August 22, 2014, 10:41:07 AM

Author Topic: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?  (Read 29279 times)

Faxon

What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »
Having gone back and forth between options, I am thinking a 6D is my most practical choice. ($$$). Of course, I would rather have a 5D Mk III.  But that being said, what do you 6D owners find you don't like about the 6D? I really want a full frame and an upgrade to better low light...... Focus points.... well, I guess I can be OK with the few that I would get..... But day to day, in hand, what don't you like about the camera? And what do you like better than your previous camera? Is the joystick too far away for easy point selections? Etc..Currently shooting a 20D and a 40D. Want to put my 17-40 and my 100 to work for me on a full frame body.

canon rumors FORUM

What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

hsbn

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
On the EOS 6D right now, there is no fast/easy way to change/set the White Balance. Even my old 30D camera has a WB button where you press it, then rotate the main dial to change the WB presets.

On the 6D right now, you can customize the SET button to change IMAGE QUALITY, PICTURE STYLE, MENU, ISO (hold the set button and rotate the main dial), FLASH COMPENSATION.

I wish Canon could include White Balance as one of the options. There are already a button for ISO and MENU, yet they're included in the option. I bet everyone who is using the 6D miss the WB button. That's the first one I notice when using the 6D.

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
I owned it for 4 days and returned it.  This might be an unfair comparison because I already own a 5d mk3.  The worst thing for me was that it felt a little slower to focus (with the same lenses in daylight) compared to my mk3.

the other gripes I had were MINOR. I could have lived with these issues, especially if it was my only body or if I had two 6Ds.  :

1) a bit more plastic feeling
2) button layout was different compared to mk3
3) SD cards are a tad bit slower than CF, also no dual card slot

Honestly, I don't think I would've felt the difference in AF speed if I wasn't a mk3 user.  I hear there is a little bit of a problem with moire when doing video butI didn't bother testing it. 

I'm actually considering a T4i/T5i as a 2nd camera angle for the Auto AF during video but I'm torn because I want that feature in a FF body with a vari-angle LCD, same LP-E6 battery, and Kelvin temp WB.  maybe the 70D, 7d mk2, or 6d mk2 will bring me some/all of these features!

5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
 my biggest beef with it is that the peripheral  auto focus points weren't cross type.   and the price...  it was typo high for me at the time. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
Perhaps the biggest thing for me is somewhat mediocre AI Servo ability, even when compared to my old 60D. I would not recommend this camera for any type of action/sports shooting especially if it involves an unpredictable target. It's perfectly fine if you've a robust primary camera and have the 6D as backup or second body, but it's something to be aware of if the 6D is your ONLY camera.

Everything else is quite solid though. You get 97% of the 5D3 image quality in a smaller, lighter, cheaper package. (The other 3% accounts for the 2 extra MP in the 5D3, which makes little difference to me in practice). In terms of IQ and high ISO performance, it leaves the 60D in the dust. No comparison.

I bought the camera being aware of the above limitations, and if you can work around them it is a solid camera.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:07:23 PM by Act444 »

smoon65

• SX50 HS
  • Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
I have had the 6D for about 3 months now and I love it. I upgraded from a 20D which I was happy with, but, was starting to have some issues due to age/overuse. 

The only thing I really don't like about the 6D is the vertical grip.  It is huge and much more squared off compared to the 20D.  I have medium-sized hands and the grip is nearly too big to comfortably handle. When I add a tripod quick-release or the base plate for my flash bracket it really is hard to hold.  My 20D vertical grip had almost the same contour as the camera's grip but the 6D is much larger.

Also, the photos are amazing but I have noticed moire in several videos I shot.  Of course, video is something that was a bonus for me and is not something I expect to use very often.

I hope this helps.

Robboesan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
This guys has some good points regarding this topic!
My Problems with the CANON 6D Small | Large

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »

madspihl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Northbound
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
I actually love this camera in every aspect apart from its weak outer focus points. They are simply not precise enough, even in really good light, and I find myself doing the old 5D Mark II focus and recompose dance, which - unfortunately - makes it super hard (for me at least) to shoot lenses at f/2 and brighter and frame the focal point off center.

But I have the 5D III as well - and that more than makes up for what the 6D lacks. Together they are a great couple.
2 x 5DIII and various Canon and Sigma lenses + a small Fuji X lineup of stuff.

http://500px.com/northbound

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
I upgraded to the 6D from the 5D Mark II late last year. Here are my thoughts on the weaknesses of this fantastic camera:

Autofocus: I have absolutely no problem with the number or spread of AF points on the 6D. My issue is with the fact that the outer points are not cross-type or -3EV sensitive like the center point is. This means that in poor light, the outer points are unreliable. I shoot in poor light about 50% of the time, so that means half of my shooting is done with the center point only. For the times when the light is good I rely on the outer points with great success.

Not Strobe Friendly: The maximum shutter speed is 1/4000s and the flash sync speed is 1/180s. This is a downgrade from the 5D Mark II (1/8000s and 1/200s). For outdoor portraits in harsh sunlight, I like to cut down on the ambient light and replace it with flash. Having an x-sync of 1/180 makes that even harder than it already is and same for the 1/4000 when using high speed sync. Additionally, the 6D lacks a PC sync port, meaning the only way to trigger off camera flash is via the hotshoe. Good luck trying to use studio strobes and on-camera TTL at the same time.

Only One Card Slot: I shoot weddings and on-location portraits. Losing a client's images because of an SD card failure is my worst nightmare. So far no problems, but I would feel much better being able to write to two cards at once. The Nikon D600 has this feature so there's no excuse for Canon to exclude it from their equivalent camera.

Other than those things, there's really not much to hate about this camera. It is absolutely fantastic and the image quality will blow you away at any ISO.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:40:00 PM by Wildfire »

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »
I love this camera. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of wireless flash control. It was the only reason I used the pop up on my 7D
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

SambalOelek

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
In descending order
  • Mediocre AF system. I would've been happy with 19 crosses (7D-like) or even 11 cross-type points
  • Lack of joystick for quick direct selection of AF points
  • Comparatively small viewfinder lacking 100% coverage
  • I prefer CF to SD
  • No WB button

Apart from that, the camera is alright. IQ is about as good as it gets (for Canon).
1D X, 1D IV, 5D III, 6D, 7D, M. Assorted lenses.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
Surprised no one has asked what the intended use was for.   

I snagged a 6d a few weeks ago and so far so good.  For me, it's a backup to a 5d3, so as a backup body the things that are lacking in it aren't of much worry to me.  I shoot weddings and portraits and use it with confidence.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

jd7

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »
I have a been a 7D shooter and before that I used a 40D.  A few weeks ago I put my money down on a 6D after getting sick of reading all the comments about what a step up in IQ it is from APS-C to 35mm sensor :)  My plan is to sell one of the 7D or 6D (I don't think I can justify having 2 DSLR bodies!) but I haven't decided which yet.  Unfortunately I've been very busy in the last few weeks so haven't had a chance to do much 6D testing yet but hear are some initial reactions.  Will see if my views change once I get a chance to play with the 6D more.

Things I don't like about the 6D:

- lack of joystick for selecting AF points.  On the 7D/40D, it was easy and comfortable to select the AF point with my eye to the VF and my right hand firmly on the camera and ready to take a photo.  With the 6D I have to relax the grip on the camera with my right hand so I can move my thumb down to the D-pad to select an AF point, then move my thumb back up to the AF-ON button to AF (I prefer back button focus to using a half press of the shutter button).  It's slow and uncomfortable and more likely to lead to the camera being dropped - and it's hard to be confident you're getting your thumb in the right place when you're eye is to the VF although perhaps with practice that will cease to be an issue.  My initial reaction is this is one of my greatest complaints about the 6D.

- so far the AF system feels a real step down from the 7D in relation to (a) tracking moving targets, (b) limited number of AF points means focusing on an off-centre subject when shooting with very shallow DOF is a problem, (c) speed/accuracy of the AF points other than the centre point (although I'm very impressed with the centre point!).  I really don't feel like I've investigated the 6D's AF enough yet and tested it in real world shooting to be sure of my opinions about it though.   I do see others saying the 6D AF really isn't that bad in the real world once you get to know it and set it up properly.

- lower maximum FPS: I do sometimes shoot sports/action, and occasionally have a go at BIF, and I know there would be times when the step down from 8 FPS to 4.5 FPS would bug me.  However I don't do that sort of shooting very often really so I'll need to decide how big a deal this is for me in practice.  It may depend in part on what I decide about the AF - the real question may be about how many "keepers" (in terms of focus) I can expect when shooting a moving target.

- fewer functions available via the buttons on the top of the camera (because it's one function per button rather than 2 as it is on 7D/40D).  I'd prefer to have FEC and WB available that way, but not sure how much this is really going to bother me.

- button layout on the back of the camera - I preferred having a column of buttons on the left side of the rear screen because it means easy two handed operation of the system of buttons plus direct access to a few more functions.  Again, not sure how much this is really going to bother me.

- lack of built in flash.  Yes I know how much better an external flash (and better yet, off camera flash) is, but sometimes when travelling around I like to have a built in flash for a bit of fill flash - it can be a lot better than nothing.

- lack of wireless flash trigger.  Of course you can add one, but it's more money to spend and another gadget to carry.  If I keep the 6D, I dare say I'll spring for some Yongnuo 622C transceivers and see how they go.  The Canon RT flash gear sounds great but it's more money than I want to spend right now.

- lower X-sync speed - although again I'm not sure how much this is really going to bother me in practice.  (There's also the issue of shutter speed limit being 1/4000 instead of 1/8000 but to be honest I doubt that's going to bother me at all.)

Things I do like about the 6D

- little bit smaller and lighter - I like the feel of it, especially with a small-ish / light-ish prime lens on it ... 6D + 40 2.8 does make a pretty compact little package.  That said, I do want to test more with bigger/lenses to see what the balance is like.  Haven't yet put my 70-200 2.8 IS on it, but I will!

- assuming it gets focus (via AF or manual) it does produce very nice images.  That said, I have to say I was a little underwhelmed at first - I didn't see the big jump up in IQ I was expecting, even at ISO 6400.  Putting RAW images through LR4, I have to say I feel like I may not have given my 7D as much credit as it deserved for its IQ at higher ISOs.  Don't get me wrong, the 6D is definitely a step up - and of course it goes to (usable) ISOs which the 7D simply doesn't have - but I've been surprised at what I could do with the 7D images with a bit of PP.  I dare say a professional may be harsher on the 7D images than I am.  Anyway, I want to do a lot more testing in varying lighting conditions before I come to any real conclusions.  I have recently taken a few photos  of people in more subtle lighting conditions and feel like there really was a very noticeable jump in IQ.  They weren't very "scientific" tests so I will do more, but it makes me think I might come around to the IQ being a substantial step up.

- ability to get shallower DOF ... although again, so far I haven't found this as noticeable as I thought I might.  More testing required though!

- for some reason I'm liking using lenses at their 35mm FOV - not sure if that is just psychological though!  On my 7D I often use a Canon 28 1.8 as a small/light walk around lens and it's fine, but I'm enjoying using my Sigma 50 1.4 and Canon 40 2.8 in that role with the 6D.  Will see if it's just a novelty which wears off.  (By the way, to anyone with an APS-C sensor camera, I'd say definitely consider adding a 28 1.8 to your kit if you don't have one. It's not perfect but I think it gives pretty good results for a small, light, fairly cheap lens.  Anyway, that's a whole other topic.)

As for the bells and whistles - GPS and wifi - I haven't played with them yet.  Can't say I feel excited by either, personally, and I really doubt I'll make use of the GPS given it drains battery.  Will give the wifi function a go one of these days, no doubt.  My overwhelming feeling is I'd prefer Canon had included a flash and/or remote flash trigger than GPS and wifi, but no doubt not everyone will feel the same about that.

So, at the moment I'd say the 7D is the more "complete" all round camera but for me the question remains whether the 6D offers IQ benefits (and slight weight/size benefits - I use my camera a lot when travelling) which outweigh its "real world" limitations for my use.  My biggest concerns about the 6D are the lack of joystick and the AF.  Btw, for my use = "general purpose" camera for portraits (candid more often than posed/studio style), street, landscape, family events and some sports/action.  Might try macro one of these days.

Will see how I feel after a few more weeks of playing with the 6D!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:01:30 AM by jd7 »
6D | 24-70 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 35 2 IS | 40 2.8 | 85 1.8 | 1.4x mk II | 430EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I use autofocus likely less than 1% of the time I use the camera, so can't say much about that.  What I do use a lot and have used a lot is live view 10x manual focusing.  I want tack sharp and well the eyes ain't going to cut it.  It can be such a tiny ass move on some of these lenses where it is soft or sharp.  I swap out lenses back and forth frequently and it's often night stuff too.  The way they decided to run the live view zoom in, as well as picture review zoom in, has driven me completely nuts being so used to how it really always has been on others.  Live view zoom in you push the live view then hit the magnify button twice, no more plus minus buttons upper right back.  And then on stills to zoom into those after the fact, hit play then magnify button but now you must spin the wheel to zoom in.  Pretty tough to get used to with them being different methods from each other and both different than how it has been.  Will eventually get used to it but so far I waste a lot of time with it. 

It being an utter high ISO beast besting the 5D III makes it worth the hassle to get used to though. 

Maso

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
Bought a 6D to upgrade my 7D but decided to keep the 7D.

What to NOT like... The AF is not as good as the 7D but if you use the camera for what it's designed (Portraits, Landscapes, not sports), then the AF is really fine.

My main gripe is a little thing they should sort out with Firmware - some functions (HDR and something else) can't be used when wi-fi is switched on, so if you try to select them you either can't, or it gives you message telling you. I think a much better implementation would be to switch wi-fi off automatically when you select the  functions or give you a prompt to switch off so you don't have to go right back through the menus to do it.

Also, the GPS stays on when the camera is switched off which significantly drains the battery. Better, I think, would be for the camera to use its built in accelerometer to switch on the camera or the GPS allowing it to switch off when not in motion. Basically, if you forget to force off the GPS through the menus, then the battery will drain in a few days.

Lack of wireless flash is a bit of a loss when I'm used to it on my 7D, but if you have two or more speedlights, then this isn't a problem.

And why oh why do they insist on restricting long exposure to 30 seconds, especially when there's an iPhone app to control the camera? And why no built in intervalometer: not in the iPhone app either" But this is the same with all Canons.

And I do miss the joystick from the 7D. A bit.

Everything else is great and I love the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »