October 01, 2014, 11:08:00 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]  (Read 73893 times)

boateggs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]
« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:12 AM »
I think I may have a tough decision coming up between the 70D and the 6D... well and truely overdue to replace my 450D but I couldn't bring myself to buy something with the retro 18MPixel sensor and spend my cash on glass instead.

Same prob I have from a 500D... 6D AF has me scared, plus havign to buy some FF lenses, though the IQ is more than enough, but unless this is truly a new sensor, I dont think the high ISO performance will be enough to choose the 70D. So as usual it will be FF IQ versus Crop quality but with more options, better AF, etc (for my price range).

Same here, although the 6D AF is roughly what I am used to (only use center point now). Ill get both probably as I want one camera that does it all but I need 2 so SWMBO can use the other and dont want to spend the value of a kidney on a hobby for my girl and I. It is just a matter of what I want first: low light or action and speed
T3i | 15-85mm | 70-300mm L | ∑ 30mm | ∑ 50mm | 430exII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:12 AM »

Paramike

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #316 on: July 01, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »
This looks pretty good to me!  It would be nice to have an idea of when we could expect the 7DII as well, as I've been saving towards that rather than this.

Having said that, either one of them will blow my 400D away and I'm intrigued how my photography might change with all the gizmo's that these more modern cameras offer.

Here's looking forward to tomorrow!
Canon 400D (Soon to be Canon 70D!), Canon EF100-400mm, Canon EF 50mm F/1.8, Sigma 10-200mm, Canon 18-55mm (Soon to be Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5/6 IS STM!)

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2013, 05:42:14 AM »
To me, this spec list looks very nice. Pixel count is ok, FPS are higher that what I expected, also the 19 all cross type AF, WiFi is an important feature, I can live without GPS (it is so easy to add GPS Data with a smartphone).
What I am missing in the speclist is the size of the viewfinder and the memorycard type (I think it will be one SD slot; which is okay)
And the biggest question to me is the sensor, is it only a blown up version of the 18MP we all know, or is it a completly new design (hopefully so). I do not expect that we will hear that tomorow, but DXO will soon show us how good the sensor is.

yogi

« Reply #318 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »
B&H photo lists the 7d for $1299 after a $200 instant savings. ...i am wondering how many might consider the 7d over the 70d if there is not much difference in price.

I asked this question in reply #85. Love my 7D

Sorry. Didnt read the whole thread. Call me lazy.  :-[

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2013, 06:57:17 AM »
Sorry. Didnt read the whole thread. Call me lazy.  :-[

It is good practice only to read the last 1-2 posts, then reply, why else would we be able to generate record-long threads repeating the same arguments all over :-p ? ... especially important: Never try to use search, just ask away "Is IS useful on the 100L" or "Is the 16-35L better than the 17-40L?" :->

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
Concerning gps: I disagree, and here are my reasons, but as always I'm open to being convinced otherwise :-)

But first off: I've got nothing against built-in gps if it's thrown in there for free, but as it stands it's likely it's used as a marketing item and adds the same amount or more $$$ then an external logger.

* drains camera power, you might even forget to turn it off
Requires a separate power source.

I'm also a big fan of replaceable batteries, but my logger really logs 24h, so I never found that limiting. I also admit I rather like dedicated devices than the all in one stuff because specialized devices are usually better at what they do, and it minimizes risk because of damage/theft/powerloss ... of course that's really a personal preference.

* much(!) less precise / updates pos. much more seldom
There's absolutely no reason why this should be the case.  In fact, if anything, the reverse should be true.  The camera should query the GPS for its actual position when you take a shot

In theory, yes. But do you think the 6d takes the signal on every shot? Hardly, like other embedded gps devices it's build for power saving rather than precision, in real life the logging frequency of a dedicated logger in the trunk can be so high you can get a precise log of a fast moving car.

* not always in the best signal position (you can put a small tagger in your breast pocket, ...)
If anything, that's a worse location.  Your body soaks up signals.  The farther away from that bag of meat, the better.

I found it works nicely if you move around, it was just an example - and in any case it will be better than a camera stashed away in my bicycle bag under layers of protection.

* camera is larger than a logger: if you want to do travel logs you always have to carry your camera around
A GPS logger is one extra device.  Chances are, you're going to have your camera with you anyway.  And if you really just want a log of where you're going rather than where you took specific photos, chances are, your smartphone also has GPS and can do the logging without the need for carrying yet another device.

A smartphone is also a dedicated device, I don't have one :-p and my last non-smart phone's gps performance as very bad for example when exploring and crawling though former ussr barracks around Berlin. Plus a smartphone's gps also drains power from the non-replaceable battery as you argued above that's why I like to keep devices separate.

* no wayfinder/geocaching mode (you cannot set coordinates and let the logger guide you)
But at least the in-body GPS *could* be adapted to do those things with a firmware change.  An external logger without a screen can't readily be modified to do that at all.

I already requested a gps geocaching mode for Magic Lantern, I hope they do it sometime. And my $50 gps logger *has* a screen, that's why I bought it, so I can enter coordinates and find my way.

* no a-gps (camera needs longer to find the satellites).
aGPS can cut this so-called "warm fix" down to a couple of seconds by fetching that data over the cellular network.

Nope, on better non-smartphone loggers with a-gps you can also upload this data from the pc for the next months or so thus severely shortening the fix time when it's cloudy.

Thus, unless you're very rarely taking pictures, the warm fix time affects you once per day, and only if you don't power up the camera until just before you take your first shot of the day.  After that initial warm fix, every acquisition should be a "hot" fix, which means that it should take about as long as it takes you to move your thumb from the power switch and pull the camera up to your eye, give or take a second.

Amen. I didn't try the 6d gps and I hope it works this way... but at least my last phone traded precision for power saving, but maybe today's gps chips are more advanced.

The one disadvantage of the gps logger that you have to attach the track log to your pictures afterwards, but this is done with one click in Lightroom or other apps. For me, in-camera gps is a gadget I could really do without.
The bigger disadvantage is that it has no idea when you actually took a picture, so you have to choose a query interval that trades battery life for accuracy or vice versa.

My 24h gps logger is set for 5sec interval, I never move more than the gps' precision in 5sec, and if I would I could set it to 1sec with very little more power drain if the signal is strong. As I wrote above, I doubt the 6d gets an extra satellite fix right after every shutter release (or does it?). Even if so, the interpolation between 5sec logging intervals will be still more precise than the gps fuzz.

Also, you have to regularly synchronize the camera's clock to the GPS receiver or you're in for a world of hurt.

Your camera clock should be so precise so that's not often necessary...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:23:32 AM by Marsu42 »

xylus

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:40 AM »
All I wanted an APS-C  sensor that can deliver decent result upto 6400 ISO and have a focusing system at least same as that 10yrs old 1D MkII.......within 1500$...am I asking too much?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:40 AM »

schmidtfilme

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • 35photo
« Reply #322 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »
Before I make any decision I will wait for the 7D M2. I am not in a hurry. I would have loved GPS and wonder why this is missing. Well, still just a rumor....
5D Mark III
17-40/24-105/70-200 all f4

pato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 01, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
Maybe it got built-in flash as a trade to the GPS? :) I really wonder how good the ISO performance will be, that is what currently limits me the most on my 550D.

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
Concerning gps: I disagree, and here are my reasons, but as always I'm open to being convinced otherwise :-)

But first off: I've got nothing against built-in gps if it's thrown in there for free, but as it stands it's likely it's used as a marketing item and adds the same amount or more $$$ then an external logger.

If it does, it's because they're choosing to sell it that way.  The actual cost is orders of magnitude less, because 95% of the cost of an external logger comes for free when put in-body—no battery, no case, no additional CPU.  All you have is a GPS chip that costs maybe a buck or two, an antenna that costs maybe a buck or two, and possibly a slightly larger logic board to hold the extra chip, for a grand total cost of maybe $3–5.

* much(!) less precise / updates pos. much more seldom
There's absolutely no reason why this should be the case.  In fact, if anything, the reverse should be true.  The camera should query the GPS for its actual position when you take a shot

In theory, yes. But do you think the 6d takes the signal on every shot?

Hardly, like other embedded gps devices it's build for power saving rather than precision, in real life the logging frequency of a dedicated logger in the trunk can be so high you can get a precise log of a fast moving car.

From a power perspective, I'd expect a track log to be worse on the average because the GPS has to be brought back up to an active state regularly even when you aren't shooting photos.  The cost to ask for another reading is basically zero while the chip is up and running.  But that probably depends on the workload.

In an ideal world, a device like this would switch into track log mode if you shoot a picture and it has no signal, and should then apply the first position to any photos taken while the signal was unavailable.  This would still require less power than continuous track logging, but would eliminate the most obvious issue with taking a measurement when you click the shutter.

* no a-gps (camera needs longer to find the satellites).
aGPS can cut this so-called "warm fix" down to a couple of seconds by fetching that data over the cellular network.

Nope, on better non-smartphone loggers with a-gps you can also upload this data from the pc for the next months or so thus severely shortening the fix time when it's cloudy.

With the caveat that if they have to make an emergency position correction on a satellite to avoid hitting a piece of space junk, your computed location could be off by hundreds of miles.  There's a reason they only guarantee the ephemeris to be accurate for 4 hours.  :)

Thus, unless you're very rarely taking pictures, the warm fix time affects you once per day, and only if you don't power up the camera until just before you take your first shot of the day.  After that initial warm fix, every acquisition should be a "hot" fix, which means that it should take about as long as it takes you to move your thumb from the power switch and pull the camera up to your eye, give or take a second.

Amen. I didn't try the 6d gps and I hope it works this way... but at least my last phone traded precision for power saving, but maybe today's gps chips are more advanced.

The one disadvantage of the gps logger that you have to attach the track log to your pictures afterwards, but this is done with one click in Lightroom or other apps. For me, in-camera gps is a gadget I could really do without.
The bigger disadvantage is that it has no idea when you actually took a picture, so you have to choose a query interval that trades battery life for accuracy or vice versa.

Cell phones have much smaller batteries than your camera.  The iPhone 5, for example, has a battery capacity that's less than a third of a 6D's battery, and that's with not just Wi-Fi and GPS, but also a cellular radio.  :-)

Your camera clock should be so precise so that's not often necessary...

Digital clocks drift, on average, by something like five seconds per day.  In two weeks' shooting, that's an error of more than a minute.  Maybe the clock in recent Canon cameras is more precise than that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  :)

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #325 on: July 01, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
Buffer depth is really important for me...., I hope canon isn't doing like nikon did with the d7100, 6 raw files buffer dept :/

luciolepri

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lucio Lepri - Director and script writer
« Reply #326 on: July 01, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
I'm afraid 20.2 MP means moiré issues...

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
Any word on AFMA? It's a non-starter for me without it.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #327 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 01, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
Any word on AFMA? It's a non-starter for me without it.

I'm guessing we'll know in a few hours?

seasamshoot

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2013, 07:04:54 PM »
Anyone else feel like Stephen Colbert when a new Apple Product launches. All I am thinking about is "GIVE IT TO ME!! I WANT!"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2013, 07:04:54 PM »