September 02, 2014, 10:15:33 PM

Author Topic: new lens advice  (Read 3203 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: new lens advice
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:33 AM »

Why the heck would you ever want to sell the 135L??

There was crazy good offer on the 70-200 IS II, and when I told my wife about that, she just stared at me. I think my and her definition of the "crazy" were different on that point. The deal was until midnight, my parents were over and we had few drinks over dinner, and few afterwards. I think it was somewhere after 6+ beers that I sneaked on my PC, took out my credit card and ordered the lens.

The next morning hangover, I had to confess the purchase. I think the options were to sleep on the couch with the 135L, or sell it and get back the bed-permit.

So I was happy and willing to sell my 135L.

"Crazy" stuff  ;D ;D ;D
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:33 AM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:17 AM »
@OP - I'd get the 24-105L, used. Now that they only add $500 to the 6D price as a kit, they're selling for a good value on the used market.

@CarlTN - I'm in Boston, and I'm in the black on CL buy/sell.  I paid $450 for a 200/2.8 II, $750 for a 300/4 IS, $500 for an MP-E 65 (sold the first two for a decent profit, kept the third)  I bought and sold for the same amount both a 70-300 DO and a 24-105L.  I bought a 10-22 new from Amazon, sold it after about a year for a $50 loss - if I was selling it today, I'd make a profit.  It helps that I never have an urgent need to sell, and I have cash on hand if a deal pops up.

Well good for you, you bought those used I assume?  ($450 for a 200 f/2.8, etc.)

Well, I've tried my local craigslist, as well as Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville.  I was able to sell my Rebel Xsi on my local CR back in 2009 for about a $100 loss off the new price.  I haven't sold anything else camera-related since, other than a very cheap flashgun that I got for free.  The rest of my cameras and lenses have since sold on amazon marketplace, fairly quickly. 

I finally sold my telescope off the Nashville craigslist, after trying for about 3 years.  I paid about $460 for it new in 2004, sold it for $275.

Some items move better and some don't, but neuro had the keyword there. Don't sell in rush, and when buying have the money ready to jump if there's good deal. If you can wait, there's always someone who needs your lens today, or someone who needs your money today. That's when you can make good deals.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 03:59:01 AM »
What city are you in?  Why on earth would anyone buy something used at a higher price than new?  I kind of doubt your claim...unless of course the price you paid new, was some kind of inside deal that was lower than the average street price.

Seattle area. I always scout for good deals, and I landed really nice one on the Tokina, few years of shooting and sold it for more. During the time they had come out with the Mark II, which increased the street price slightly, so that also helped me. Same with the 135L, I waited some time until found good deal for used, then sold it after couple years. Most of the time I don't have rush to sell stuff, so I can keep the asking price firm. Good lenses keep their value.

There was crazy good offer on the 70-200 IS II, and when I told my wife about that, she just stared at me. I think my and her definition of the "crazy" were different on that point. The deal was until midnight, my parents were over and we had few drinks over dinner, and few afterwards. I think it was somewhere after 6+ beers that I sneaked on my PC, took out my credit card and ordered the lens.

The next morning hangover, I had to confess the purchase. I think the options were to sleep on the couch with the 135L, or sell it and get back the bed-permit.

Hazards of online shops. I love this story, the best about it is that you actually admit to it  ;D

Checked your FB, nice shots.
J

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:48 AM »
As others have pointed out, the 24-105L is a terrific value and fits nicely in your price range. Its image quality is good and its very solidly built.  It has a nice zoom range that will work for most walk around photography and on the 6D its usable in low light situations by using higher ISO settings.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:59 AM »

What city are you in?  Why on earth would anyone buy something used at a higher price than new?  I kind of doubt your claim...unless of course the price you paid new, was some kind of inside deal that was lower than the average street price.

I'm slightly above break even on buying and selling used lenses and camera bodies.  I've also sold two kit lenses for a nice "profit" over incremental price paid for a kit.  I sold on eBay until their fees got too high, now use Craigs List almost exclusively.  We live in a small town, but only an hour or two from several large midwestern US cities.  As Neuro pointed out, the key is not being in a hurry to sell and waiting until you get your price.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »

Seattle area. I always scout for good deals, and I landed really nice one on the Tokina, few years of shooting and sold it for more. During the time they had come out with the Mark II, which increased the street price slightly, so that also helped me. Same with the 135L, I waited some time until found good deal for used, then sold it after couple years. Most of the time I don't have rush to sell stuff, so I can keep the asking price firm. Good lenses keep their value.

Hazards of online shops. I love this story, the best about it is that you actually admit to it  ;D

J

I suppose I can understand that.  I am not burdened with having to answer to a better half.  I'm just burdened with ruining my life all on my own right now...it's a shame I'm not getting paid to do that...hahaha.

I think I responded to the wrong post...sorry...hopefully ya'll will figure it out.  My eyes are going crossed looking at this forum, haha.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:48:08 PM by CarlTN »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 01:58:17 PM »

I'm slightly above break even on buying and selling used lenses and camera bodies.  I've also sold two kit lenses for a nice "profit" over incremental price paid for a kit.  I sold on eBay until their fees got too high, now use Craigs List almost exclusively.  We live in a small town, but only an hour or two from several large midwestern US cities.  As Neuro pointed out, the key is not being in a hurry to sell and waiting until you get your price.

Well, I wasn't in a hurry for selling the telescope, obviously...it took 3 years and I still had to let it go under the price I wanted.  Obviously it was not in demand, etc.  I should have just paid the $15 and put it on astromart, I guess.

I don't have the time or desire to spend to try to buy low and sell high, on used camera items, lenses, etc.  I would rather flush all my money down the stock market toilet...it takes less time, and is more fun if I ever do make a profit.

Anyway, these are some fine Fujinon 12x60 HB roof prism binoculars I'm trying to sell, originally retailed for ~$800.  They're made in Japan.  I got them new from Eagle Optics for $299 a year ago, and am willing to take a slight loss on that.  If you know anyone who likes binoculars, please send them my way.

Basically I went nuts in 2012, and spent too much on 3 pairs of binoculars (didn't buy any camera stuff that year).  These are the pair I use the least often, but they work fantastically...have a nice wide apparent FOV, excellent in low light...a bit heavy but easily hand-holdable for a while...very steady view, good balance...come with carrying case and solid cast aluminum tripod mount, which I've used on a monopod lately.  Handholding, I can easily follow nearby ducks in flight as they passed low overhead, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 01:58:17 PM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »

My father taught me to never do something I'm too ashamed to admit. Given things I've done, I guess I have no shame  :-\

J

Thanks. I'm still quite newbie with photos, especially on post processing. But the local girls are so good with posing that it's easy for me to just keep shooting and get good pictures.

yablonsky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
get the 17-40 for landscapes. The wide angle is crazy on FF. Very nice.
5D2, 17-40 4L, 24-70 2.8L II, 70-200 4L IS,  300 4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »