August 30, 2014, 12:26:10 PM

Author Topic: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?  (Read 29462 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
The fact that the 'set' button cannot be used to jump to centre AF point - aka pressing the 'joystick' in on the 5D.

To me this seems like an error in programming. The eight way controller works quite well once you are used to it. An unexpected benefit is that when using a vertical grip without the joystick ( 5D mk1 and 2) you can still move focus point .

It is just so logical to press 'set' to centre the AF point, and so illogical that it doesn't happen.

I am tempted to also add the polymer top plate, but to be honest you just cannot tell the difference from the 5D. Those who call the 6D 'plasticy' have got an over active imagination.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »
The 6D is a good camera at a good price, but it does not stand-up against the 5DIII. Nor should we expect it to, given that it is roughly half the price.

BTW ... I wish my 5DIII performed like a 1Dx (or a 1Dc) in some respects, but I don't expect it to, and I'm not willing to pay double (or quadruple) the price for that performance.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:08:41 PM by Etienne »

Ladislav

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
A friend of mine has the 6D. The battery drains overnight even with the power off. He sent it to Canon and they upgraded the firmware and then said that they could not reproduce the problem.

It worked properly for a couple of weeks, but now it's doing it again. He can't leave the battery in the camera without it draining in a day or two, even with the power switch shut off.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

PS... too late to return it.

GPS on?

otherwise no.. never heard of that problem.

GPS and wireless is off. Even the main power switch is off, so it shouldn't matter what the GPS and wireless are doing.

Which lens do you have attached?  I've had my 6D since December and only saw this problem twice, recently after purchasing a Tamron 24-70 2.8 (power was switched off).  Both times I had the Tamron lens attached and found the battery completely drained in the morning.  I have never seen this with any other lens attached (Canon 24-105, 70  - 200)

Thanks for the tip! 
He does use the Tamron 24-70 2.8 IS. I asked him to try different lenses, as well as leaving it with no lens attached. He is away for another week or so, but I'll pass on your experience. The lens may well be the problem!

That's it. Tamron lenses released prior to newer Canon cameras (new Rebels and 6D) can cause this issue. If that lens is still in warranty your friend should ask for replacement. Tell him to insist on replacement. I made a mistake and didn't do it. Instead of replacement the service centre replaced just VC and reprogrammed the lens - it solved the issue with battery but made the lens worse. I finaly got a replacement this week due to another issue.
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 70-300 L IS | 430 EX II | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 + MH054M0-Q2

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
A friend of mine has the 6D. The battery drains overnight even with the power off. He sent it to Canon and they upgraded the firmware and then said that they could not reproduce the problem.

It worked properly for a couple of weeks, but now it's doing it again. He can't leave the battery in the camera without it draining in a day or two, even with the power switch shut off.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

PS... too late to return it.

GPS on?

otherwise no.. never heard of that problem.

GPS and wireless is off. Even the main power switch is off, so it shouldn't matter what the GPS and wireless are doing.

Which lens do you have attached?  I've had my 6D since December and only saw this problem twice, recently after purchasing a Tamron 24-70 2.8 (power was switched off).  Both times I had the Tamron lens attached and found the battery completely drained in the morning.  I have never seen this with any other lens attached (Canon 24-105, 70  - 200)

Thanks for the tip! 
He does use the Tamron 24-70 2.8 IS. I asked him to try different lenses, as well as leaving it with no lens attached. He is away for another week or so, but I'll pass on your experience. The lens may well be the problem!

That's it. Tamron lenses released prior to newer Canon cameras (new Rebels and 6D) can cause this issue. If that lens is still in warranty your friend should ask for replacement. Tell him to insist on replacement. I made a mistake and didn't do it. Instead of replacement the service centre replaced just VC and reprogrammed the lens - it solved the issue with battery but made the lens worse. I finaly got a replacement this week due to another issue.

Thanks again! My buddy will be thrilled if this solves the problem. The lens is about 6 months old. He bought it with the camera in December.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
I disagree, because there is no other full frame camera which exceeds the 6D's overall performance and quality, for the money. 

Well, the D600 exceeds it, of course  8).

FYI, not everyone is smitten like you by the 1-point AF system (effectively) on the 6D.
And not everyone is OK with a 1-point AF system (effectively) and consumer ergonomics on a $2K camera.
I know what good value is for me - and the 6D is not.

The d600 has it's strengths and so does the 6d.  the d600 beats the 6d in servo, DR and resolution, and dual cards (yes there is the x-sync but that's really of no concern to me).  the 6d beats the d600 in overall low light capabilities (center point can AF in any light, better IQ and DR above ISO 6400).

it's not a 1 point system!  the outer points work pretty good until you get into some real low light, then its 1 point, but one point that can AF in pretty much any situation!!!!

LOL though, I am still editing that wedding where my second shooter had a D4 and a D3s --- and on my end it was the 6d and the 5d3...each cameras images are really good (which is awesome that the 6d's IQ is on par with other pro FF bodies!  So....while the value may not be there for you, it certainly is for me!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
So....while the value may not be there for you, it certainly is for me!

Heh. The irony is that Canon went an extra mile to inconvenience pros with some of the 6D 'features'.
And yet, due to its 'low' price, the 6D still an incredible value for pros - despite all inconveniences.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »
I disagree, because there is no other full frame camera which exceeds the 6D's overall performance and quality, for the money. 

FYI, not everyone is smitten like you by the 1-point AF system (effectively) on the 6D.
And not everyone is OK with a 1-point AF system (effectively) and consumer ergonomics on a $2K camera.

You've tried the 6D, and compared it to the D600?  In what way is the D600 better?  I say it is not.

It is definitely not a one point autofocus.  All the points work superbly.  The people who were complaining about, apparently got early production units with defective sensors.  Mine works great whether with center point or with any of the points, or with all of them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
"You really need a supertelephoto lens in a fast professional sports situation, to realize the extra speed and focus ability of the 5D3. "

This is really false. The AF is very important in just about anything that moves moderately quickly, using almost any focal length. Animals, boats, cars, runners, any sports, casual and pro birding, ... Kids ... ever try to capture kids at a birthday party? It's no easier than pro sports, maybe even harder.

I can capture anything you would like me to capture with the 6D's autofocus.  What I said is not false, at all.  The 5D3's autofocus will not pull ahead, until you have a very fast lens with very fast AF motor, which is also precise, but also demands fast speed and precision from the body.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
I think we're seeing the natural tendency of people who own a particular product to defend it's attributes, and minimize the importance of those features for which better models offer improvements.

You really need a supertelephoto lens in a fast professional sports situation, to realize the extra speed and focus ability of the 5D3.
This is really false. The AF is very important in just about anything that moves moderately quickly, using almost any focal length. Animals, boats, cars, runners, any sports, casual and pro birding, ... Kids ... ever try to capture kids at a birthday party? It's no easier than pro sports, maybe even harder.

+1  My 5DII could not keep up with my 3 year old running toward the camera, even with the DoF of an f/4 lens.  I don't think the 6D would do a whole lot better. 

In practical terms though, 6 fps is not that much faster than 4.5.

In mathematical terms, it's 33% faster.  That's going to make a difference with many subjects.

You quoted me out of context, I said it shoots 30% more shots over a given time interval, if you would bother to read it.  6fps is 33.33333333333333333333333333333333333% more frames, if you want to get technical.  Splitting hairs here doesn't mean much, though.  Neither does 6fps versus 4.5. 

Yes, I own the 6D.  You do not.  Apparently you have not even tried one.  The difference between you and me is, I have tried (besides the previous cameras I've owned) a 7D, a 5D3, a 5D2, a 1DX, a 1D4, and a 1Ds3...besides some Nikons.  My judgment is not clouded.  Yours is, besides being ignorant of the 6D, having not tried or compared one for yourself.

Honestly I have not come across anything faster than the 6D's autofocus can keep up with, especially children.  It can keep up with small birds in flight, which have infinitely faster angular velocity than a running, jumping human child.  I've never gotten a child out of focus with the 6D.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
The fact that the 'set' button cannot be used to jump to centre AF point - aka pressing the 'joystick' in on the 5D.

To me this seems like an error in programming. The eight way controller works quite well once you are used to it. An unexpected benefit is that when using a vertical grip without the joystick ( 5D mk1 and 2) you can still move focus point .

It is just so logical to press 'set' to centre the AF point, and so illogical that it doesn't happen.

I am tempted to also add the polymer top plate, but to be honest you just cannot tell the difference from the 5D. Those who call the 6D 'plasticy' have got an over active imagination.

The set button can be used to toggle between center point and all points active, provided you first engage the + button.  Not sure why you're saying yours can't.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »

The d600 has it's strengths and so does the 6d.  the d600 beats the 6d in servo, DR and resolution, and dual cards (yes there is the x-sync but that's really of no concern to me).  the 6d beats the d600 in overall low light capabilities (center point can AF in any light, better IQ and DR above ISO 6400).

it's not a 1 point system!  the outer points work pretty good until you get into some real low light, then its 1 point, but one point that can AF in pretty much any situation!!!!

LOL though, I am still editing that wedding where my second shooter had a D4 and a D3s --- and on my end it was the 6d and the 5d3...each cameras images are really good (which is awesome that the 6d's IQ is on par with other pro FF bodies!  So....while the value may not be there for you, it certainly is for me!

Based on the tests I've seen, it's way below ISO 6400 where the 6D pulls ahead of the D600, at the pixel level.  If you are referring to downsampling to 8 MP, I say who cares.  I don't buy a camera like this to downsample images. 

I also highly doubt the D600 can beat the 6D in servo mode.  It can shoot 1 more fps than the 6D, that's its only speed advantage...which is a very small advantage.  The dual card slots are the only real advantage, besides the low noise at low ISO , below 1600 or so.  Yes there's some extra dynamic range, but it's not a huge difference.

If I did events where I needed to shoot 2000 frames per hour, then I would complain about the lack of dual card slots.  Thankfully I don't do those.  That would be a pure nightmare in post, just sifting through them.  Photography doesn't pay enough, regardless of the job, to do that much post work.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »
I've never gotten a child out of focus with the 6D.

Never?   I can only conclude that 1) you don't shoot many kids, or 2) you are hyperbolizing to the point where it becomes a lie. No AF system is perfect, they all miss, it's just a question of frequency.  Sorry, I don't buy 'never', except in that way that I can honestly say I've never gotten a Sasquatch or a Yeti out of focus.   

Yes, I own the 6D.  You do not.  Apparently you have not even tried one.  The difference between you and me is, I have tried (besides the previous cameras I've owned) a 7D, a 5D3, a 5D2, a 1DX, a 1D4, and a 1Ds3...besides some Nikons.  My judgment is not clouded.  Yours is, besides being ignorant of the 6D, having not tried or compared one for yourself.

If it helps you to believe that, that's fine by me.  However, it's not true.  In fact, a few weeks ago I was at a kids' birthday party, at which several of the parents had dSLRs and we had a nice round robin with a 1D X, 5DIII, 6D, and 7D (I opted out of trying the 7D, since I own one).  In my case, I tried them with the 70-200 II and 85L II.  There were static (briefly) kids, running kids, jumping and sliding kids (it was a 'bouncy house' thing), all in pretty crappy lighting (>ISO 3200 to have a hope of an action-stopping shutter speed). 

All three bodies did great with static kids and one shot center point AF.  With the peripheral points and the 85L, the 6D often (>20%) failed to lock or locked after excessive hunting, whereas the 5DIII and 1D X had no problems (thus, I can see what the poster who called it a '1-point system' means).  With the peripheral points and the 70-200 II, the 6D did as well as the others on static subjects.

With servo and moving kids, the 6D did ok, but just ok, with the 70-200 II, and not well at all with the 85L.  The 5DIII and 1D X were hard to distinguish (I could see the active points stick on the faces with the 1D X, whereas the 5DIII often went to shirts, etc., but at f/2.8 and the distances involved, the DoF was sufficient).  Kids running diagonally toward me gave the 6D the most trouble - a higher miss rate for that than I found acceptable.  When I tried servo tracking with an outer point on the 6D, it would frequently start out in focus then drift successively to backfocusing as the kid ran closer.  The 1D X and 5DIII had no problem in that scenario.  That may be technique, though - I suspect if I'd used just the center point, the 6D would have fared better.  But that would mean cropping away a lot of the final images, since for composition purposes I prefer to leave the subject 'room to run' within the frame.  With the center point on the 6D, the handoff to the outer points sometimes 'missed' and the outer point would lock onto a pipe on the wall or something - the high density of the 5DIII/1D X AF sensor makes those handoffs seamless.

But it really doesn't matter.  What matters is that you're happy with your 6D and it gets you the shots you need.  While my experience with the 6D was limited, I owned a 5DII for years.  While I really liked the IQ, I was frequently frustrated by the limitations of the AF system with moving subjects.  My brief experience with the 6D left me with the conclusion that while it was definitely improved compared to the 5DII, I would still be frustrated with it. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

In what way is the D600 better?  I say it is not.
As neuro said, feel free to believe in anything you want.

I've tried the 6D and 5DIII side by side.
Surprisingly, the 6D felt more comfortable in my hand.
The 1-point AF system was also responsive and snappy (I did not bother with the outer AF points whatsoever - what's the point).

So yes, I have tried the 6D.
I know that the 5DIII is an overkill for me, so I wish the 6D did not have the hideous button placement at the back.
Like I said in a previous post, this is the deal breaker for me.
Others might be fine with it; I'm not.

Btw, the 70D specs were just leaked.
It will have the same AF system as the 7D - 19-points, all cross-type.
Compare this to the AF system on the 6D, a higher-end body (supposedly),
It's a shame (disgrace?), really.

Enjoy your 6D. I'm glad it's working out for you. Amen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »

If it helps you to believe that, that's fine by me.  However, it's not true.  In fact, a few weeks ago I was at a kids' birthday party, at which several of the parents had dSLRs and we had a nice round robin with a 1D X, 5DIII, 6D, and 7D (I opted out of trying the 7D, since I own one).  In my case, I tried them with the 70-200 II and 85L II.  There were static (briefly) kids, running kids, jumping and sliding kids (it was a 'bouncy house' thing), all in pretty crappy lighting (>ISO 3200 to have a hope of an action-stopping shutter speed). 

All three bodies did great with static kids and one shot center point AF.  With the peripheral points and the 85L, the 6D often (>20%) failed to lock or locked after excessive hunting, whereas the 5DIII and 1D X had no problems (thus, I can see what the poster who called it a '1-point system' means).  With the peripheral points and the 70-200 II, the 6D did as well as the others on static subjects.

With servo and moving kids, the 6D did ok, but just ok, with the 70-200 II, and not well at all with the 85L.  The 5DIII and 1D X were hard to distinguish (I could see the active points stick on the faces with the 1D X, whereas the 5DIII often went to shirts, etc., but at f/2.8 and the distances involved, the DoF was sufficient).  Kids running diagonally toward me gave the 6D the most trouble - a higher miss rate for that than I found acceptable.  When I tried servo tracking with an outer point on the 6D, it would frequently start out in focus then drift successively to backfocusing as the kid ran closer.  The 1D X and 5DIII had no problem in that scenario.  That may be technique, though - I suspect if I'd used just the center point, the 6D would have fared better.  But that would mean cropping away a lot of the final images, since for composition purposes I prefer to leave the subject 'room to run' within the frame.  With the center point on the 6D, the handoff to the outer points sometimes 'missed' and the outer point would lock onto a pipe on the wall or something - the high density of the 5DIII/1D X AF sensor makes those handoffs seamless.

But it really doesn't matter.  What matters is that you're happy with your 6D and it gets you the shots you need.  While my experience with the 6D was limited, I owned a 5DII for years.  While I really liked the IQ, I was frequently frustrated by the limitations of the AF system with moving subjects.  My brief experience with the 6D left me with the conclusion that while it was definitely improved compared to the 5DII, I would still be frustrated with it.

I appreciate the detail as you relate your experience comparing those cameras at that time.

It’s entirely possible that this particular 6D you tried, had a faulty AF sensor, as others have discussed theirs having.  I have never had an issue with failure to lock AF, especially in servo mode, with any of the AF points.  However, I can certainly see how you could have problems with AF with the 85L ii.  I’ve not tried that one on my 6D.  But it is not known for its ability to AF quickly, as you and everyone knows.

It obviously depends on how you have the servo tracking set up in the menu, but also especially on the lens used...so I hope we can agree on that.  I admit the 70-200 f/2.8 ii, is designed to work better with more robust AF systems with more and faster computing capacity.  I don’t own this lens, nor do I want to.  It’s a fine lens, but I don’t want or need it.

“When I tried starting the servo tracking with an outer point on the 6D, it would frequently start out in focus then drift successively to backfocusing as the kid ran closer.”

Well, I can see why you had a problem here, because the 6D is not designed to specify a single point, then transition to other points in servo mode.  You have to leave it on that one point, and keep the subject on it as you pan.  You have to leave all points active, in order to track subjects that move across the frame, as you did in that situation.  This is also how the 5D2’s AF worked, is it not? 

The 5D3 and 1DX are the only bodies where you could do the action you are describing.  There is no “handoff” from point to point here, that the 6D can do.  You can only select single points at a time, or else leave them all active.  You should have just left them all active for this situation…which I will admit will still leave you with a lower hit rate than the 5D3 or 1DX.  The reason being, the top and especially the bottom points, absolutely love to grab foreground details on the ground and focus on them, rather than on the subject in the center vertical third of the frame.  If there was a way to select all but the top and bottom points, then the AF system of the 6D would be even closer to the performance of the higher density, higher AF-point sensor…in servo mode...in my opinion.  So that is definitely a case where Canon have "hobbled" the AF, and they should not have.

Again, I can see why you got frustrated.  I have simply become accustomed to the simpler AF sensor of the “downmarket” bodies (coming from the 50D)…so the choice to either use a single point in servo mode, or else leave them all active, is not all that difficult to make for me.  One or the other gets the job done.  Having the narrower array of points, also helps when you choose to leave them all active (because it alleviates the phenomenon of focusing on the ground in front of the subject...as my 50D almost always did...with all points active).  It kind of mimics using only the center group of points on the 5D3 or 1DX.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »
My own responses included in bold italic within the following quote...

I've tried the 6D and 5DIII side by side.
Surprisingly, the 6D felt more comfortable in my hand.

Not all that surprising, you're just agreeing with my own observation of superior feel and lighter weight.

The 1-point AF system was also responsive and snappy (I did not bother with the outer AF points whatsoever - what's the point).

That's just silly, all the AF points work unless you try to do what Neuro did above, or else if the AF sensor is faulty, as apparently a number of them have been. 

So yes, I have tried the 6D.

But have you tried the D600 and compared it directly?  That was kind of what you implied...

I know that the 5DIII is an overkill for me, so I wish the 6D did not have the hideous button placement at the back.

It's all just what you're accustomed to.  It took 1 minute for me to prefer the 6D's button layout and ergonomics to all other bodies, Canon or Nikon.

Like I said in a previous post, this is the deal breaker for me.
Others might be fine with it; I'm not.

Fine, so don't buy it.  But don't speak from ignorance about the 6D's autofocus...please.

Btw, the 70D specs were just leaked.
It will have the same AF system as the 7D - 19-points, all cross-type.
Compare this to the AF system on the 6D, a higher-end body (supposedly),
It's a shame (disgrace?), really. \

Perhaps it is.  I don't care.  I will never buy another 1.6x crop body again.  And I will happily take on anyone who wants to challenge me to an autofocus contest with their shiny new 70D.

Enjoy your 6D. I'm glad it's working out for you. Amen.

I do, and thank you.  I hope you buy something that works for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »