October 24, 2014, 07:15:37 AM

Author Topic: EOS 1-Bodies: Compatibility with AF-confirm adapters  (Read 1227 times)

optikus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
EOS 1-Bodies: Compatibility with AF-confirm adapters
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:20:18 AM »
Hello,

if habe an issue as follows:

For use with my vintage manual lenses I normally use adapters with dandelion or EMF AF-confirm chips. Some EOS-bodies have in the 22:00 clock-position a mechanical switch to indicate the presence of a lens. If this switch is engaged, the camera expects to find an electronic contact via the bayonett-connection, otherwise it reacts with an ERR-Message and stops working. I know this issue with EOS 1Ds and EOS D60. A small piece of paper applied to the switch solves the problem, the body works perfectly with the adapters and focus-indicators work. Until you mount an EF-Lens to the bodies, then the paper often falls out of the switch and if you do not recognize it, the next change of the lens to an adapted one lets you miss the af-signalling or receive an error from D60.

My solution: fix the switch with a small amount of cyaneacylate-glue, which is easy to remove with solvent in case this becomes nevessary. Works perfect with adapted lenses - but if you mount an EF-Lens, the glued switch is forced down mechanically, or the EF-Lens is not mountable due to a mechanical stop.

-> inspection with my eyes did not teach me what the problem is, moving the small switch did not show me some other moving parts in the bayonett. So what causes the mechanical stop in mounting an EF lens with the switch fixed in the upper position? Anyone here to be able to give me some advice how to handle the problem?

Kind regards

Joerg
EOS 1Ds, D60, 10D, 30D*, 400D, var. manual lenses, Zeiss and other german manufacturers and some EF/EFs ... *: 30D with extended IR-range for astrophotography

canon rumors FORUM

EOS 1-Bodies: Compatibility with AF-confirm adapters
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:20:18 AM »

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 1-Bodies: Compatibility with AF-confirm adapters
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »
Hello,

if habe an issue as follows:

For use with my vintage manual lenses I normally use adapters with dandelion or EMF AF-confirm chips. Some EOS-bodies have in the 22:00 clock-position a mechanical switch to indicate the presence of a lens. If this switch is engaged, the camera expects to find an electronic contact via the bayonett-connection, otherwise it reacts with an ERR-Message and stops working. I know this issue with EOS 1Ds and EOS D60. A small piece of paper applied to the switch solves the problem, the body works perfectly with the adapters and focus-indicators work. Until you mount an EF-Lens to the bodies, then the paper often falls out of the switch and if you do not recognize it, the next change of the lens to an adapted one lets you miss the af-signalling or receive an error from D60.

My solution: fix the switch with a small amount of cyaneacylate-glue, which is easy to remove with solvent in case this becomes nevessary. Works perfect with adapted lenses - but if you mount an EF-Lens, the glued switch is forced down mechanically, or the EF-Lens is not mountable due to a mechanical stop.

-> inspection with my eyes did not teach me what the problem is, moving the small switch did not show me some other moving parts in the bayonett. So what causes the mechanical stop in mounting an EF lens with the switch fixed in the upper position? Anyone here to be able to give me some advice how to handle the problem?

Kind regards

Joerg

All of my Contax to EOS adapters have the AF-confirm chipped added by me to them. To deal with that switch on my 1Ds3, 1D3 and my old 1DsII's, I took a Canon lens, determined the location of the screw that hits the switch and then drill/tapped and added a small screw to the adapter rings. If you can mark the rings, take it to a watchmaker/watch repair person, they'll usually do the drill/tap and adding of screw if you don't want to do it yourself.

DON'T try to glue a head there - I knew a guy who tried that when he saw my adapters. The piece unglued, fell into the camera body and shorted out the power board. Took me forever to disassemble his 1DIIn and get the piece out.

optikus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Hi,

thank you for your post - that's absolute correct - never glue a piece of anything onto an adapter, it may fall into the camera and short circuit it.

No - what I did is something different. I glued the switch-lever to the upper end of it's possible way and fixed it in the upper position.

And after doing that, my adapters worked peferctly well, identical to the behaviour, when applied a little pice of paper under the switch to push it up. BUT - it was no more possible to mount an EF-Lens - there must be a mechanical problem to do this - with a little bit more power you can mount a EF-Lens and turn it into its lock-position, but the lever of the switch is released from it's fixed position. Why? And what mechanism does it?

Joerg
EOS 1Ds, D60, 10D, 30D*, 400D, var. manual lenses, Zeiss and other german manufacturers and some EF/EFs ... *: 30D with extended IR-range for astrophotography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »