October 22, 2014, 10:29:28 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]  (Read 75458 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2013, 03:16:53 AM »

Of course for DR it's pretty certain that D7100 will be a clear winner.

I don't think Canon cares about DR vis-a-vis the Nikons ... that could only be so because the most of the users of the cameras also don't care about DR ... I'm no longer sure if I should care either.  ;)

More DR in canon cameras is certainly welcome, but it isn't all that matters.

Right.

The 70D needs to be compelling and different enough to get lots of 1xxxD, xxxD and xxD users to upgrade to it. The 60D was very underwhelming in that regard.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2013, 03:16:53 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2013, 03:19:02 AM »
"In-Camera HDR"
Aha, the new Canon sensor will not have very much DR. In best case same as 6D?! Personally i doubt it.
Anyway, this function "In-Camera HDR" will work, probably, only with Jpeg-s.
If it's like in the 5D3 then you can shoot the bracketed shots in RAW and get a preview in jpeg, then you can still use the RAW-files

True, but if it's like the 6D then you only get the Jpeg file  :( I expect a similar HDR feature (if at all) in the 70D.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2013, 03:21:32 AM »

Of course for DR it's pretty certain that D7100 will be a clear winner.

I don't think Canon cares about DR vis-a-vis the Nikons ... that could only be so because the most of the users of the cameras also don't care about DR ... I'm no longer sure if I should care either.  ;)

More DR in canon cameras is certainly welcome, but it isn't all that matters.

Right.

The 70D needs to be compelling and different enough to get lots of 1xxxD, xxxD and xxD users to upgrade to it. The 60D was very underwhelming in that regard.

Personally, I don't expect to be overwhelmed by the 70D simply because if a 7D2 is in the pipeline, the richer features will go to the 7D2 exclusively. I expect the 7D2 and the 70D to co-exist just like the 5D3 and the 6D. 
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2013, 03:59:41 AM »
The strongest GPS signals come from directly overhead, but most of the time you can see between 7 to 10 satellites spread over the sky. The LEO satellites arc across the sky in passes ranging from a few minutes to several hours, we have 6 dishes at work tracking them so it makes a great visual aid to locating them :). The more satellites you can see, the greater the accuracy of your position, but 3 gets you pretty close, and even if you turned your camera upside down and lost all signals, the GPS unit remembers its last known location.

Right.  I keep forgetting it's purely time-based and not vector-based, so there's no real precision loss even if all three birds are in the same general direction (so long as they aren't collinear).  :)

Either way, the point remains that I would not expect an antenna under the display bezel (front face) to be significantly worse than an antenna on top, as that's the most common antenna orientation for devices like phones while you're using them.

I can think of no technical reason why Canon could not mount its GPS and Wi-Fi antennas inside the display bezel like Apple does with the Wi-Fi antennas on the MacBook Pro.  It's not like the screen will ever be made of metal.  And if they find that the signal isn't good enough for some reason, there are lots of interesting tricks they could do to get around it, like adding a couple of tiny bands of metal somewhere on the front, separated by rubber seals from the rest of the body.

Do you mean the display bezel at the back or the LCD one on top?

The one at the back has a user-replaceable plastic cover to protect it, so it may be that putting an antenna there will disrupt that design.

The one on the back.  There's usually not a way to attach an antenna usefully to a bezel itself.  Instead, they're typically screwed to part of the frame that supports the display panel, which in turn holds them right behind the bezel.  I wouldn't expect bezel antennas to interfere with the removable cover (or at least not any more than having a fragile display panel behind a removable cover).

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #244 on: June 29, 2013, 04:21:28 AM »
Either way, the point remains that I would not expect an antenna under the display bezel (front face) to be significantly worse than an antenna on top, as that's the most common antenna orientation for devices like phones while you're using them.

GPS does not need to "look up".

In my experience gps doesn't *need* to look up, but it certainly works better the less matter there is between the gps sensor and the satellites. At least with my dedicated gps logger, more occlusion means less precision and/or more battery drain because the gps needs to keep trying to find a signal.

That point was already made by Dr. Neuro, and it's indeed a mystery to me why they put it next to the prism instead of under the lcd display ... but then again I never screwed my camera open to see how the wiring is how it's built.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »
"In-Camera HDR"
Aha, the new Canon sensor will not have very much DR. In best case same as 6D?! Personally i doubt it.
Anyway, this function "In-Camera HDR" will work, probably, only with Jpeg-s.
If it's like in the 5D3 then you can shoot the bracketed shots in RAW and get a preview in jpeg, then you can still use the RAW-files

True, but if it's like the 6D then you only get the Jpeg file  :( I expect a similar HDR feature (if at all) in the 70D.
Oh I didn't know that.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2013, 06:01:33 AM »

Beyond any specs, the xxd line will always have customers like me who hate the Rebel ergonomics, small (grip) size, no back wheel, no top lcd, completely cripppled fw - I'd pay more just to not be bothered by these problems.

True, but if it's like the 6D then you only get the Jpeg file :(
Oh I didn't know that.

I couldn't believe it either at first when I tried the 6d, and I am still wondering if I got it wrong: The fact that Canon forces the *source* files to be deleted is so impudent that it knocks your socks right off... and all reviews I know missed that, they only state "jpeg only" for hdr but don't say that it's impossible to do a custom hdr from raw afterwards in postprocessing and use the in-camera jpeg as a quick preview.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2013, 06:01:33 AM »

robbinzo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2013, 06:56:42 AM »
I like the look of this a lot.
I was almost about to buy the 6D with the 24-105mm f/4 but now I'm thinking 70D with EFS 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6.......or maybe get myself a 17-40 mm which would be a 27-64mm equivalent walkaround.
This changes things somewhat!
I like the specs. The two things that put me off the 6D are the AF and no built in flash. I don't much want a pop up flash but would like an integrated speedlite transmitter.
70D, 10-22mm EFS, 17-40mm L, 15-85mm EFS, 100L macro, 50mm f/1.4

Tanja

« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »
I couldn't believe it either at first when I tried the 6d, and I am still wondering if I got it wrong: The fact that Canon forces the *source* files to be deleted is so impudent that it knocks your socks right off... and all reviews I know missed that, they only state "jpeg only" for hdr but don't say that it's impossible to do a custom hdr from raw afterwards in postprocessing and use the in-camera jpeg as a quick preview.

NOBODY.. really interested in HDR will do in camera HDR.

i have my HDR settings on one of the custom functions.
even when the 6D had the same HDR functions as the 5D MK3 i would never use it.

and imo in camera HDR is pretty useless as preview too.
HDR is too much dependend on the postprocessing.

in camera HDR is like art filters in P&S cameras.
worthless if you are really interested in your photos.

my 2 cents.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #249 on: June 29, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »
NOBODY.. really interested in HDR will do in camera HDR.

I dare to disagree, because there are two types of hdr I do:

* High quality hdr, I'm doing this a lot, often in combination with panorama or focus stacking. For this you just need the raw files, a lot of time and processing power & and end up with all raw sources plus a 100mb+ tif file.

* Quick hdr when I do some walkaround and know there's some higher dr in a static scene than the sensor can take (like the sun/sky/shadow, a reflection, ...) that doesn't require high quality postprocessing. For this I'd find in-camera hdr very useful because as far as I tried it the 6d/5d3 are very good at assembling the shots.

The problem with the 6d here is that you *have* to decide up front if you want to postprocess or do in-camera because it deletes all source files, jpeg as well as raw, and you end up only with a jpeg with known shortcomings in comparison like no way to adjust the wb afterwards. Deleting the source files as an option is ok if you're on holiday and don't want to fill your cards with 7x brackets, but being forced to do so imho is just ridiculous.

arabstrap303

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2013, 08:40:17 AM »
I like the look of this a lot.
I was almost about to buy the 6D with the 24-105mm f/4 but now I'm thinking 70D with EFS 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6.......or maybe get myself a 17-40 mm which would be a 27-64mm equivalent walkaround.
This changes things somewhat!
I like the specs. The two things that put me off the 6D are the AF and no built in flash. I don't much want a pop up flash but would like an integrated speedlite transmitter.

I was about to do exactly the same as you and bite the bullet on a 6d with the 24-105, but the 70d spec is a real spanner in the works. Provided the price is substantially cheaper than the 7d, which you can now get for around £700 for the body, it'll be a very good deal.

The flash is no worries - if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d at high ISO's it'll be more than adequate. On the other hand, the wifi on the 6d and now 70d is an extremely compelling selling point for me - I've been doing astrophotography with an rx100 (don't laugh - it's amazing what one can achieve with that pocket rocket!) and the idea of using a phone as a remote is really nice.

Lenses wise, I'll take the cheapest possible kit EF-S lens going for when I need the wide, and I'm still thinking I'll get the 24-105L, the 40mm pancake and a 70-300 - all EF. I'm not interested in pricey EF-S lenses at all because at some point I can see a full frame body being purchased - I'd rather buy EF lenses and deal with the scale factor.

If I can get all that for say £1600 (about $2400) - which might be possible with grey imports, than that's quite a kit. Is it necessary to spend another £500/$800 for the 6d? Probably not. I expect the 7dmk2 when it's announced will be more costly than the 6d - and I'd definitely rather have the 6d then a crop body at that sort of price.

Anyway, it's all speculation - let's see what the reviews say first.

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »

... if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d at high ISO's it'll be more than adequate...

Why not 2 stops better than the 6D? why limit ourselves when we delve into the realm of fantasy?  ::)

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d

It is ridiculous to compare crop bodies to FF bodies like that. The outcome is very different with the same settings. DOF, graininess, noise, framing, .... You cannot compare this stuff.
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »

Rocguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
I have to admit these specs look pretty good. Not perfect, but would have been enough to get me to buy this instead of jumping to FF and the 6D when I did. My original plan, in January, was to get the 70D when it came out (as an upgrade from my t4i) and at some later date upgrade again to FF. But I'm glad I got tired of waiting and skipped this middle step. It would have just been a long delay in getting to FF. Now that I've gone to the 6D I see how unnecessary it would have been to stay shooting crop any longer than I was since I was interested in going to FF at some point.

I'm still amazed at the quality of pics my 6D produces. I shoot in low light a lot and still laugh at the high ISO I use and still get awesome photos. I hope those that will buy the 70D will be able to say the same. Like I said it does look like it will be a pretty good camera. I hope those of you planning on getting one love it. But I'm glad I did not wait.

arabstrap303

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »
if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d

It is ridiculous to compare crop bodies to FF bodies like that. The outcome is very different with the same settings. DOF, graininess, noise, framing, .... You cannot compare this stuff.

... if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d at high ISO's it'll be more than adequate...

Why not 2 stops better than the 6D? why limit ourselves when we delve into the realm of fantasy?  ::)

Blimey quite the over-reaction! OK, I phrased it wrong with 'anywhere near'. If the 70d has decent enough high ISO performance for my purposes (hobbyist level astrophotography), which I am sure it will, that will be enough for me. I'm not that stupid that I expect it to be of the same quality. Like I said, I value the features of the 6D like WIFI - I know most people think it's a gimmick and everything has to be about photo quality, but if the 70d has those and I get reasonable quality, that's fine and the extra cash can go on lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »