October 25, 2014, 11:07:19 PM

Author Topic: EOS M or EOS SL1 ??  (Read 4683 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
EOS M or EOS SL1 ??
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:42:34 PM »
Let me know if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any thread specifically comparing the EOS M and the EOS SL1. They appear to target the same basic market demographic and have very similar capabilities to produce images. As I think about purchasing the M, I can't get the SL1 out of my head. The M probably wins in ultimate compactness (pocketability?) but the SL1 is also quite small, especially with a 40mm pancake mounted. Same basic sensor, as I understand it, access to all Canon EF lenses (with adaptor for M), AF being improved with M firmware update so perhaps not much difference there. I'd like to get a sense of the opinions of folks on this forum. How do they stack up against one another for you? Which would you choose and why?

When I look at purchase, this is what I see:

EOS M:

$479 with 22mm f/2.0 lens (I can't find anyplace selling body only.)
$150 lens adaptor for Canon EF lenses

EOS SL1:

$650 body (very close to EOS M with 22mm lens and adaptor)

Flash is one uncertainty for me. I don't know if the EOS M works with speedlites other than the one made for it (90EX @ $150).

I know the EOS M has video capability, but no idea how it compares with SL1. Since I don't do video, that would have no influence on a purchase decision for me. Others may differ, I know.

Obviously, the optical viewfinder is a deal breaker for many buyers, especially ones on this forum I suspect. But from a heads up comparison, it comes down to that and perhaps a small difference in pocketability.

What say you?
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

EOS M or EOS SL1 ??
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:42:34 PM »

tgara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M or EOS SL1 ??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
There is much overlap in terms of specs between the M and SL1.  However, I chose the S1 because (1) I prefer an optical viewfinder and the dSLR form factor, and (2) all my other Canon gear works with the SL1 without any adapters.

BTW, according to the system chart, the M works with any Canon flash.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »
In my mind it was an obvious comparison to make. The SL1 is amazingly small, but still bulkier than the diminutive M. Canon could boost sales of the SL1 further by releasing a pancake around the 20mm mark (=32mm equiv) making it a very compelling, ultra compact DSLR option. The DSLR advantages don't need to be detailed here...it's all pretty obvious.

I've looked at both after being disappointed with a G15 which I kept for a couple of months (out of reality expectations...). If the M had a viewfinder I'd probably have one by now, but the SL1 will probably find its way into my bag sooner rather than later for use as a very light third body next to a 1D4 and a gripped 5D3.

-PW

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
With the firmware-improved AF, I'm considering the M as backup body - mainly for it's small size.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »
With the firmware-improved AF, I'm considering the M as backup body - mainly for it's small size.

Would this replace the S100 for you -- or in addition to?
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
M- with pancake lenses of course.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
Would this replace the S100 for you -- or in addition to?

In addition. The M is small, but not truly pocketable.  But the M + EF adapter would take up very little room in a bag.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »

Tyroop

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 11:06:10 PM »
According to the EOS M manual, "This camera is a Type-A camera that can use all the features of EX-series Speedlites."  I have only used the 90EX so far, but have plans to test the 550EX, 430EX II, and ST-E2.

A combination of optical viewfinder and rear touch screen exposure controls wouldn't work very well.  Lack of an optical viewfinder doesn't bother me particularly.  However, holding the camera away from your body with a long lens isn't ideal, and also the display can be difficult to see in bright sunlight.

For me, the decision was mainly about portability.  In its smallest configuration, with just the EF-M 22mm lens, I can still carry the EOS M in a pouch on my belt.  Other than that, I love the versatility of the system, being able to attach all my lenses.

AS PWP says, Canon needs to release a 20/22mm EF pancake.  The EF 40mm pancake is a bit long as a general walkaround lens on an APS-C camera.  Such a lens would be a good companion for the SL1.

I am not a video person, but video on the EOS M looks good and may encourage me to do more video.

The EOS M AF problems, even with firmware 1.0.6, have been wildly exaggerated.  V2.0.2 looks to be a good improvement.

My choice was the EOS M.  Only you can decide what will be best for your particular requirements.

http://phil.uk.net/photography/canon_EOS_M.html

tgara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »
A combination of optical viewfinder and rear touch screen exposure controls wouldn't work very well.

But that's what the SL1 has.   :-\

fotorex

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 07:44:15 AM »
I did the same comparison a few weeks ago.

I decided for the M.
I wanted to have a small pocketable camera to bring it evereywhere I want.
The SL1 would do this for me only in combination with a pancake lens. So I was afraid a SL1 wouldn´t be the wished everywhere cam.
I also didn´t want to have a third DSLR body as I´m already owning a 40D and a 5DII.

Frank

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
The viewfinder issue is I think one only you can answer although I'm guessing we'll probabley see a Canon mirrorless with EVF and the new 70D sensor latter this year or early next.

To me what makes the EOS-M tempting isn't the body or the EF adapter but the native EF-M lenses themselves. Granted we've only seen three released so far but in terms of quality and/or value they seem like there a step above all of their mirrorless rivals, arguably above most DSLR options aswell.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »