November 25, 2014, 06:30:47 PM

Author Topic: Any Lightroom Alternative for Retouching photos?  (Read 4855 times)

sanjosedave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Any Lightroom Alternative for Retouching photos?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »
1. picmonkey.com

2. Adobe offers 30 day free trial for most of its products, try LR to see if it does what you want

3. Wait until the Holiday season where you can usually find Photoshop Elements for ~$50

4. Take a class at a community college, making you eligible for the education discount

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
Just pony up for Lightroom. If that is out of your price range, then you've picked the wrong hobby.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
I'm not a professional either. I started using LR two years ago. Before that I used iphoto which at that time I thought was adequate until I realized what LR could do. You could use Photoshop elements.  I got it for like 60 bucks. But if you want to spend more time shooting and less time editing you should make an investment and get LR. Don't underestimate the post process.  It's as important as the shooting process. It is part of the creative process. 
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
Hi, I refer cheap in the context that I will only use the software like 4 times a month, and I am not sure if this trend will go on.

I heard lightroom is heading to subscription version, and want to avoid this.

I have a 6D, 28mm 1.8, and recently 75-300 iii, 430ex ii. $150 software is not even yet in the list.

I am already using DPP. I was looking for a software mask and edit selectively portion of image.
That could do HDR look photo seamlessly, and non destructive one.

I will try those softwares you guy have mentioned.

No, Lightroom is, and for the near future, will remain available in retail boxed copy (and upgrade pricing). It _is_ available as part of Adobe Creative Cloud (aka call home DRM), but last I heard a perpetual license will remain available for a while to come. This is a worry for me as well, and if they go that direction I'll have to figure something else out, or switch software :\

For doing masking, don't know what GIMP's capabilities are these days, but Photoshop Elements has some of those capabilities. I know there are other pieces of software (forgot which) that focus on HDR merging, so you can look for those. Just export as TIFFs from DPP and pull them into that software which will output a separate TIFF/JPG/PNG.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
Just pony up for Lightroom. If that is out of your price range, then you've picked the wrong hobby.

That's a bit harsh but the bottom line is true. Evn with alternative approach ( http://alesserphotographer.com/blog/a-lesser-photographer-a-manifesto ), photography still isn't for the feint of wallet.

Other than that +1 for Darktable and +1 to all "save, it's worth it" comments.

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »
I used Corel's Aftershot pro for a while - picked it up from corels website for $30.  Pair that with a ~40 paintshoppro package and you got a decent budget setup.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »

That's a bit harsh but the bottom line is true. Evn with alternative approach ( http://alesserphotographer.com/blog/a-lesser-photographer-a-manifesto ), photography still isn't for the feint of wallet.

Other than that +1 for Darktable and +1 to all "save, it's worth it" comments.

Wow, thank you for that link. Captures a good bit of where I think I'm going as I've started to shoot a lot more film, and experiment with different film cameras and formats.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »

eninja

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
I was the op. I visited sagelight website and I am glad development or shall I say its moving forward after all.
I like sagelight because I haven't tried lightroom, and its cheaper. And I also like how my photo react base from different settings(handle bar) I move. I'm not a professional or expert or pixel peeping, I just find sagelight easy to use.

I want to support sagelight, that is why I am sharing this. It amaze me that all the code, sagelight software and algorithm was coded by just one person..

http://www.sagelighteditor.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/SagelightEditor

If anyone of you is bored or something, could you install sagelight and play with it, and compare to lightroom??
I believe sagelight comes in 30 day free trial.

Thank you.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »
For quick and dirty edits, I use ACDSEE 17 while I use Photoshop and LR for most of my work.  Even the base ACDSEE 17 will edit raw images and save them as 8 bit jpg images.  You still have the original 16 bit image if you want to do another edit.

Its inexpensive but quite powerful.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »