August 23, 2014, 07:41:44 AM

Author Topic: Need a new Body- nothing available- wtf Canon  (Read 10472 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new Body- nothing available- wtf Canon
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
Any new news on when a new canon body might appear..? I mean anything?

Im running my t2i into the ground...and the 72100 looks delish but im not switching. Love my t2i and dont want to see it lose its life before an new body - at nice high intro price becomes available.

(Cant believe the 60d and 7d are still on the market. Neither are options for me. 6d is the same.)

Was thinking ( lot) about a t4i, but the prices are a bit too high for my tastes. I may have to go this route as a holdover body, but im just not sure thats a wise decision.

What is a portrait shooter that cant afford a 5d3 to do?

:(

What do you have against the 6D?  Ever tried one?

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »
If the only problem with 6d is the AF points position then I dont get it...studio portrait work isn't the most AF intensive field! Focus and recompose is free (I don't like it either but if that's really the only option...) and manual focus too...

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 03:30:53 AM »
Maybe the TBA 70D will cut the edge for you? Anyway, in portraiture I'd go FF (6D, 5D3 refurb, 5D2)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »
OP why not just buy the 5D3 - it is not a great deal of money if you are seriously into your photography.
If, on my tiny income, I could afford to pay off my mortgage 8 years early, buy 8 Canon lenses from 17 to 800mm (6 of them "L"series), a  5D, a 1D4 as well as holidays + a lot of whiskey and cigarettes then I don't think the price of a 5D3 is such a biggie if it is important to you. Remember all the above was bought in Ripoff Britain!

P.S. I recently had a play with a 6D - I am impressed with it for the money.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
wft ashmadux...about 70D ;D

I think 5D 3 will be perfect ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:27:16 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JBeckwith

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »
If you don't "need" full frame, the t2i will give you just about as good results as any other crop sensor camera available right now.  If your t2i actually does bite the dust, just buy another one for $200 until you have enough to save up for the camera you really want (e.g. 5d3).
5D Mark II | 70-200 f/4L IS USM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Yongnuo 560 II

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 01:43:11 AM »
For using it only in a studio I would also recommend a used (=less money) 5D2.
IQ is still among the best, espacially on moderate ISO; the older AF should not harm you working on a studio.
After using crops you will be pleased by the remarkable gain of quality.
Good luck!

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »
If the only problem with 6d is the AF points position then I dont get it...studio portrait work isn't the most AF intensive field! Focus and recompose is free (I don't like it either but if that's really the only option...) and manual focus too...

+1

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
If the only problem with 6d is the AF points position then I dont get it...studio portrait work isn't the most AF intensive field! Focus and recompose is free (I don't like it either but if that's really the only option...)

It may be free, but you get what pay for...  Here's a good description of Why Focus-Recompose Sucks.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:20 AM »
Focus recompose, wouldn't be necessary in a studio.  A studio should have modeling lamps on its strobes (or else focus assist beam firing via your flashguns).  If you can't get the outer points to work on the 6D with modeling lamps, something is wrong.  Turn them up brighter, or else send the camera to Canon to make sure this much hated AF sensor isn't actually defective.  Some of them have been. 

For the focus-recomposing I've done (not in a studio), I just have not had a real problem with it.  However I certainly would not attempt it with an f/1.2 lens at or near wide open; that would definitely move the subject out of the plane of focus.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 04:45:48 AM »
If the only problem with 6d is the AF points position then I dont get it...studio portrait work isn't the most AF intensive field! Focus and recompose is free (I don't like it either but if that's really the only option...)

It may be free, but you get what pay for...  Here's a good description of Why Focus-Recompose Sucks.

That's why I then imply that manual focus also void his issues with some models AF point positions.

This topic should be over for long. With his conditions and "desires" pony up a 5d3/1d or suck it up and make it work.

The Bad Duck

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »
Focus recompose, wouldn't be necessary in a studio.  A studio should have modeling lamps on its strobes (or else focus assist beam firing via your flashguns).  If you can't get the outer points to work on the 6D with modeling lamps, something is wrong.  Turn them up brighter, or else send the camera to Canon to make sure this much hated AF sensor isn't actually defective.  Some of them have been. 

For the focus-recomposing I've done (not in a studio), I just have not had a real problem with it.  However I certainly would not attempt it with an f/1.2 lens at or near wide open; that would definitely move the subject out of the plane of focus.

+1
But you already know this. Go to f/8 or something, put more light from your strobes, that will also put you on iso 100. All problems solved. In the studio, that is. 5D2 should be great.

Low natural light, no modeling lights or fast moving subjects, that´s another thing. On some speedlights but not all, there are modeling lights to use in a short burst that may be enough for getting focus. Of course, AF-points are not spread out as far as I would like them to be on the 5D2 but that is about the only thing not to like.

But for studio, 5D2 should be a the best IQ/$ you can get. Put your money into better lights instead. Don´t just stop because there seems to be a problem, work around it.

good luck!

crasher8

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
A portrait shooter on a low end crop complaining about the mfg not releasing another inexpensive body? WTF

marcel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • personal work
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »

I used to have a main body - 7d-and a backup - t2i. The 7d wasnt cutting it visually and the af broke down, so i had to get rid of it. As the image quality is very pleasing, ive been shooting with the t2i exclusively for the last year. However its already been to the shop twice and now the lcd in the screen is not showing the iso correctly.

If the LCD is not showing the ISO, try Magic Lantern.

5D | 550D | 600D | 600 | RT | 14 L | 28 1.8 | 35 2 | 50 1.8 mk 1 | 16-35 L mk 2 | 28-80 2.8-4L | 50-200 3.5-4.5 L | 80-200 2.8 L | 100-300 5.6 L | Pixma Pro 9500 |  FT QL | FTbN QL |  FD 24 2.8 | FD 28 3.5 | FD 35 3.5 | FDn 35 2 | FD 50 3.5 SSC M | FD 100 2.8 | FD 135 3.5 |  FD 200 4 |

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »
Ill maybe try that when i have another main body to use. Oddly enough, &d was announced shortly after i created this thread. But that's not until September, so...

Ironically i feel like many others and now wonder that the 7d2 will be packing. Lets see what info comes out by September.

Also related, i was in a cam shop to pick up the eos m, and the camera guy had a ball telling me that "canon is bringing out a lot of stuff later this year" Of course nothing specific, but that does coincide with the current M firesale, even mentioned by this latest post.

Be the best you, screw everything else.