours driving (90 minutes each way).  Call that 120 miles, 20 MPG, 6 gallons of gas @ $4/gallon = $25.
2 hours there, 1 hour wait time (getting set up, leaving), 2 hours post processing = 5 hours or $15/hour.  Barely above minimum wage.  If you post processing, send jpgs, agree upon starting and stoping time, then maybe.

Do you get photo credits?  That might be the draw to building a reputation.

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 01:00:41 AM »
Here is my 2 cents.

I agree that you need to start somewhere.

The $100.00 is really nothing, and will just cover expenses.  If this was a "meet up" would you do it for free just because it is interesting or because you could learn something?

Also, nothing like actually being paid to do something to really understand the responsibility.  You will learn a lot from the experience, and you may get leads.  This may be more valuable than the money.

I would keep the copyrights but allow them to use the pics with restrictions that you see fit- that is fair given the small remuneration. 

sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 02:00:03 AM »
Consider the $100 a scholarship towards the tuition you are paying in the school of real life.

At this school you will learn:
What clients want and how quickly they expect it.
How to shoot an event
How to deal with the "models"
What things cost
AND how long an event takes
AND how long post processing takes

This will not be learned from this one gig but from many over a period of time. At the end of your education you will be well informed as to what you need to charge, if you have clients that will pay that, and, most importantly, if you want to make your living doing it.

Best of luck.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 02:10:54 AM »

Good luck!

Jim

3 hours driving (90 minutes each way).  Call that 120 miles, 20 MPG, 6 gallons of gas @ $4/gallon = $25.
2 hours there, 1 hour wait time (getting set up, leaving), 2 hours post processing = 5 hours or $15/hour.  Barely above minimum wage.  If you post processing, send jpgs, agree upon starting and stoping time, then maybe.

Do you get photo credits?  That might be the draw to building a reputation.

Actually, it's 45 minutes one way:  90 minutes round trip.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

CanadianInvestor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
Keep the rights to your images, and, as for what you feel is a fair fee, ask them for a receipt in that amount if the organiser is a charitable outfit.  If your client is well endowed and they get money for their activities, you should bill them a decent amount as the Canon rumour-mongers here have stated.

Good luck and enjoy.  Only in my dreams will I have the good fortune to be in this quandary.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »
I presume I would give up all copyright over my photos and they would potentially be published as a calendar, postcards, or in a book.  I might get a credit in a book, but I would doubt I would keep any rights to the images.

Never, ever assume or presume when it comes to business. If they do not have a contract in place, make sure you outline exactly what you will provide them and if possible get them to sign or at the very least agree to what you have written.

Don't be afraid to put your foot down and ask for more money, or the right to a percentage of the picture sales (calendars, postcards etc.).

It may be worthwhile speaking to some of the guys taking part, sell them a package. People do buy pictures of themselves but you have to make it easy for them (automate it online etc).

Remember that you are providing a service.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:59 AM »
I wouldn't do it if I didn't keep the copyright of my work period.
It isn't worth even for practicing. I believe they are trying to take advantage of you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:59 AM »