April 20, 2014, 01:57:50 PM

Author Topic: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?  (Read 23240 times)

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2013, 04:32:18 AM »
Only 2 things, really :)
  1. Single cross-type super sensitive AF point + 10 others I never use (I'd prefer 5 or even 3 point all cross-type super sensitive AF system)
  2. Single SD card slot (I'd prefer single CF, over dual SD. Coming from 5D/7D/50D/40D... it's a big downgrade. Let's just hope they'll learn that memory card format switching and mixing is a bad idea).
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2013, 04:32:18 AM »

billnelson75

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2013, 04:54:31 AM »
I've had the 6D for several months now, and I love the camera.  I think the 6D's target market is probably not people who previously owned the 5dII, that is what the 5dIII is for, but instead for those who want to jump from a crop sensor to full frame like I did.  I went from a t3 to a t3i to a 5d classic, and now I have my 6D and I couldn't be happier. 

I think when you make that jump, unless you are coming from a 7D, the autofocus doesn't seem to be that much of an issue, and in most cases, its an improvement from what you had previously.

The one thing that I don't like on the 6d is the GPS and how you have to turn it off when you aren't using the camera.  It will drain the battery to nothing.  There have been times I've pulled my camera out and its dead.  I'm used to switching it off now, but it seems like the camera should go into some type of GPS sleep when it hasn't moved or it can't get a GPS signal, but it doesn't do that.  Even with it turned down to the least frequent settings, it is still firing when the camera is off and draining the battery.  I'm sure this could probably be fixed with some type of firmware update, so hopefully Canon does that soon. 

Beyond that, I love the camera.  It takes beautiful photos, and has a great size for me, not as big or heavy as the 7d or 5d mark III, and it fits my hands well.  As for price, its a great value, I bought the kit, sold the included lens, and my total price ended up at less than $1600. 

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2013, 05:33:07 AM »
The one thing that I don't like on the 6d is the GPS and how you have to turn it off when you aren't using the camera.  It will drain the battery to nothing.  There have been times I've pulled my camera out and its dead.  I'm used to switching it off now, but it seems like the camera should go into some type of GPS sleep when it hasn't moved or it can't get a GPS signal, but it doesn't do that.  Even with it turned down to the least frequent settings, it is still firing when the camera is off and draining the battery.  I'm sure this could probably be fixed with some type of firmware update, so hopefully Canon does that soon. 

For clarification:

When you switch the 6D off the GPS continues to operate therefore the only way to really switch it off is to remove the battery?

Can the GPS option be disabled in menu, if so does that stop it from working completely?

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2013, 05:45:43 AM »

For clarification:

When you switch the 6D off the GPS continues to operate therefore the only way to really switch it off is to remove the battery?

Can the GPS option be disabled in menu, if so does that stop it from working completely?

Negative. You can disable/enable it easily in the menu. What Bill implied is that it is easy to forget to turn it off if you haven't developed a habit of doing so. That's why I've added that, along with the Wi-fi function, to my "My Menu" settings for easy access.
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

pensive tomato

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2013, 05:50:05 AM »
For clarification:

There is the option to disable the GPS via the menu. Doing that stops the battery drain in my experience. I added that option to my star/favorites menu as a shortcut. I think what's being asked is a more efficient energy management routine when the camera is not being used (I wonder if smartphones are more efficient in this regard). That way, you wouldn't end up playing around with the settings much.

EDIT: I can see bleephotography posted on this while I was at it. Same approach here!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:54:25 AM by pensive tomato »
6D | M | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 22 f/2 STM | 600EX-RT (x2) | MT-24 EX | 270 EX II | ST-E3-RT

Wildfire

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »
Recently got my 6D after using the 50D for 4 years, and the single biggest con that I've noticed is the AF assist lamp is placed much lower on the body... So low, in fact, that I sometimes accidentally cover it with my finger.

??

The 6D doesn't have an AF assist lamp! You need a speedlite to gain that functionality -- I know the front of the body has an IR sensor near the grip to detect a Canon remote shutter, but AF assist on Canon bodies is news to me! (The "lightning storm" provided by the Rebels does not count as AF assist :P)

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »
For clarification:

There is the option to disable the GPS via the menu. Doing that stops the battery drain in my experience. I added that option to my star/favorites menu as a shortcut. I think what's being asked is a more efficient energy management routine when the camera is not being used (I wonder if smartphones are more efficient in this regard). That way, you wouldn't end up playing around with the settings much.

EDIT: I can see bleephotography posted on this while I was at it. Same approach here!

Ah thanks, as long as disbling in the menu stops drain then for me it's a non issue although I can see why a better management routine for it would be clearly beneficial.

Regards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
How about you show yours first, since I'm such a liar, you would just cut them to pieces and claim I didn't shoot them or something. 

Get over yourself, you know full well that you SAID YOU SELECTED A SIDE AUTOFOCUS POINT AND THEN EXPECTED IT TO HAND OFF TO OTHER POINTS.  An impossibility with the 6D, but a reality with the 5D3 and 1DX.

"When I tried servo tracking with an outer point on the 6D, it would frequently start out in focus then drift successively to backfocusing as the kid ran closer."

How can you "try" a single outer AF point without selecting it?  You can't.  What you said was intentionally misleading, if you are now claiming you did not select that point.  If you had all AF points active, then that's what you're doing...you're not "trying" an outer AF point.

Case closed on that, you lost.

How about this?  Rather than me posting pictures of minors who are my relatives on the internet...why don't you give me your phone number and we can discuss this on the phone, Dr. bigshot.  I am open to an autofocus shootout with anyone who ever happens to travel into my area.  You could...unless of course you're afraid to travel in the South.  I have no doubt you can travel anywhere you wish on a whim, Dr. bigshot.

Btw, I've been to Boston quite a few times.  I have cousins who grew up there.  Both my uncle and one of his sons attended MIT, and the son taught there for a number of years.  The daughter got married on the Harvard campus in the chapel.  I attended the wedding...a few months before 9/11/01.  I'm grateful the wedding wasn't in september, or my family and I might have been on one of those airplanes!

Your part of the country has its strengths and its weaknesses...so come down off your high horse Dr. bigshot, and act your age.  There's no need for this constant petty snideness you're happy to hurl at me...calling me a liar.  At least I know how to use a "crude" autofocus system.

For the record, of course I selected an outer point, and put it on the subject. No, I did not expect a handoff. Yes, I kept the selected point on the subject.  The 6D failed to track, and shots got successively backfocused.  It was evident that the AF point remained on the subject, otherwise it would have locked on to something else. The subject was not a blurry mess with something else in focus, s/he was just out of focus enough so the shots became useless as the camera failed to track properly.

Independently, I used the center point to start in 11-pt auto select.  There, I expected the camera to hand off focus to the outer points.  Many times, it did.  Other times, it failed miserably.  Frequency of those failures was unacceptably high, to me.

Case closed, the 6D lost.

As for the rest of your thoroughly insulting post, it's apparent that you will often meet criticism of the 6D with vitriol and personal attacks. Give you my phone number so I can be subjected to verbal insults as well? Don't be ridiculous.

It would be nice if you would stop misinterpreting my statements and overtly misquoting me to support your opinion.  But rather that hope for something that may not happen, I'm not going to continue this discussion further.  I will simply ignore your posts, and trust the mods will deal with the situation appropriately if the insults continue.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »
For the record, of course I selected an outer point, and put it on the subject. No, I did not expect a handoff. Yes, I kept the selected point on the subject.  The 6D failed to track, and shots got successively backfocused.  It was evident that the AF point remained on the subject, otherwise it would have locked on to something else. The subject was not a blurry mess with something else in focus, s/he was just out of focus enough so the shots became useless as the camera failed to track properly.

Independently, I used the center point to start in 11-pt auto select.  There, I expected the camera to hand off focus to the outer points.  Many times, it did.  Other times, it failed miserably.  Frequency of those failures was unacceptably high, to me.

No doubt, the 6D AF system is lightyears behind that of the 5D3 or 7D.  The key question for users is will it work for the type of photography they do.  In my case the answer is "YES". 

I take mostly landscapes, portraits and shots of kids including some sports activities.  I find the 6D AF system very good for all of the above except sports and kids running around where it is just acceptable.  I expect some out of focus action shots, but overall I prefer it to my 7D for that type of shooting since the in-focus shots have much better image quality and lower noise. 

I could have purchased a 1DX or 5D3 instead of the 6D, but couldn't justify the additional expense to myself for features that would not make much difference in my photography.  Photography is a hobby for me and not a vocation.  The 6D is what it is, and entry level full frame camera with excellent image quality and limited AF.  I'm very happy with mine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:35:06 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
I've had the 6D for several months now, and I love the camera.  I think the 6D's target market is probably not people who previously owned the 5dII, that is what the 5dIII is for, but instead for those who want to jump from a crop sensor to full frame like I did.  I went from a t3 to a t3i to a 5d classic, and now I have my 6D and I couldn't be happier. 

I think when you make that jump, unless you are coming from a 7D, the autofocus doesn't seem to be that much of an issue, and in most cases, its an improvement from what you had previously.

Beyond that, I love the camera.  It takes beautiful photos, and has a great size for me, not as big or heavy as the 7d or 5d mark III, and it fits my hands well.  As for price, its a great value, I bought the kit, sold the included lens, and my total price ended up at less than $1600.

Agreed on most of your points.  I suppose many people might buy the kit and sell the lens.  I probably should have, but I had too many lenses to sell at the time as it was.

I do like the 24-105, and I may buy one at some point.  But I think a 24-70 would be more useful for me overall.  Before that I really need a wide angle, possibly a zoom.

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
How about you show yours first, since I'm such a liar, you would just cut them to pieces and claim I didn't shoot them or something. 

Get over yourself, you know full well that you SAID YOU SELECTED A SIDE AUTOFOCUS POINT AND THEN EXPECTED IT TO HAND OFF TO OTHER POINTS.  An impossibility with the 6D, but a reality with the 5D3 and 1DX.

"When I tried servo tracking with an outer point on the 6D, it would frequently start out in focus then drift successively to backfocusing as the kid ran closer."

How can you "try" a single outer AF point without selecting it?  You can't.  What you said was intentionally misleading, if you are now claiming you did not select that point.  If you had all AF points active, then that's what you're doing...you're not "trying" an outer AF point.

Case closed on that, you lost.

How about this?  Rather than me posting pictures of minors who are my relatives on the internet...why don't you give me your phone number and we can discuss this on the phone, Dr. bigshot.  I am open to an autofocus shootout with anyone who ever happens to travel into my area.  You could...unless of course you're afraid to travel in the South.  I have no doubt you can travel anywhere you wish on a whim, Dr. bigshot.

Btw, I've been to Boston quite a few times.  I have cousins who grew up there.  Both my uncle and one of his sons attended MIT, and the son taught there for a number of years.  The daughter got married on the Harvard campus in the chapel.  I attended the wedding...a few months before 9/11/01.  I'm grateful the wedding wasn't in september, or my family and I might have been on one of those airplanes!

Your part of the country has its strengths and its weaknesses...so come down off your high horse Dr. bigshot, and act your age.  There's no need for this constant petty snideness you're happy to hurl at me...calling me a liar.  At least I know how to use a "crude" autofocus system.

The way you worded it made it sound like you selected the point then it did not hand off properly.  You're saying it failed to servo track to an identical degree with both the 70-200 ii and the 85L?  How do you know for sure?  You can't exactly repeat the exact same movements of children at the same distances and speed.  In any case, mine has not had this problem.  It is able to servo track with any of the points, even the side points.  It seems to be fastest with my 70-200 f/4, and I suspect it is because its focusing elements are lighter in weight than the ones in my 135 f/2 (I'm guessing but it seems logical).  To do a more fair and scientific comparison, a more controlled test would have to be done.

Never been my experience with my camera at all. 

I have my doubts that the unit you used was even functioning properly, and I certainly know that you are biased against it in any case.

As for the rest of your thoroughly insulting post, it's apparent that you will often meet criticism of the 6D with vitriol and personal attacks. Give you my phone number so I can be subjected to verbal insults as well? Don't be ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all.  You continually insult me in this forum with no provocation whatsoever.  It's time to talk man to man.  I am certainly as cordial as you are.

It would be nice if you would stop misinterpreting my statements and overtly misquoting me to support your opinion.  But rather that hope for something that may not happen, I'm not going to continue this discussion further.  I will simply ignore your posts, and trust the mods will deal with the situation appropriately if the insults continue.

Fine with me, because I learn more from you when you are not attacking me personally for no reason other than chest thumping.  As I've said, I'm here to learn, and to share.

And I do apologize again to anyone who feels I insulted them.  Definitely not why I come here at all.  I suppose we are all passionate about photography and its various aspects including the "gear".  There's no reason we can't do our best to keep passions in check.  I continue to work on my own failings as I age.

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2013, 04:40:12 AM »
whoa!  what happened here?  wtf did I miss?  are you guys arguing about if a camera's AF is good or not? really? 

the 6D is great for what it is at the price point it's at.  If the 6D's features don't fit your needs, get the mk3 or 1DX.  it's not that complicated.  It didn't happen to meet my needs for what I wanted from a backup camera but that doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else.  Heck, for me, I just didn't like it not matching the feel/button layout of my 5D mk3... again, first world problems.....sheesh,  I'll live. 

as far as who's lying and who's had real world experience with the camera, go try it out for yourself.  a consumer's own personal experience/opinion with the body is what matters the most anyway.  They're the ones shelling out the cash to purchase the product.  share your thoughts on it if you care to share but my goodness, let's keep it civil.  name calling and insulting each other is just useless and to be honest, I'm surprised a moderator hasn't put a stop to this discussion already. 

go shoot some pictures guys/gals.  I still think that's more entertaining than writing essays on CR about

5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
whoa!  what happened here?  wtf did I miss?  are you guys arguing about if a camera's AF is good or not? really? 

the 6D is great for what it is at the price point it's at.  If the 6D's features don't fit your needs, get the mk3 or 1DX.  it's not that complicated.  It didn't happen to meet my needs for what I wanted from a backup camera but that doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else.  Heck, for me, I just didn't like it not matching the feel/button layout of my 5D mk3... again, first world problems.....sheesh,  I'll live. 

as far as who's lying and who's had real world experience with the camera, go try it out for yourself.  a consumer's own personal experience/opinion with the body is what matters the most anyway.  They're the ones shelling out the cash to purchase the product.  share your thoughts on it if you care to share but my goodness, let's keep it civil.  name calling and insulting each other is just useless and to be honest, I'm surprised a moderator hasn't put a stop to this discussion already. 

go shoot some pictures guys/gals.  I still think that's more entertaining than writing essays on CR about

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »

Hannes

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »
For me the AF is a deal breaker. Had it had the af capabilities but most importantly the spread of even the older 40/50D AF array I wouldn't have hesitated. I could live with inferior AF compared to the 5DIII if it is priced accordingly. I could live with SD cards and the lack of the joystick but something as important as AF isn't nice to scrimp on.

One thing I would have like to see would be an option like a 6D mod. B that replaced the gps and wifi with a pop up flash. While it wouldn't be used much having one as a back up is always nice for when one is taking snapshots and if it could act as a master it'd be awesome.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »
I could live with inferior AF compared to the 5DIII if it is priced accordingly.

The 6D is currently selling for around $1600 in the US and the 5D3 for $3000+.  Considering the image quality is very similar, I think that makes the 6D a bargain.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »