October 20, 2014, 06:18:12 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]  (Read 75347 times)

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure 70D did not inherit 7D's AF, just because 7D has a dedicated processor just for the AF + Dual Digic4 processors. Dedicated processors is what makes 7D's, 5DIII's and 1D's series AF so splendid.
5DIII doesn't have dual digic 5+...
I never said it has? To make it more clear.

For example. 7D has Dual Digic4 processors plus a dedicated CPU for AF only. 5DIII has Digic5+ processor and one dedicated CPU just for AF. So does the 1D series.

Proof
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do - expand the AF section

Achieving this speed and accuracy in the AF algorithm requires a large amount of focus data to be processed quickly. This has been done by the use of distributed processing where both a dedicated AF processor and a camera CPU process data. The dedicated AF processor is four times faster than the one found in the EOS-1D Mark IV.
Camera CPU being Digic5+

---
70D doesnt have a dedicated processor for the AF alone, there for its quite safe to assume it will not share 7D's autofocus capabilities.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:06:57 AM by whothafunk »
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »
 :)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »
I suppose the only thing MORE worthless than DxOmark's sensor scores, are their lens scores.  Absolutely worthless.
How can you say that? DXO scores the 50f1.8 higher than the 600f4.0 so it MUST be a better lens........ (Huge sarcasm tag inserted here)http://canonrumors.com/forum/Smileys/default/undecided.gif

the lens parameters DXO have are NOT the same as measuring parameters as QE, read out noise, DR etc, this parameters are real and given by max read out e  and noise floor

People here are experts to mix up things  and write rubbish.
IF I say if Canon was Nr 1 in sensor scoring no one here would say that DXO are absolutely worthless.
Keep things apart please

They were kept seperate. DXO Lens ratings are worthless.

The root of the problem is that you can not use a single number to represent a complex system with diverse options and capabilities for a variety of different users with different requirements and have agreement to the validity of that number. Using a single number, DXO rates the 50f1.8 HIGHER than the 600F4.0.... this is a reflection of how they choose to rate lenses, not the utility /quality of the lens for what you wish to do with your requirements and constraints. If I rate the lenses with higher weighting for cost, weight, and general purpose usage, than the 50f1.8 rates higher. If I rate for pure image quality and  with a higher weight on wildlife photography and lower weight on price and size, then the 600f4.0 rates higher.

Bias enters the rating system depending on what was chosen to be rated and how each factor is weighted.... and it is the same for ANY system where attempts are made to create a simplified scale. There is no set answer. We will disagree. You will be right for your requirements and I will be right for my requirements.

Once again, you can not represent a complex system with diverse options and capabilities for a variety of different users with different requirements with a single number and have agreement to the validity of that number.... AND THIS IS WHY DXO LENS RATINGS ARE WORTHLESS!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:39:43 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2013, 07:39:28 AM »
Does "new sensor" apply to a new sensor tech as well? An overall less noisy sensor which makes a difference in the APS-C bodies as well? Is this the reason for the enhanced ISO range?
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
Does "new sensor" apply to a new sensor tech as well? An overall less noisy sensor which makes a difference in the APS-C bodies as well? Is this the reason for the enhanced ISO range?

Who knows???? It could be new tech.... or it could be that with a Digic5+ the 70D has enough computing power to run better algorithms on the same tech....  I'm sure the jpg's are better, but what about the RAW images..... I guess we will have to wait for further info...

EDIT: Digic5+ is 3X faster than Digic5, Digic5 is 6Xfaster than Digic 4, so you have 18X the computing power availiable.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:17:28 AM by Don Haines »

garyknrd

• EOS M2
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »
 As a birder not very exciting new for me.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:43 AM »
Dual memory card slots please.

Forget it, this is reserved for commercially usable "pro" bodies, it's Canon after all.

completely new sensor or just a revamped 18MP sensor, that´s the question. I hope for a smaller manufacturing process.

I don't care for the process if it's one *real* stop iso improvement with no strings attached, i.e. iso1600 looks like iso800 now inc. the dynamic range of the lower iso settings.

Is it just me or does that look like 7D to me?
No, it's not just you  8).
Except for the articulating LCD, this is basically the 7D ... with a new sensor.

The digic5-based cameras have many qualities that are not immediately visible in the core specs due to the higher cpu power: more continuous fps, in-camera ca correction, higher res burst pictures (with Magic Lantern), ... the question if Canon again chooses to cripple the firmware for a "consumer" model

What's not clear about 70D yet:
- AFMA is present or not
- body is magnesium alloy or not
- SD card slot speed

It will have afma after all the 60d complaints, body mag/"plastic" is overrated, and sd card speed of course will be uhs-1 (the 5d3 just happened to have a crippled controller, doesn't seem to be intentional on Canon's side).

... the best thing about the 70d though: If the price is somewhat reasonable it's a tough competition for the 6d and should bring the latter's price down.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:43 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2013, 08:29:06 AM »
I don't care for the process if it's one *real* stop iso improvement with no strings attached, i.e. iso1600 looks like
iso800 now inc. the dynamic range of the lower iso settings.

Also don't care for the manufacturing process. That's Canon's problem. :-)

Our problem as Canon users is, that I expect Canon will not be able to deliver a sensor+electronics matching the current Nikon D7100 sensor in terms of IQ. Not in resolution (20 vs. 24 MP) and probably even less so in DR across all ISO settings starting at base ISO nor in Hi-ISO Noise. At best, I expect the 70D sensor to come in "only" 1 EV lower in DR and noise across the entire ISO range.

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »
where is the pic?

DMCA/copyright/takedown notice?

Most likely something of that sort. Doesn't mean the original leak wasn't deliberate. Canon's had way too many of these "Oops" moments within a week or so of the real announcements. Given how good their "normal" lockdown is, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an "officially unofficial" buzz-builder process for these things.

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2013, 08:46:47 AM »
I heard more details few days ago which I think were quite well informed...

* MA body / weather sealing
* SD card
* $1199

But then they also talked about GPS. No information on AFMA.

carlosmeldano

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
Our problem as Canon users is, that I expect Canon will not be able to deliver a sensor+electronics matching the current Nikon D7100 sensor in terms of IQ. Not in resolution (20 vs. 24 MP) and probably even less so in DR across all ISO settings starting at base ISO nor in Hi-ISO Noise. At best, I expect the 70D sensor to come in "only" 1 EV lower in DR and noise across the entire ISO range.

Canon uses the same 18MP sensor in their ASP-C cameras since 2009. It was very good at that time, bug aged since then.

I don't think they weren't developing new sensors. I may accept that they couldn't develop as good sensors as competitors, but for me, the 20MP tells something: it must be much better.

Why? They must have developed a few different sensors in size, and they tested all. After all, they decided to use a 20MP one in the 70D.

Why? Maybe because their 24MP sensor doesn't have as good IQ as the Nikon one. But the 20MP one, I think is at least as good as the one in Nikon.

Othewise, what would the market say? Lame Canon couldn't even develop a sensor with the same IQ as the one in Nikon that has 25% more pixels.

We'll see on next Tuesday.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
$1199 would be a downright bargain, compared to canon's normal pricing lately. If this comes in at that price point, I'm SUPER excited for the 7d2 because I might actually be able to afford it...

Re: CPUs and AF system. The 7D has dual digic 4, + 1 processor for AF. This has 1 digic 5+, which has "18 x computing power" (see above). Now, I understand that all this is a simplification, and that "power" is a very vague term. But, it doesn't seem inconceivable to me that the camera could process slightly less data at max burst (20.2MP * 7fps vs 18MP * 8fps), AND drive the AF system with the same CPU. Unless there are other, more demanding processing requirements, it would seem to me that 1 digic 5+ is doing the work of the previous 2 digic 4s + unspecified AF chip.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »

Canon uses the same 18MP sensor in their ASP-C cameras since 2009. It was very good at that time, bug aged since then.

I don't think they weren't developing new sensors. I may accept that they couldn't develop as good sensors as competitors, but for me, the 20MP tells something: it must be much better.

Why? They must have developed a few different sensors in size, and they tested all. After all, they decided to use a 20MP one in the 70D.

Why? Maybe because their 24MP sensor doesn't have as good IQ as the Nikon one. But the 20MP one, I think is at least as good as the one in Nikon.

Othewise, what would the market say? Lame Canon couldn't even develop a sensor with the same IQ as the one in Nikon that has 25% more pixels.

We'll see on next Tuesday.

What I find interesting is that the ISO range is the same as the T5i.... there really isn't much of a difference in size of pixels between  18 and 20 Mpixels.... I would have expected that if they had gone to a newer process that the ISO range would have exceeded the T5i, so my bet is the same technology as before for the sensor with further improvements to "live view" like we have seen on the last few lower-end releases.

Canon also said that it was to be the 7D2 that was the "game changer". That's when I would expect to see any signifianly better technology emerge.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »

marceloshak

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 8D?
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
What about Canon 8D?

http://www.fotoplus.su/catalog/photo/canon/5542/

if 8D is "kitted" with 18-55 lens, then it´s not the 7DII replacement.

carlosmeldano

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
What I find interesting is that the ISO range is the same as the T5i.... there really isn't much of a difference in size of pixels between  18 and 20 Mpixels.... I would have expected that if they had gone to a newer process that the ISO range would have exceeded the T5i, so my bet is the same technology as before for the sensor with further improvements to "live view" like we have seen on the last few lower-end releases.

Canon also said that it was to be the 7D2 that was the "game changer". That's when I would expect to see any signifianly better technology emerge.

Yes, you may be right.

Canon may put the same-or-bit-better-IQ 20MP sensor to 70D and putting the much-better-IQ 24MP sensor to 7D mk2.

if 8D is "kitted" with 18-55 lens, then it´s not the 7DII replacement.

I think it's kitted because it's also STM-capable but there are no higher-priced STM lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »