August 29, 2014, 04:09:20 PM

Author Topic: Extremely disappointed >:(  (Read 705 times)

VitorMachado

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Extremely disappointed >:(
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
I recently bought a B+W 77mm CPL for around $120. I then needed a couple step up rings for all my lenses. Since almost all step up/down rings have horrible ratings, I went and purchased a set I thought had O-K reviews (Sensei). Upon using my 77mm CPL + 58mm step-up ring on my 50 1.4, it got stuck. I didn't even screw it on really tight because I was aware of these issues. I literally looked up ALL methods of removing these filters from rings and nothing worked. I even bought wrenches. Nothing. Since the ring isn't expensive whatsoever, I decided to cut it. After cutting the ring, the CPL barely even spins, and the inside of it's threads are horribly damaged from the cutting. Literally trashed $120 in under 5 minutes. Does anyone have some kind of method that works EVERY time? Seems like there is no such thing as good rings and/or a 100% accurate method for removing them. Couldn't have asked for a better way to start my week.
6D | 60D | 24 f/1.4L II | 50 f/1.2L | 40 f/2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitormachadophotography/

canon rumors FORUM

Extremely disappointed >:(
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Extremely disappointed >:(
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
I have used the B&W step-up rings without any problems. I decided to buy them over another brand because I found that the B&W filters had better filter rings/threads as the no-name filter I had before, and I hoped the same would be true for their step-up rings. So far I haven't regretted my choice, the few dollars extra per ring seem very well worth it.

Edit: grammar :-)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:28:10 PM by ahab1372 »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »
I have used the B&W step-up rings without any problems. I decided to buy them over another brand because I found that the threads of the B&W filters had better filter rings/threads as the no-name filter I had before, and I hoped the same would be true for their step-up rings. So far I haven't regretted my choice, the few dollars extra per ring seem very well worth it.

+1

I have B+W step-up rings in 67→77mm, 72→77mm, and 77→82mm.  I've used them many times, recently in pairs (to get an 82mm filter on a 67mm or 72mm lens thread), and never had them bind up.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »