April 18, 2014, 03:47:39 PM

Author Topic: Canon 30D with 300mm L. f4 (Non-is) - what 1.4x teleconverveter will work??  (Read 1645 times)

OCDguy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Hi first time here. Just got a Canon 300 mm L f4 to use with my 30D. Canon says "None of the converters"  will work with this combo??? Are they talking new ones?? i.e. 1.4  II and III? Anyone use a 1.4 X with this combo? What about the Kenko 1.4X or older 1.5X?

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Where does Canon say that?  AFAIK (and confirmed by Photonotes), the 300/4L (non-IS) works just fine with all the Canon EF extenders (although with the 2x TC you're at f/8 meaning no AF on most bodies).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

OCDguy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Where does Canon say that?  AFAIK (and confirmed by Photonotes), the 300/4L (non-IS) works just fine with all the Canon EF extenders (although with the 2x TC you're at f/8 meaning no AF on most bodies).

This is what Canon Canada said : "Dear  David

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your Canon lens.

I am sorry, the lens you are referring to is not compatible with any of our EF Extenders1.4x or 2x.

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,
Technical Support Representative
Customer Information Centre
Canon Canada Inc. "

ahab1372

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

This is what Canon Canada said : "Dear  David

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your Canon lens.

I am sorry, the lens you are referring to is not compatible with any of our EF Extenders1.4x or 2x.

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,
Technical Support Representative
Customer Information Centre
Canon Canada Inc. "

Canon Customer Service should know, but they do not always. Bryan at TDP says Extenders work, and he tried: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-300mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:54:48 AM by ahab1372 »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
It works definitely with the 1,4 III.
All the others should work too.

Otara

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
I have a 300F4 L and 1.4 extender and it definitely works.  Its also reviewed at Photozone both with and without a TC 1.4

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Canon's answer is complete BS!

I have 300mm f/4L non-IS for a few ... decades!

I have used it with 3rd party Sigma 1.4 and Tamron 2X.
Now I have Canon EF1.4X II and EF2X II

With EF1.4X II it autofocuses fine with all my analog and digital bodies and the quality remains top!

With EF2X II it manual focuses except with my 5D3 which autofocuses fine with latest firmware.

canon rumors FORUM