November 27, 2014, 04:52:51 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]  (Read 77927 times)

Alino

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Hi all, I'm new here, It's my first post.

With the 70D, I would like the return of the double fontions on the buttons of the top, near the LCD.

When I heve upgrade from 20D to 60D, this point has been very desapointing to me.

Xcuse for my poor english.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »

Hobby Shooter

Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List
« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »

Of course for DR it's pretty certain that D7100 will be a clear winner.

I don't think Canon cares about DR vis-a-vis the Nikons ... that could only be so because the most of the users of the cameras also don't care about DR ... I'm no longer sure if I should care either.  ;)

More DR in canon cameras is certainly welcome, but it isn't all that matters.

Right.

The 70D needs to be compelling and different enough to get lots of 1xxxD, xxxD and xxD users to upgrade to it. The 60D was very underwhelming in that regard.
No it wasn't. I went from 400D to 60D and was overwhelmed. It helped me take the next step in my photography. On 5D3 now.

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
You guys will probably think I'm weird, but depending on how improved the 70D sensor turns out, I'm thinking about selling my 6D and going to two or three crop bodies. (Downgrading from FF to crop? zomg!)

I love the sensor in the 6D, but it looks like everything else about the 70D is shaping up to be better than it's bigger FF brother. Faster flash sync, better autofocus, higher fps, articulated screen, built-in flash... I can't think of anything on the 6D that is better besides the sensor (don't use GPS). Switching back to APS-C also means cheaper bodies and lenses, which means I can afford more bodies and lenses! (f/1.8 Sigma zoom anybody?)

I would trade some sensor performance for a bit of everything else. It looks like the 70D is going to offer a lot of everything else.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »
You guys will probably think I'm weird, but depending on how improved the 70D sensor turns out, I'm thinking about selling my 6D and going to two or three crop bodies. (Downgrading from FF to crop? zomg!)

I love the sensor in the 6D, but it looks like everything else about the 70D is shaping up to be better than it's bigger FF brother. Faster flash sync, better autofocus, higher fps, articulated screen, built-in flash... I can't think of anything on the 6D that is better besides the sensor (don't use GPS). Switching back to APS-C also means cheaper bodies and lenses, which means I can afford more bodies and lenses! (f/1.8 Sigma zoom anybody?)

I would trade some sensor performance for a bit of everything else. It looks like the 70D is going to offer a lot of everything else.

Just don't underestimate the IQ value of those big pixels. You won't get that kind of IQ in a crop body. Even if Canon has made some improvements, and I certainly hope they have (otherwise the 70D IQ will be worse than the 7D IQ), it is unlikely that their 20.2mp APS-C sensor will beat the 6D in terms of IQ. That holds true especially if they have not moved to a new fabrication process...if they stuck with 500nm, then the photodiode area for these pixels will be REALLY SMALL. It would have to be a BSI design in order to make it perform better than the 7D with 500nm transistors (which isn't out of the realm of possibility...just still too early to make the decision to sell a 6D and jump the FF ship just yet, IMO.)

Robboesan

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 29, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »

Just don't underestimate the IQ value of those big pixels. You won't get that kind of IQ in a crop body. Even if Canon has made some improvements, and I certainly hope they have (otherwise the 70D IQ will be worse than the 7D IQ), it is unlikely that their 20.2mp APS-C sensor will beat the 6D in terms of IQ. That holds true especially if they have not moved to a new fabrication process...if they stuck with 500nm, then the photodiode area for these pixels will be REALLY SMALL. It would have to be a BSI design in order to make it perform better than the 7D with 500nm transistors (which isn't out of the realm of possibility...just still too early to make the decision to sell a 6D and jump the FF ship just yet, IMO.)

That is exactly where my question earlier in this thread pointed at: does "new sensor" also apply to new tech? If things remain as described here, we are still far off from improved high ISO IQ. So the crucial changes will have to be here. As I have a 5D3 I am very interested how Canon will progress in this during the 5D3's "product cycle". Although it is an excellent camera, I am still keen to see better high ISOs. And what I can guess based on the tech centered threads here a lot of it depends on sensor tech AND processing power via DIGIC upgrades.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:54:11 PM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »

That is exactly where my question earlier in this thread pointed at: does "new sensor" also apply to new tech? If things remain as described here, we are still far off from improved high ISO IQ. So the crucial changes will have to be here. As I have a 5D3 I am very interested how Canon will progress in this during the 5D3's "product cycle". Although it is an excellent camera, I am still keen to see better high ISOs. And what I can guess based on the tech centered threads here a lot of it depends on sensor tech AND processing power via DIGIC upgrades.

Better HIGH ISO's aren't the problem, at least not in your 5D3. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #262 on: June 29, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »

Nothing at all weird about that. It's just a case of what your style happens to be. Full frame is not better than APS-C, it's just different. If you don't shoot at high ISOs,  if you are more of an "F64" shooter than a wide open romantic bokeh type, if you don't routinely print larger than 2 x 3 feet, then the differences may not be worth the cost.

It is impossible to determine from a well-made print if it was shot on APS-C or full-frame. Much of the supposed "image quality" differences that full frame shooters think they see can be ascribed to confirmation bias.

Choose whatever works for your style and your budget and don't be intimidated.

Finally, remember the cardinal rule: "if you want to take more interesting pictures, stand in front of more interesting things."
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 29, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »

Better HIGH ISO's aren't the problem, at least not in your 5D3.

@bdunbar: of course you are right! as you know me from other threads, I am always dreaming of better high ISOs, but I am absolutely happy for the moment with anything what my 5D3 delievers! It's a great cam. So, once Canon turns its next page in sensor tech as mentioned above, it will get much more exciting as I am looking forward to an overnext 5D body... :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:32:18 PM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 29, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »
Oh pedro, that's right!  You're the H1 ISO nut on flickr!   :P
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 29, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
Oh pedro, that's right!  You're the H1 ISO nut on flickr!   :P

Yes, Sir!  8) Today I was at a wedding. A weddingtog was shooting an 1Dx with battery grip, looks cool.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 29, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
A weddingtog was shooting an 1Dx with battery grip, looks cool.

Hard to shoot a 1D X without the battery grip.  I suppose a hacksaw could be used, but I won't vouch for functionality after removal...   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 29, 2013, 02:13:16 PM »
@neuro: As I do only know the 1Dx by the posts about it and never held one in my hand, is there an extra battery power unit (battery grip) by design? that's great of course and necessary. I feel like a fool by mentioning it the way I did it... :-[
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:18:14 PM by pedro »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #267 on: June 29, 2013, 02:13:16 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 29, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »
@neuro: As I do only know the 1Dx by the posts about it and never held one in my hand, is there an extra battery power unit (battery grip) by design? that's great of course and necessary.

The grip is integrated - part of the body, all one piece.  The 1-series bodies are similar in size to other bodies with an accessory battery grip. The 1-series also use a larger, more powerful battery.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

overniven

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 29, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

I've been looking for a replacement for my T1i for some time.  I wanted to wait and see what the 70D offered.  Right now my budget (based on some assumptions) will allow for either the 6D, 5DMII or a 70D.

I'm going to wait and see what the more educated say about real world results on the 70D.  Particularly, I'm interested in low light (noise) handling.  Of course I'm interested in dipping my toes into the FF world, but that option will trigger the sale of my EF-S 17-55 and the acquisition of something like a 24-70 or the 24-105 (more realistic).   I can't imagine that both the 70D or the 6D aren't worlds better with AF than my current camera.

It's good to see the 70D look like a step forward instead of the sidestep that the T5i looks like.  It sure makes next year's rebel and the 7D upgrade seem a whole lot more interesting. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #269 on: June 29, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »