August 28, 2014, 07:24:07 AM

Author Topic: Need a new Body- nothing available- wtf Canon  (Read 10503 times)

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
Need a new Body- nothing available- wtf Canon
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
Any new news on when a new canon body might appear..? I mean anything?

Im running my t2i into the ground...and the 72100 looks delish but im not switching. Love my t2i and dont want to see it lose its life before an new body - at nice high intro price becomes available.

(Cant believe the 60d and 7d are still on the market. Neither are options for me. 6d is the same.)

Was thinking ( lot) about a t4i, but the prices are a bit too high for my tastes. I may have to go this route as a holdover body, but im just not sure thats a wise decision.

What is a portrait shooter that cant afford a 5d3 to do?

:(
Be the best you, screw everything else.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new Body- nothing available- wtf Canon
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
So is your T2i broken? 

You're clamoring for a new body, but complaining the price of the T4i is too high...yet both the T5i and SL1 were announced earlier this year and are both newer than the T4i.  If something newer is announced tomorrow, I hope you realize it's going to be more expensive than the T4i which is last year's model after all.

A portrait shooter should be strongly considering the 6D, but you state it's not for you.  Why not?  It's exactly what 'a portrait shooter that cant afford a 5d3' should be considering...

So I say, not wtf Canon, but wtf ashmadux!   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »
If price of t4i is too high, then the 6D will be too high -though it is a less expensive alternative to 5DM3

You could look at a refurb 4Ti, now with 1year warranty

Canon announces fewer new bodies than does Nikon, sort of like Apple and Samsung in the smartphone market

beckstoy

• Rebel T5i
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
So is your T2i broken? 

You're clamoring for a new body, but complaining the price of the T4i is too high...yet both the T5i and SL1 were announced earlier this year and are both newer than the T4i.  If something newer is announced tomorrow, I hope you realize it's going to be more expensive than the T4i which is last year's model after all.

A portrait shooter should be strongly considering the 6D, but you state it's not for you.  Why not?  It's exactly what 'a portrait shooter that cant afford a 5d3' should be considering...

+1

Also, you said ashmadux, "What's a Portrait Shooter who can't afford a 5DM3 to do?"
...how about get out and work harder?  Who says you can't afford it?  It's all affordable, but you've gotta take it seriously and make some cash first.

Stop complaining, ashmadux, and get to work.  Canon is making some great products and nothing they're putting out is going to be cheaper than the t4i.  Just expect it and decide to up your game.  There are enough complainers in the world.
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
We all like to see new announcements, and there have already been low cost models, and there will be high end models next.

If you are in the USA, consider getting a refurb model, or trade in a dead powershot or even a dead film slr using the Canon Loyalty Program for 20% off most refurbed bodies.

GmwDarkroom

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
Was thinking ( lot) about a t4i, but the prices are a bit too high for my tastes.
Too high for what you get or just too high?

Right now, you can get a refurb T4i body from Canon for just over $500.  The SL1 is ~$650 online.  I assume that a T3i is out.

What's your budget and requirements?  If I did portraits, I'd be pouncing on a 6D like a cobra on a furry rodent with IQ like that.

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Let me clarify that half/ rant.

I used to have a main body - 7d-and a backup - t2i. The 7d wasnt cutting it visually and the af broke down, so i had to get rid of it. As the image quality is very pleasing, ive been shooting with the t2i exclusively for the last year. However its already been to the shop twice and now the lcd in the screen is not showing the iso correctly.

Basically ive been waiting for a new 7d level body, and it just hasnt shown up yet. I miss the solid body, joystiq and the af options of the 7d.  tried to like the 6d, but i just dont, and the focus point spread is abysmal for portrait work IMHO. Im not a fan of focus recompose method, or excessive cropping. I really think that camera has to many limitations to be worth 1600+. Nah.

• I actually would like to purchase a 5d3 but i am building my portrait studio and the money is just not there.
  • I already have a rebel so buying another for 5/600 is not really in my plan.

So yup, i am working hard.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »

I used to have a main body - 7d-and a backup - t2i.
 I actually would like to purchase a 5d3 but i am building my portrait studio and the money is just not there

I feel your pain.  I have had a t2i for a long time and also have 5D III.  Looking around for a reasonable crop body today, it's amazing to me the non-improvement Canon has achieved since t2i. 

Unless you have lots of investment in Canon lenses (I unfortunately do), Nikon D7100 really looks good; however, if unable to switch, then you'd be happy to know CR has justed posted specs on the new Canon 70D with a NEW 20.2 MP sensor  8)   Let's just hope it's a good one.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/06/canon-eos-70d-spec-list/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:58:57 PM by drjlo »

SwissBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »
For studio work, a 5DII (yes, 2/two) might also work quite fine!
EOS 50D, 600D - 24-105L - 40f/2.8 - 85f/1.8 - 580ii - Lensbaby Muse, Composer with Plastic, Double Glass, Edge 80
Tokina 11-16f/2.8 - Sigma 150mm OS Macro
Flickr

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »
For studio work, a 5DII (yes, 2/two) might also work quite fine!

+1

PS - What kind of portrait work has caused you to run a 7D into the ground.  I can think of one field that gets pretty... moist....... lol
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
2nd hand 5D2.

You're welcome.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
yeah a 5f2 is looking tempting, though i really rely on outer focus points, which its not great at, but... I do know that that body has done tons of amazing work through the years. Hmm, ill ponder that one.

Its the t2i that im running into the ground...afraid it going to lay on its back one of these days.

And my 70-200 2.8is2 will be taken from me WHEN I DIE  8)

oh wait....look at that 70D...HMMMM

untitled10

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
+1 on the 5d2
I bought one last year and I love it, the outer focus points are reliable in good light, but if you're shooting portrait in a studio I would use a tripod and live view focus anyway, but you will really see gh diffence in a bigger sensor for portraiture, unless you're heavily invested in efs lenses that is?

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »
So is your T2i broken? 

+100
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 06:46:17 PM »
Let me clarify that half/ rant.

I used to have a main body - 7d-and a backup - t2i. The 7d wasnt cutting it visually and the af broke down, so i had to get rid of it. As the image quality is very pleasing, ive been shooting with the t2i exclusively for the last year. However its already been to the shop twice and now the lcd in the screen is not showing the iso correctly.

Basically ive been waiting for a new 7d level body, and it just hasnt shown up yet. I miss the solid body, joystiq and the af options of the 7d.  tried to like the 6d, but i just dont, and the focus point spread is abysmal for portrait work IMHO. Im not a fan of focus recompose method, or excessive cropping. I really think that camera has to many limitations to be worth 1600+. Nah.

• I actually would like to purchase a 5d3 but i am building my portrait studio and the money is just not there.
  • I already have a rebel so buying another for 5/600 is not really in my plan.

So yup, i am working hard.

your options are being limited not by what canon offers, but by what compromises you wish to make.  The 7d2 will mostly be close to 2k (possibly more if they want to really make it the flagship APS-C) - and - IMO for portrait work your spending a ton extra for a body that really isn't made for it!  the 7d series is for fast shooting, sports, birds in flight, with the crop factor it has the more mans tele extender. 

The 6d is an amazing portrait camera.  It works nicely with all of my lenses from primes to zooms.  As a former 7d owner, the FF models (botht he 6d and the 5d3) blow the 7d out of the water in IQ (and I loved my 7d when I had it). 

if your willing to save up the 2k to snag the n7d2 (whenever that gets to the market), I'd say just grin and bear it and take that time to save the extra cash and grab a refurb 5d3 (if your working hard, then you should have the extra 1k before they even announce the 7d2)

Here's some examples of portraits with the 6d...it really isn't a bad camera at all!!!!!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light