October 21, 2014, 04:30:26 PM

Author Topic: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?  (Read 31575 times)

randerson5726

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: What do you NOT like about the Canon 6D?
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2013, 11:43:05 PM »
I really don't like the fact that when you switch into video mode, all your settings you had in photo mode transfer to video mode. Video settings are far different than photo. They should be independent like on the 60D.

I find the wifi menu very confusing. I often reset the wifi settings to get it to work with my iPhone.

I also miss having the pop up flash for remotely firing a speedlite.

Otherwise I think it's an amazing camera for the price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2013, 11:43:05 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2013, 01:07:25 AM »
It's great for what it was made to do.  That aside, this thread needs to give up:
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2013, 05:06:49 AM »
I could live with inferior AF compared to the 5DIII if it is priced accordingly.

The 6D is currently selling for around $1600 in the US and the 5D3 for $3000+.  Considering the image quality is very similar, I think that makes the 6D a bargain.

The 6D is priced much better on your side of the pond, here the price difference is about $1000-1100 making the gap smaller between them. It is interesting that the 5DIII costs about the same but the 6D is more expensive here.

Going grey import you can get down to $1600 for a 6D here but then the 5DIII would be about $2800 from the same place.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2013, 05:51:56 AM »
The 6D is currently selling for around $1600 in the US and the 5D3 for $3000+.  Considering the image quality is very similar, I think that makes the 6D a bargain.

You're correct about Canon's *relative* internal product differentiation, they take great care here. But the alternative view would be that *both* the 5d3 and the 6d are rather expensive in *absolute* terms. No, I don't want to start another flame war nor would I want to switch brands due to Magic Lantern, but it's really all about personal preferences (ii.e. if a camera has just what you want and how much value this has for you) and the question if you just compare Canon with Canon or dslrs in general.

Going grey import you can get down to $1600 for a 6D here but then the 5DIII would be about $2800 from the same place.

Where is your "here":-p ? And how would a grey import work - at least for Germany you'd have to pay ~20% vat plus 20% import tax if customs happen to inspect the camera, making it much less of a bargain ... plus is there any warranty at all on grey imports to the EU?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:01:43 AM by Marsu42 »

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »

You're correct about Canon's *relative* internal product differentiation, they take great care here. But the alternative view would be that *both* the 5d3 and the 6d are rather expensive in *absolute* terms. No, I don't want to start another flame war nor would I want to switch brands due to Magic Lantern, but it's really all about personal preferences (ii.e. if a camera has just what you want and how much value this has for you) and the question if you just compare Canon with Canon or dslrs in general.

Where is your "here":-p ? And how would a grey import work - at least for Germany you'd have to pay ~20% vat plus 20% import tax if customs happen to inspect the camera, making it much less of a bargain ... plus is there any warranty at all on grey imports to the EU?

UK from HDEW who buy their stock from hong kong since it comes out cheaper than getting it from Canon UK. They will also supply you with a three year third party warranty since Canon UK won't touch the equipment.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2013, 02:12:34 AM »
For me the AF is a deal breaker. Had it had the af capabilities but most importantly the spread of even the older 40/50D AF array I wouldn't have hesitated. I could live with inferior AF compared to the 5DIII if it is priced accordingly. I could live with SD cards and the lack of the joystick but something as important as AF isn't nice to scrimp on.

One thing I would have like to see would be an option like a 6D mod. B that replaced the gps and wifi with a pop up flash. While it wouldn't be used much having one as a back up is always nice for when one is taking snapshots and if it could act as a master it'd be awesome.

There may very well be a "model B" version of the 6D in the future.  It seems logical.  I owned a 50D for 4 years.  The 6D's autofocus is superior to it in most situations.  The 50D lacked the ability to tweak the servo mode, for example.  It also had less AF points...

The spread of the 6D's AF points alone (and/or the lack of a higher number of points), isn't really that big of a problem.  The big problem is all the points other than the center point, are intentionally not cross type.  This is the much moaned about "hobbling".  They need not be "double cross", in my opinion.  But all the outer ones are one direction only, and not very sensitive in low light.  However, I knew this long before I bought, or even tried a 6D.

That aside, as I have said in another thread today...I have nearly 7000 cycles on the shutter since March, and I am very happy with this 6D.  It is what I expected, and it performs well for the money spent.  The only time I get something not in focus, is if I depend only on those outer points...while also in low light...and usually in servo mode...with anything that moves even at a moderate speed.  So...just don't do that.  Leave them all active, or else use center point only.  In servo mode in very bright light with a high contrast subject, you can probably get by with selecting only one outer point.  But for servo mode that is critical, or in lower light...leave them all active and make sure you keep the action at or near the center of the frame.  If you're hypercritical about not wanting to do this, you probably already own a 5D3, a 1DX, or something else anyway.

Also the choice of lens seems like it is crucial, for AF speed and accuracy during servo mode.  In my experience, the "faster" aperture lens, isn't necessarily always going to achieve focus as fast as a "slower" lens, even if the light is less than ideal.  In my opinion there are a lot of factors in play here...certainly the "weak" AF sensor in the 6D needs all the help you can give it, in this situation.  So if you know you have a shoot coming up where it's critical, try as many lenses as possible, and mimic the shooting conditions as best you can...to decide which one will work best and fastest with the camera. 

If I made a living solely with photography, I would probably own all three...the 1DX, 5D3, and 6D.  For my current professional and non-pro purposes, the 6D steps up and is always ready for action.  My own goal is to own something with a superior image and AF sensor, to the 1DX...which will hopefully happen with its replacement.

One more point...I'm also perfectly happy with the 6D's video ability.  I don't shoot video professionally, and have yet to notice any moire. I know it's there, but I apparently don't ever shoot anything that will set it off.  I guess I just like the low noise, the color and contrast.  But I certainly would like to emphasize, that if you ever intend to shoot professional video with a Canon DSLR, just make sure you use a 5D3, likely with the RAW video hack.  Before that hack, to me the Black Magic camera looked better...but not since the hack.  My non-expert opinion...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:28:59 AM by CarlTN »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2013, 02:12:34 AM »