April 21, 2014, 01:44:56 AM

Author Topic: Medical joint overload by heavy dlsr?  (Read 4771 times)

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Medical joint overload by heavy dlsr?
« on: June 27, 2013, 04:59:41 AM »
Currently I seem to be getting into a chronical a medical condition because my equipment seems to be too heavy for the way I handle it: The whole 60d+70-300L+600rt-flashbracket package rests on the last joint of my ring finger, and my physician advises me strongly to change the way I shoot or stop doing it, at least for 8-10h straight every other day.

Problem is: I don't know how to even the load on my hand, esp. with the flash bracket because I cannot attach a hand strap at the same time. There are lots of people with expensvie (i.e. heavy) equipment on CR, and I'd like to ask you for your advice:

* Where does the whole camera load sit with you (with me it's the ring finger and a bit of the index finger of the right hand)? Do you carry the weight rather with the left hand that holds the lens?

* Does a battery grip help to even the load because you can grab the camera with the whole hand?

* Does a larger grip like 5d2/3 vs 60d/6d help because you need to cramp the hand less?

Edit: Using a monopod is not possible for what I'm doing...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:10:20 AM by Marsu42 »

canon rumors FORUM

Medical joint overload by heavy dlsr?
« on: June 27, 2013, 04:59:41 AM »

scarey83

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Medical joint overload by heavy dlsr?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 05:31:11 AM »
I'm not sure I can even picture how to do that!

I have a 7D + 70-300L, which admittedly I don't tend to use with the flash (as then it's about 2kg!), but I support it with both hands when taking a photo - left palm supports the LHS if the body and my fingers go out to the lens. When I'm walking around and cant be bothered with a strap, I let it hang from all four fingers on my right hand.
I do find the larger grip on the xD bodies helps. I could never get used to an xxxD body now, they're so tiny.

This may not work but if you have trouble stopping yourself resting it on your finger, you could try strapping it to a neighbouring finger.

scarey

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »
I have a 7D + 70-300L, which admittedly I don't tend to use with the flash (as then it's about 2kg!)

The flash-bracket is a major factor because the flash load is outward, creating a lot of torsion (just like a longer lens like the 70-200/2.8L2 would). And the 600rt is heavy, I need it for the power but if I sometimes put on the smaller 430ex2 it's a big difference.

When I'm walking around and cant be bothered with a strap, I let it hang from all four fingers on my right hand.

That's the problem: With the smaller 60d grip, even when dangling the camera downwards the load is still more or less on the same fingers. One thing I certainly have to do is to take the camera into the other hand when walking and at every other opportunity :-\

Universeal

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Universeal
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »
For me it goes to joint of my hand. Now i have a huge problem, i have to keep my left hand straight when i grab something because if i bend it, it would hurt me a lot and i might drop it very easy. I saw to put some rice in a ball or something and keep grabbing the rice for couple of tens of minutes every day. Didn't try it yet.

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:01:41 AM »
I carry the weight with my left hand, so my right hand is free to operate buttons. I think it's more stable that way. However, when in portrait position, I switch the weight to my right hand (most of the time) and it may be a bad habit, because when I press the shutter I tend to shift the horizon (which requires some straightening in post).
If you don't feel comfortable holding it by the lens, there are handles made for lens tripod collar. Something like that http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/140765523/original.jpg maybe. You should try, don't risk your joints.
FF + primes !

John MARK

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »
Hi Marsu42,

Common saying is "a nice picture's worth more than a thousand words"...

Could you attach a photo of yourself through a mirror while holding your equipment the way you describe it ?

I'm having a hard time trying to figure it out just by reading your explanation  ;)

FWIW, I often hold my flash in my left hand and camera (60D, 550D, G1X, G12...) in my right hand with either optical, OC-E3 or RF (Phottix ODIN) sync in between, depending on body / situation etc.

More flexibility than with a flashbracket and some weight distribution between both hands, as a bonus.

Cheers  :)

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:10:06 AM »
I saw to put some rice in a ball or something and keep grabbing the rice for couple of tens of minutes every day. Didn't try it yet.

My doc explained to me that the joints - fingers or wrist - simply weren't made for this type of continued stress, building muscles hasn't anything to do with it, there's no prevention other than better/other handling of the gear... the main problem is that it not only hurts, but can get chronic if you ignore the problems for too long.

Btw if I just use the 60d+17-40L it feels light as a p&s, I suspect whoever created our skeletal layout didn't like heavy dslr gear :-p

Something like that

Hey, that looks useful, thanks! Did you try one of these grips, how does it handle in real life?

Edit: Does anyone know where to get a cheap China version of these grips? The US version from the image I found on ebay is $15 plus $90 shipping, doh.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:13:40 AM by Marsu42 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:10:06 AM »

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:27:26 AM »
Something like that

Hey, that looks useful, thanks! Did you try one of these grips, how does it handle in real life?

I tried one with a ball-head mounting (don't remember the brand, I didn't buy it), which allows you to adjust the angle in any direction, but it didn't feel like I need something like that. The guy (owner) said that he tried a few cheaper ones without angle adjustment and those were not as uncomfortable to hold. I don't have any real life experience with it, sorry. These are used mostly for really heavy lenses I don't use or cannot afford :).
FF + primes !

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:28:30 AM »

Here you go, my new CR self-portrait and my first sooc picture ever :-> ... I don't know if the pictures help, but coming from much lighter equipment and just recently having bought the heavy stuff I'm dumb enough to just use my left hand for lens operation while I hold everything with my right hand (the ring finger, that is...).

Edit: Removed self-portraits since they've served their purpose - I wasn't holding the left hand/arm under the lens and had to support the weight with the right hand.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:14:20 AM by Marsu42 »

Universeal

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Universeal
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 06:33:10 AM »
I did other type of work for my joint and it worked, i recovered for some time but not full because it wasn't for full recovery. I used my camera for 2 days and now i'm full of pain. I used a lot 70-200f/2.8 is2 with 5dmk3+grip. I have worse condition on my left hand and it's getting worse.

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 06:35:45 AM »

Here you go, my new CR self-portrait and my first sooc picture ever :-> ... I don't know if the pictures help, but coming from much lighter equipment and just recently having bought the heavy stuff I'm dumb enough to just use my left hand for lens operation while I hold everything with my right hand (the ring finger, that is...).

So, that's the difference, I don't zoom, because I use primes.
Nice beard :)
FF + primes !

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »
I think it will feel heavy no matter how you hold it.

Do you have a monopod with a small/light ballhead to rest your gear there maybe?

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
So, that's the difference, I don't zoom, because I use primes. Nice beard :)

Hey, (that's why) I usually shoot things in front of the camera, and with some more preparation :-p ... but you're correct, with my prime (100L) it's better not only because it's not as heavy, but I really support it with my left hand.

I did other type of work for my joint and it worked, i recovered for some time but not full because it wasn't for full recovery. I used my camera for 2 days and now i'm full of pain. I used a lot 70-200f/2.8 is2 with 5dmk3+grip. I have worse condition on my left hand and it's getting worse.

Sorry to hear that, and I feel with you - the 70-200/2.8L2 is not only more heavy than my 70-300L, but your lens is also longer which creates more wrist torsion ... this is one of the reasons why I didn't buy it, other than the packaging size and of course price.

I think it will feel heavy no matter how you hold it. Do you have a monopod with a small/light ballhead to rest your gear there maybe?

No use, for what I'm currently shooting I'm either moving/crawling 99% of the time or standing waist-deep in water, for stationary objects I usually use a real tripod so that's no solution.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »

docholliday

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:26 AM »
Currently I seem to be getting into a chronical a medical condition because my equipment seems to be too heavy for the way I handle it: The whole 60d+70-300L+600rt-flashbracket package rests on the last joint of my ring finger, and my physician advises me strongly to change the way I shoot or stop doing it, at least for 8-10h straight every other day.

Problem is: I don't know how to even the load on my hand, esp. with the flash bracket because I cannot attach a hand strap at the same time. There are lots of people with expensvie (i.e. heavy) equipment on CR, and I'd like to ask you for your advice:

* Where does the whole camera load sit with you (with me it's the ring finger and a bit of the index finger of the right hand)? Do you carry the weight rather with the left hand that holds the lens?

* Does a battery grip help to even the load because you can grab the camera with the whole hand?

* Does a larger grip like 5d2/3 vs 60d/6d help because you need to cramp the hand less?

Edit: Using a monopod is not possible for what I'm doing...

Yes, the grip will help. That's why I don't shoot with another bodies other than 1-series and Hasselblad. A full hand grip with all fingers on the grip gives even pressure to the hand and joints. With the smaller bodies, the pinky tends to go under the body and the pressure of holding the body with the other fingers cramp the pinky and ring finger. The grip will give you more surface area to evenly spread the pressure out.

I "lay" the camera and lens into my left hand (with hand underneath, palm facing upward). The right hand doesn't carry much weight. I use my index finger to tweak focus and my thumb+pinky to change zoom. I've held the camera for 15+ hours and don't feel any fatigue from it (other than in my shoulders from having my arms up more than usual).

The part I always like about medium format waist level, cradle camera with left hand, wrap right around opposite side, and rest back of camera against stomach!

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »
you said that attaching a handstrap is not possible because of the flash bracket.
Probably the FB could be shifted over to the tripod mount  ring so you can ad a handstrap.
A handstrap brings the weight to your whole hand and it is possible to hold the camera without even closing the hand.
I can handhold the 1Ds3 with 16-35 and 580EX(with difusor) only with my right hand ( 580EX in the left hand )
for hours and the first that geht tired is my arm the hand is perfectly fine.
(a BG brings extra weight but also brings a better grip cant say if it would help. probably trying to test it would be a good idea )

I also thought about a that kind of support system bringing the weight to your chest video people sometimes use to get steadier. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:06:31 AM by Timothy_Bruce »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »