July 29, 2014, 04:15:46 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]  (Read 68655 times)

yogi

Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
B&H photo lists the 7d for $1299 after a $200 instant savings. I know it is premature to speculate about the real-life performance and tests and cost of the 70d, but i am wondering how many might consider the 7d over the 70d if there is not much difference in price. This really belongs on a future thread, but seeing the specs listed by Canon Rumors for the 70d, is anyone willing to make wild guesses? CR1 :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 30, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
but i am wondering how many might consider the 7d over the 70d if there is not much difference in price.

Depends on the 70D's buffer capacity. Those 7fps might just help with reducing frame to frame variance for HDR/bracketing, but be rather useless for more action orientated applications.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 30, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »
Yet another thread that has degenerated into a sensor debate....

I shoot with a camera, not a sensor. My camera is a balance of a lot of factors. Today was spent in a kayak and camera choice was dictated by the ability of the camera to fit into a tiny drybag. I brought along a SX-50.... Not the best camera in the world but small and no lens changes... I shot macro shots of dragonflies, wide angle landscapes, and telephoto shots of birds. My DSLR and Lglass spent the day in a bag on the living room floor.... Yes, the DSLR is a better camera and has better glass, but sometimes our requirements call for compromises.

The 70D will be a compromise camera.... Not as good as a 1DX, but better than a rebel. The enthusiastic sales of the 60D indicated that there is a market for it, so it will probably sell quite well. It will sell well because it is a good combination of features for the price and it has the Canon name on it. The vast bulk of buyers will not care about sensors or DXOmark ratings, they just want a good camera that works.

I have to agree about using the camera that is suitable for the job I have a waterproof Olympus tough that when I go on my SUP (stand up paddle ) board I can have it on a lanyard around my neck. I get photos of birds sting rays and some lovely reflection shots. No way could I carry a DSLR even with waterproof casing I have to balance hold my paddle frame the shot and click hoping that I stay on my board. Photos are not always exactly what I want but they do hold a memory.
+1

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 30, 2013, 09:57:03 PM »

I shoot with a camera, not a sensor. My camera is a balance of a lot of factors. Today was spent in a kayak and camera choice was dictated by the ability of the camera to fit into a tiny drybag. I brought along a SX-50.... Not the best camera in the world but small and no lens changes... I shot macro shots of dragonflies, wide angle landscapes, and telephoto shots of birds. My DSLR and Lglass spent the day in a bag on the living room floor.... Yes, the DSLR is a better camera and has better glass, but sometimes our requirements call for compromises.

The 70D will be a compromise camera.... Not as good as a 1DX, but better than a rebel. The enthusiastic sales of the 60D indicated that there is a market for it, so it will probably sell quite well. It will sell well because it is a good combination of features for the price and it has the Canon name on it. The vast bulk of buyers will not care about sensors or DXOmark ratings, they just want a good camera that works.

I have to agree about using the camera that is suitable for the job I have a waterproof Olympus tough that when I go on my SUP (stand up paddle ) board I can have it on a lanyard around my neck. I get photos of birds sting rays and some lovely reflection shots. No way could I carry a DSLR even with waterproof casing I have to balance hold my paddle frame the shot and click hoping that I stay on my board. Photos are not always exactly what I want but they do hold a memory.
I have one of those....it fits into the pocket of the PFD (Personal Flotation Device, not a typo of PDF)... My first shots of it were underwater.... Take a deep breath, roll over in the kayak... Snap a picture, and roll up again.... Try that with a DSLR!
The best camera is the one in your hands

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
B&H photo lists the 7d for $1299 after a $200 instant savings. ...i am wondering how many might consider the 7d over the 70d if there is not much difference in price.

I asked this question in reply #85. Love my 7D

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2013, 11:01:52 PM »
B&H photo lists the 7d for $1299 after a $200 instant savings. I know it is premature to speculate about the real-life performance and tests and cost of the 70d, but i am wondering how many might consider the 7d over the 70d if there is not much difference in price. This really belongs on a future thread, but seeing the specs listed by Canon Rumors for the 70d, is anyone willing to make wild guesses? CR1 :D

I imagine it will pretty much kill off 7DI sales. But I also expect Canon to announce the 7DII within a few months. Canon knows the 7DI (or classic, if you prefer) is pretty much at the end of its life cycle.

There are people still buying the 5DII instead of the 6D and I imagine there will be a few people out there who continue to buy the 7D because the other features are more important to them than a new sensor. But I expect that to be a small minority. Since the 60D is a better seller than the 7D (although the 7D is no slouch), I imagine Canon wants to maximize consumer sales before the Christmas holidays and the 70D will be a good way to do that.

Also, from a competitive standpoint, Canon needs to compete with the D7100, but Nikon has been very slow in releasing its D300S replacement. The current D300S has always been a very weak competitor to the 7D even when both were new. I'm sure Canon was hoping to see what Nikon released before launching the 7DII, but Nikon has been so slow to announce a replacement, one wonders if they have decided to concede the high-end crop-sensor market to Canon.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

I have one of those....it fits into the pocket of the PFD (Personal Flotation Device, not a typo of PDF)... My first shots of it were underwater.... Take a deep breath, roll over in the kayak... Snap a picture, and roll up again.... Try that with a DSLR!

I'd like to see that shot! Got it online somewhere?
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2013, 11:28:44 PM »
Well let's summarize the DPR forum troll-style complaints for this new body:

1. "only" 20MP, the D7100 w/ 24MP beats it! :P
2. "only" 1 card slot, and an SD slot at that, the D7100 has 2!
3. "only" 7FPS, it "won't replace my 7D"
4. only WiFi, no GPS onboard (despite D7100 not having both)
5. still appears to have an AA LPF on the sensor, the D7100 already doesn't have one!
6. no 100% VF coverage, the D7100 has it
7. "only" 19 AF pts. compared to 51 for the D7100, despite having more cross-type (19 vs. 15)
8. no f/8-capable AF center pt., unlike the D7100
9. prolly has no AFMA, dual-axis electronic level (maybe single-axis like the 6D/60D), crippled FW, etc.
10. and of course, for the band of 800% magnification pixel-peeping brothers, still has patterm banding and not as much DR as the Sony sensors, still no column-parallel ADC, yada-yada... :P
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2013, 11:34:42 PM »

I'd like to see that shot! Got it online somewhere?
Nope.... It was a very poor shot... I had it aimed wrong and ended up with blurry pictures of yellow hull.  I have since had many nice pics from it.... And now both Canon and Nikon have equivalent cameras, but at that point in time, Olympus was the only real choice for a tough and underwater p/s
The best camera is the one in your hands

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #309 on: July 01, 2013, 12:05:31 AM »
Well let's summarize the DPR forum troll-style complaints for this new body:

1. "only" 20MP, the D7100 w/ 24MP beats it! :P
2. "only" 1 card slot, and an SD slot at that, the D7100 has 2!
3. "only" 7FPS, it "won't replace my 7D"
4. only WiFi, no GPS onboard (despite D7100 not having both)
5. still appears to have an AA LPF on the sensor, the D7100 already doesn't have one!
6. no 100% VF coverage, the D7100 has it
7. "only" 19 AF pts. compared to 51 for the D7100, despite having more cross-type (19 vs. 15)
8. no f/8-capable AF center pt., unlike the D7100
9. prolly has no AFMA, dual-axis electronic level (maybe single-axis like the 6D/60D), crippled FW, etc.
10. and of course, for the band of 800% magnification pixel-peeping brothers, still has patterm banding and not as much DR as the Sony sensors, still no column-parallel ADC, yada-yada... :P

LOL

I would have to say, the only *puzzling* feature to me is the inclusion of WiFi. I understand the value of WiFi for professional photographers who regularly tether their cameras and the like. I find GPS to be a much more useful consumer/prosumer feature than WiFi. Given the 70D's placement, that's the only feature that puzzles me. I am certainly not complaining about it...its an extra feature, can't complain about that. But it is a puzzling one...
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2013, 02:08:09 AM »
I find GPS to be a much more useful consumer/prosumer feature than WiFi.

In-camera wifi might be convenient, but has these disadvantages vs. a $50 dedicated gps logger:

* drains camera power, you might even forget to turn it off
* much(!) less precise / updates pos. much more seldom
* not always in the best signal position (you can put a small tagger in your breast pocket, ...)
* camera is larger than a logger: if you want to do travel logs you always have to carry your camera around
* no wayfinder/geocaching mode (you cannot set coordinates and let the logger guide you)
* no a-gps (camera needs longer to find the satellites).

The one disadvantage of the gps logger that you have to attach the track log to your pictures afterwards, but this is done with one click in Lightroom or other apps. For me, in-camera gps is a gadget I could really do without.

SenorClean

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2013, 02:14:31 AM »
The one disadvantage of the gps logger that you have to attach the track log to your pictures afterwards, but this is done with one click in Lightroom or other apps. For me, in-camera gps is a gadget I could really do without.

Same for me - I have a Holux 1000c for logging if I could be bothered.  One other disadvantage though - you can forget the logger (as I did on a round-the-world trip last year)!  But then I just used my phone/tablet.

I think I may have a tough decision coming up between the 70D and the 6D... well and truely overdue to replace my 450D but I couldn't bring myself to buy something with the retro 18MPixel sensor and spend my cash on glass instead.

sarakoth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »
I think I may have a tough decision coming up between the 70D and the 6D... well and truely overdue to replace my 450D but I couldn't bring myself to buy something with the retro 18MPixel sensor and spend my cash on glass instead.

Same prob I have from a 500D... 6D AF has me scared, plus havign to buy some FF lenses, though the IQ is more than enough, but unless this is truly a new sensor, I dont think the high ISO performance will be enough to choose the 70D. So as usual it will be FF IQ versus Crop quality but with more options, better AF, etc (for my price range).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 01, 2013, 03:54:08 AM »

In-camera wifi might be convenient, but has these disadvantages vs. a $50 dedicated gps logger:

I assume you mean in-camera GPS.  Now I'll give the counterpoint for each point.

* drains camera power, you might even forget to turn it off

Requires a separate power source.  You might even forget to turn it on, charge it, or replace the batteries, then find out that you have no location data for any of your pictures at the end of the day.  By contrast, most people carry more than one camera battery, and believe me, if you're taking pictures, you notice when it runs down.  :)

There's absolutely no reason why this should be the case.  In fact, if anything, the reverse should be true.  The camera should query the GPS for its actual position when you take a shot, and should only use a stale position if it doesn't have a valid signal.  So using any sort of track log is much less precise than proper in-camera GPS.  The only situations where that is not true is when you're indoors in a location where a large GPS unit with a large antenna happens to be able to get a signal where the camera's GPS can't.  But even then, you're only as accurate as the interval between samples allows, which means it might be more precise, but it might also be less precise.

* not always in the best signal position (you can put a small tagger in your breast pocket, ...)

If anything, that's a worse location.  Your body soaks up signals.  The farther away from that bag of meat, the better.

* camera is larger than a logger: if you want to do travel logs you always have to carry your camera around

A GPS logger is one extra device.  Chances are, you're going to have your camera with you anyway.  And if you really just want a log of where you're going rather than where you took specific photos, chances are, your smartphone also has GPS and can do the logging without the need for carrying yet another device.

* no wayfinder/geocaching mode (you cannot set coordinates and let the logger guide you)

Typically, the GPS receivers people use with cameras are tiny devices whose UI consists of little more than a switch to change the sampling interval, a slot to stick a flash card into, and a power switch.  They don't even have a screen, so they're no more useful than the in-body GPS.  But at least the in-body GPS *could* be adapted to do those things with a firmware change.  An external logger without a screen can't readily be modified to do that at all.

Besides, again, you probably have a smartphone, and it can probably do all those things.  The purpose for GPS in a camera is to tag photos.  Anything more than that and you're probably just duplicating functionality that the user already has in a more appropriate form factor (phone).

* no a-gps (camera needs longer to find the satellites).

aGPS is certainly an interesting technology, and certainly useful, but in practice, the reason it matters in smartphones doesn't apply to GPS devices that are solely used for cameras.  It's important for smartphones because the satellites transmit data very slowly.  For a device to get a GPS fix, it requires a critical piece of data, the ephemeris, which tells where the satellites are in the sky.  It takes half a minute to stream that data via GPS satellites.  aGPS can cut this so-called "warm fix" down to a couple of seconds by fetching that data over the cellular network.

In the context of a phone, the difference is critical because nobody wants to sit there waiting for half a minute waiting for their phone to show where they are.  With a camera, however, you usually switch it on at the start of the day, and GPS remains active through the day (unlike a phone, where the receiver is active only when in use).  Therefore, after that first thirty seconds, the only time the camera needs to re-acquire the ephemeris data is when GPS has been shut off for more than four hours since it last received GPS data...  and possibly when you switch batteries, if it doesn't persist that data across battery swaps.

Thus, unless you're very rarely taking pictures, the warm fix time affects you once per day, and only if you don't power up the camera until just before you take your first shot of the day.  After that initial warm fix, every acquisition should be a "hot" fix, which means that it should take about as long as it takes you to move your thumb from the power switch and pull the camera up to your eye, give or take a second.

The bigger disadvantage is that it has no idea when you actually took a picture, so you have to choose a query interval that trades battery life for accuracy or vice versa.  And it's another device to forget to charge, to forget to turn on, to forget to put new batteries in, etc.  Also, you have to regularly synchronize the camera's clock to the GPS receiver or you're in for a world of hurt.

In short, the external devices are a significant hassle compared with in-body GPS, with no real benefits unless you are using a full-blown GPS receiver with a screen, you want to use it for some non-geotagging purpose, and you do not already own a smartphone or other handheld GPS device.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 01, 2013, 04:12:14 AM »

There's absolutely no reason why this should be the case.  In fact, if anything, the reverse should be true.  The camera should query the GPS for its actual position when you take a shot, and should only use a stale position if it doesn't have a valid signal.  So using any sort of track log is much less precise than proper in-camera GPS.  The only situations where that is not true is when you're indoors in a location where a large GPS unit with a large antenna happens to be able to get a signal where the camera's GPS can't.  But even then, you're only as accurate as the interval between samples allows, which means it might be more precise, but it might also be less precise.

Actually, the inbuilt GPS on the 6D tags the GPS location based on the most recent reading taken. You can set the interval at which you want to take the GPS readings - the default setting is 15 seconds.

It may be worth noting that the precision of the GPS is within a range of 30m and it doesn't provide any directional data.
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #314 on: July 01, 2013, 04:12:14 AM »