October 30, 2014, 11:09:27 AM

Author Topic: How do you carry your tripod?  (Read 7267 times)

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
How do you carry your tripod?
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:26:22 AM »
My old tripod bag is getting a bit old and worn.  Plus, it has never been that comfortable to carry around.  So, I'm curious how other people carry tripods to see if there is a better way.

If you are travelling light on a short walk - say only an hour or two - what do you do?  Do you use a tripod bag?  Do you keep your camera attached to the tripod and dangle it over your shoulder for instant access?  Do you attach a strap directly to your tripod?  Any other ways?

I see Lowepro have some bags (the Flipside Sport 10L and 15L) which look fairly small but still seem to have a good tripod attachment points.  Has anyone used these?  Are there any other good small bag options?
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

How do you carry your tripod?
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:26:22 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: How do you carry your tripod?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:08:41 AM »
I store my RRS tripods and monopod in their very nice, custom-sized quiver bags.  I often use those for car transport, but not for walking around. I use the tripod attachment on my Lowepro Flipside 300 and 400 AW with my travel tripod (RRS TQC-14 w/ BH-30 LR), and that works great.  But, it wouldn't really work with my full-sized tripod (RRS TVC-33 w/ BH-55 LR or PG-02 LLR gimbal) - only one leg (vs. two) would fit in the pocket, and the tripod would stick up way too high.  I do attach the TVC-33 to the side attachment of the (much taller) Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW II, and that works well (bigger pocket, fits two thick legs).

I often carry the monopod (RRS MC-34 w/ MH-02 Pro) on a Lowepro belt, attached with a Maxpedition Universal Light/Baton Sheath.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
I don't like to carry a tripod in an extra tripod bag as extra gear has a tendency of just getting in my way, which I don't really appreciate, so I tend to put everything I carry into or onto one bag.

Curiously all my camera bags have some tripod holding contraption attached to them. I shouldn't act all that surprised about that as my tripod comes from the same Chinese manufacturer (Vanguard) also providing those camera bags. This vendor must have learned of cross-selling, somewhere along their corporate history.

So if I want to carry my tripod I just attach it to one of those bags. This has the advantage that I don't really feel that I also carry the tripod with me, although it is far from weightless, because the weight distribution with those camera bags is pretty efficient. For shorter distances the tripod comes with a carrying strap, which also works fine.

As long as bag size and type and tripod size do match up, you should be all set up. I believe the most important issue is that carrying your gear shouldn't get in your way.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:13:59 AM »
Initially I carry the and head in my hand or over my shoulder.   Camera is not attached. Once I start taking pictures I will leave the camera on the tripod and carry it over my shoulder. 

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
My Manfrotto 055XPROB attaches to the outside of mt Kata 205PL bag using some straps. Heavy but makes it more mobile and frees up the hands.
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

rwmson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Studios
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »
Tripod shoulder strap for me.
Rebel T1i | G12 | 5D Mk III | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF | Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
Over the shoulder with camera for me, legs extended, ready to shoot.  All three legs are padded.  Just make sure you lock down the camera before you hoist it up there.  Camera bag on my left, tripod on right sholder, I am kind of balanaced.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »
Initially I carry the and head in my hand or over my shoulder.   Camera is not attached. Once I start taking pictures I will leave the camera on the tripod and carry it over my shoulder.

+1
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

DJMillard

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
    • David Millard
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 03:30:45 AM »
I use the Thinktank Streetwalker backpack for most of my hiking which carries my 190XPROB just fine.
I carry my camera on a Cotton Carrier camera vest so it's always ready, but have the benefit of two hands free for the more rugged hikes/climbs.
The bag is small enough not to limit movement at all and with my camera on my chest, it's big enough to carry all I need for a day on the trail (lenses, filters, water etc).
The tripod straps on the bag are removable for when you don't need them or want them flapping around.
Some Canon cameras, lenses and other bits...

optikus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 05:19:43 AM »
Hi,

my small Manfrotto 055 attached to the bad, with a ball head in it, the large 161MkII, if necessary, in a special bag on my back. Not comfortable, but for long lenses the only present solution. And in all cases better as beeing on the location and the images are unusable due to vibration.

Joerg
EOS 1Ds, D60, 10D, 30D*, 400D, var. manual lenses, Zeiss and other german manufacturers and some EF/EFs ... *: 30D with extended IR-range for astrophotography

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:03 AM »
Over the shoulder with camera attached if location to location is just a short hop, otherwise I use the tripod attachment system on my Kata UL-222 Bumblebee backpack for longer treks.

Awesome bag that Kata by the way...
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
When I go out in the field, I like to carry a tripod, some towels (to lay on) and a folding stool.  That's a lot to carry.  My solution was to buy a used pull-type golf bag cart ($10),  secure a bucket to the bottom and I have an all terrain crap carrier. Everything folds up nicely for the trunk.

Sure makes those hikes to the photo site easier.  I even bolted on a water bottle holder from an old bicycle. 

It ain't elegant, but then neither am I.  :)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
When I go out in the field, I like to carry a tripod, some towels (to lay on) and a folding stool.  That's a lot to carry.  My solution was to buy a used pull-type golf bag cart ($10),  secure a bucket to the bottom and I have an all terrain crap carrier. Everything folds up nicely for the trunk.

Sure makes those hikes to the photo site easier.  I even bolted on a water bottle holder from an old bicycle. 

It ain't elegant, but then neither am I.  :)
Awesome!  I've been thinking about using a golf bag cart, too, but thought I was crazy for the idea.  I have bad shoulders and knees so I need something...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »

GammyKnee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »
I've never got on with dedicated tripod bags. They always seem to want to fall off my shoulder, or swing around annoyingly, and when I'm setting up a gust of wind usually makes off with them.

So for me, it's either carry the naked tripod in the hand (short walks) or across the top of my camera backpack. Right now I've got one of the Lowepro Flipsides (400AW) which has straps to anchor the tripod across the shoulders and this works great. I mostly use a compact Manfrotto these days, but I've even lugged my old apocalypse-proof original model Benbo (13kg with tripod head attached) up a mountain this way. Damn fine workout  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:51:43 PM by GammyKnee »

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
My oben tripod came with a nice shoulder bag.  Both usually reside under my bed at home. 

My gorillapod comes with me, though.  I double-looped a black hair elastic around the neck and clipped a lightweight carabiner to that.  I clip the carabiner to my little bag for the G1X, and can even clip it straight to my belt if necessary.  I still rarely use it.

News videographers in the city often carry their (big heavy) tripods on one of those folding document box dollies you can get in an office supply store.  Little wheels good for sidewalks and office building shoots.  Also room for your bag chair for setting up long-term on location.  Outside the city, some use the straps that hook directly to the tripod head and legs, but the weight doesn't really make that practical.
Canon 6d, t1i, 24-70/4L, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »