October 25, 2014, 08:47:23 AM

Author Topic: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?  (Read 31658 times)

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
Re: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
The thing I dislike the most is the people who bought this camera and do nothing but whine about it. I am pretty sure nobody put a gun to their heads to force them to buy it.

The specs for the camera were widely known, why would you buy a camera and then moan about the the focus points, i upgraded from a 7D and was fully aware that the 6D had fewer focussing points and only ONE cross type..... needless to say that is not why I bought the camera. i wanted full frame and I got full frame, I also wanted wifi and gps which I got.

Just get on with it!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »

Malte_P

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »
The thing I dislike the most is the people who bought this camera and do nothing but whine about it. I am pretty sure nobody put a gun to their heads to force them to buy it.

The specs for the camera were widely known, why would you buy a camera and then moan about the the focus points, i upgraded from a 7D and was fully aware that the 6D had fewer focussing points and only ONE cross type..... needless to say that is not why I bought the camera. i wanted full frame and I got full frame, I also wanted wifi and gps which I got.

Just get on with it!!

well IF they bought it...

most complains are from people who have never touched it or pretend they have used it... but never have.

all 6D owners i know are very happy with it.

but then, they are not people who are visiting internet forums to talk about cameras and boast about their gear in sweeping signatures.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:27:38 AM by Malte_P »

Malte_P

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »
  • less sharp than 5d2 @low iso
depends on the reviews you read.

some say 2-3% less, some say 2-3% more spatial resolution.

but yes it´s a big deal....  ::)

Ladislav

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
It is all about expectations. For 5D users the 6D will be downgrade in many aspects because it was never designed to compete with 5D product line. If you own 5D2 the supposed upgrade is 5D3. For xxD and xxxD / Rebel users the 6D is a great upgrade (I'm among them). It also wasn't designed to compete with 7D product line in terms of AF.

Before I bought 6D I took its marketing materials from Canon and they were all about "travelers camera". My impression is that it is not camera designed for taking video or shoting sport/wildlife - you can still do that but there are better cameras for that. That should explain why its video capability and AF system are mediocore (even I would enjoy at least 9 cross AF points from T4i).

I like my 6D a lot. It was great upgrade from T4i (650D). What I didn't like was a price. I found it quite expensive for enthusiast camera but bought it anyway. My biggest complain goes to DOF preview button which is too small and it is placed on completely idiotic position. Also custom setting doesn't allow me reconfigure buttons to have DOF preview elsewhere.
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 70-300 L IS | 430 EX II | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 + MH054M0-Q2

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »
I have very few disappointments with the 6D.  I bought it with my eyes open.  Sure, I would like the AF to be more robust, but it works fine for me and that isn't going to change.  What can change and should change is the firmware around the GPS.  Right now for me it means manually turning it on and off...or leaving it on to put a continual drain on the battery.  Make a firmware change that allows for more options, specifically to either turn on or off with the camera, or, even better, to shut down at various optional times after the camera is powered down (5-10 minutes, for example).
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

jd7

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
Regarding the control layout, at first I didn't particularly like the 6D controls and missed the joystick from my 7D, but after some use, I came to prefer the 6D layout to the 7D.

These sorts of quotes give me hope I'll come around to the 6D's controls yet. Right now I find it hard to imagine ever liking it as much as the joystick and wheel system found on the 7D, but will see how I go in time.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:19:36 AM by jd7 »
6D | 24-70 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 35 2 IS | 40 2.8 | 85 1.8 | 1.4x mk II | 430EX II

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
A friend of mine has the 6D. The battery drains overnight even with the power off. He sent it to Canon and they upgraded the firmware and then said that they could not reproduce the problem.

It worked properly for a couple of weeks, but now it's doing it again. He can't leave the battery in the camera without it draining in a day or two, even with the power switch shut off.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

PS... too late to return it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »

Malte_P

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
. My biggest complain goes to DOF preview button which is too small and it is placed on completely idiotic position. Also custom setting doesn't allow me reconfigure buttons to have DOF preview elsewhere.

to be honest for me the DOF preview is the most useless feature on my cameras.

imho the viewfinder does not show a real impression of the DOF anyway.. yes even with the DOF button pressed.

i first noticed this with a 50mm f1.8.
wide open at f1.8 the images looked way more out of focus then they did via the viewfinder.

and when i press the DOF button i can hardly get something usefull from it either.
that´s why i use the display for reviewing the DOF.

but i must say i don´t shoot sports. maybe it´s more usefull there.
when you need quick reaction more then proper planing.

Malte_P

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »
A friend of mine has the 6D. The battery drains overnight even with the power off. He sent it to Canon and they upgraded the firmware and then said that they could not reproduce the problem.

It worked properly for a couple of weeks, but now it's doing it again. He can't leave the battery in the camera without it draining in a day or two, even with the power switch shut off.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

PS... too late to return it.

GPS on?

otherwise no.. never heard of that problem.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »

imho the viewfinder does not show a real impression of the DOF anyway.. yes even with the DOF button pressed.

wide open at f1.8 the images looked way more out of focus then they did via the viewfinder.

The DoF Preview button does nothing when shooting wide open - focusing and looking through the VF is done with the lens wide open, the DoF preview is intended to show you the DoF when the lens is stopped down to something narrower than wide open.

But you're right about the fast prime - the focus screen that comes in all current cameras is a compromise screen designed for slower lenses.  They're laser microetched to brighten the VF, and the consequence is that you see the DoF of approximately f/2.8 even with a faster lens.  For some cameras, the stock focus screen can be easily swapped out for one that shows the true DoF of a fast prime (Ec-S, Eg-S, etc.), and that makes manually focusing with such a lens much easier.  The tradeoff is that if you use one of those screens with an f/4 or f/5.6 lens, the VF is pretty dark.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Malte_P

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »

The DoF Preview button does nothing when shooting wide open - focusing and looking through the VF is done with the lens wide open, the DoF preview is intended to show you the DoF when the lens is stopped down to something narrower than wide open.

if you read more carefully you will notice i know that.  ;)

i said i FIRST noticed that the viewfinder does not show the correct DOF when i shoot wide open. 

shoot wide open -> focusing apperture = shooting apperture.

the image i see in the viewfinder looks not as much out of focus as the image shoot at f1.8.

i don´t care much why (perception i guess)  but it makes the VF pretty useless for me to judge DOF.

when stopped down the difference between the DOF i see in the viewfinder (with pressed DOF button) and the image DOF i see on the monitor is not that big anymore.
but i still prefer the display for making sure my DOF is how i like it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:06:18 AM by Malte_P »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
if you read more carefully you will notice i know that.

i said i FIRST noticed that the viewfinder does not show the correct DOF when i shoot wide open. 

Yes, I read carefully.  You stated, "the viewfinder does not show a real impression of the DOF anyway.. yes even with the DOF button pressed....i first noticed this with a 50mm f1.8...wide open at f1.8." That statement suggests you think the DOF Preview button should do something with the aperture set to wide open, and I pointed out that the DoF Preview button has no effect with the aperture set wide open.

Apologies for explaining the reason behind something which you apparently know (even if that understanding is somewhat incomplete)...but I suspect that not everyone knows that the stock focus screen shows the DoF of ~f/2.8 even with a faster lens.  Even though you don't care why, someone else reading this might, especially since there is a simple and cheap solution to the problem you describe, even if you don't care to implement it - the 6D is one of those cameras where the stock focus screen can be user-swapped for the Eg-S screen that does show the true DoF of a fast prime like your 50/1.8.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PKinDenmark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
I decided in April for the 6D - to replace my old and trusted 450D - after serious considerations.
I expected big improvements, and I must say, that I am absolutely happy with that decision.
My pictures have so much more intensity and quality with 6D.

I like almost all about the camera. This includes all the improvements that come with FF, with newer technology, high ISO capability etc. etc.
I also like the size and weight (compared to the FF alternatives).
I like the build and the handling very much.
I like the responsiveness - and am delighted with the low-noise shooting.
I find the WiFi very useful - for remote shooting and for reviewing pictures.

The AF capabilities represent an significant upgrade for me, and I knew what not to expect. So I will not complain about it (though you could always dream that it had 1DX-like AF).
To me the AFMA was a great improvement. I have made (small) adjustments for all my lenses - some of these absolutely makes a difference.

What I miss (although I knew about it, so it was deliberately included in my decision):
 - flexible screen - I loved that on my old G5, and still miss it
 - built in flash-trigger
 - the added 1.6* reach of crop (that is more than compensated by quality and resolution in my files)

I hope to see Canon improve the Firmware to allow:
 - practical use of GPS without draining battery
 - allow AF at F/8 (would love to use 2* TC with my 70-200 f/4)
Keen amateur. Current kit: Canon 6D since April 2013. 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 IS, 50mm f/1.4, 100 macro f/2.8 L IS, 1.4x II TC, 16-35 f/2.8 (I), Tamron 150-600mm. Canon 420 EX flash.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »
I was disappointed when I learned that the RF wireless system on the 6D can't be used to control OCF units.  But despite that, I will still buy one.  Sounds like a good camera. It is not the best camera that Canon makes, but I don't think anyone is claiming that it is.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »

Just get on with it!!

+1 !!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »