October 23, 2014, 02:59:58 AM

Author Topic: According to NL 5Diii is a late 2012 camera at the very earliest  (Read 15660 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
"We've had another comment (thanks) suggesting that 5D3 development was seriously hampered by the events in Japan earlier this year, and that efforts were concentrated on the 1Ds3 replacement - any 5D3 is unlikely to ship before the end of 2012 at the very earliest. "

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: According to NL 5Diii is a late 2012 camera at the very earliest
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »
Another very good news in favor of a 1Ds replacement. I hope that the earthquake will not have hampered the quality of the new 1Ds...

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
5D3 is unlikely to ship before the end of 2012 at the very earliest.

I think it is too dramatically phrased, I would say it is the latest, not earliest.

What makes timing estimates more complex is competition, even from Canon viewpoint (meaning even they have no precise idea but rather estimates). They most certainly have some sort of answer ready when forced by the competition.

mbiedermann

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
Agreed - That rumor smells to me as coming from someone playing games with us poor souls longing for the 5D3.  There is no way the 5D3 will be as delayed as end of 2012…

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
Agreed - That rumor smells to me as coming from someone playing games with us poor souls longing for the 5D3.  There is no way the 5D3 will be as delayed as end of 2012…

A rumor is just that... a rumor.  But, at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.  I remember this time last year and "rumors" were telling us the 5D3 would be available in December of 2010.  Look at where we are now, nearly a year later, and no official announcements.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »

poor souls...nay...while my 30D gently clicks...but curious about high iso abilities and focus system...whenever it may hit the street, I'll let it walk about 18 month into its product cycle reading early adopters reports...meanwhile the price tag will get a bit lower as well ;-)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
There is no way the 5D3 will be as delayed as end of 2012…

Now, that statement smells to me as coming from some poor soul longing for a 5DIII.

I have never bought into the idea that Canon will release a 5DIII before a 1DsIV.  The latter is older, more in need of an upgrade, and will likely be released first.  If (a big IF) we se an announcement for a 1DsIV coming out soon, that puts the 1Ds line on a 4-year replacement, so if that gap trickles down to the 5D line, late 2012 makes perfect sense.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
Let see, Sony is set to release some very good Cameras according to early tests of their cheapo $600 camera,

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3784/nex-5n-demolishes-ep-3-at-high-isos-even-beats-5d-mk-ii-nikon-d7000

and Nikon is set to release some new full frame DSLRs soon. Canon has to react.

Remember, Canon won't lose the users who are heavily vested in equipment (like myself). What they will lose are all the newbies and future pros. Once you start investing in a system, there will be no going back. And if there is a 1 1/4 year lag time till the next 5D3, that's a lot of newbies going to Sony and Nikon for a lifetime of usage.

I seriously doubt Canon will wait that long. Many people will be pissed off, including myself. The only person that will be happy is Neuromancer.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »
Remember, Canon won't lose the users who are heavily vested in equipment (like myself). What they will lose are all the newbies...

I seriously doubt Canon will wait that long. Many people will be pissed off, including myself. The only person that will be happy is Neuromancer.

How many newbies jump right into a FF dSLR?  Even if we see neither a 1DsIV nor a 5DIII this year or early next, I know we'll still see a T4i/650D in 1Q2012.  The Rebel line pays Canon's bills.

Why get pissed off?  Does the gear you have right now suck so bad that you are desparate for a replacement?  My 7D and 5DII still take good pictures.  Yes, I've got a wad of cash just waiting for a 1DsIV...but until one is available, I'll keep happily clicking away, thank you very much.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
The only person that will be happy is Neuromancer.

That's not an entirely fair assessment of his statements.

Besides the satisfaction of making a correct prediction, I doubt that delay would make anyone actually happy.  I think that he is making a very realistic, though slightly pessimistic, prediction.  He also has sound logic to back up that prediction.

That being said...  God I hope he's wrong!  I want a 5D3 to be released SO badly, enough that it probably clouds my objectivity in evaluating rumors, greatly favoring my desires over reality.

Rincewind

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »
Well I for one am desperate for it to come out now, not that I will buy it immediately. By about May next year it will have good availability and the price has found its level.  That is when I want to buy a new camera.  You can see from my sorry little footer below and a short thread from a few weeks ago about hot pixels that my old kit is getting rather long in the tooth.  Some of us are holding out desperately for this camera...

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »
All the Facts we have:
1. The first 5D was replaced after 3 years.
2. Dude, That was like 3 years ago!
3. There was a catastrophe in Japan the like of which we have not seen before.

So, Is it possible: "According to NL 5Diii is a late 2012 camera at the very earliest"  Yes.  In fact we can say for absolute certain it will be before, during, or after late 2012.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »
There is no way the 5D3 will be as delayed as end of 2012…

Now, that statement smells to me as coming from some poor soul longing for a 5DIII.

I have never bought into the idea that Canon will release a 5DIII before a 1DsIV.  The latter is older, more in need of an upgrade, and will likely be released first.  If (a big IF) we se an announcement for a 1DsIV coming out soon, that puts the 1Ds line on a 4-year replacement, so if that gap trickles down to the 5D line, late 2012 makes perfect sense.

But that makes too much logical sense for CEO's and big wigs at Canon (or any other company for that matter) to go by... What they care about is market share/money coming in (profits)/and reputation.  The 5d is a better seller and will sell more than the 1d's and will have a higher return on investment hence the profit and market share portions of the formula... The 1d's are all about prestige and reputation... I dont think Canon at all sits back, in this economy and says (this is older so we will replace this first)... it's about what will give us the biggest volume of sales and is more profitable... Hence why rebels are upgraded yearly and pro cameras not..
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 01:05:21 PM »
But that makes too much logical sense for CEO's and big wigs at Canon (or any other company for that matter) to go by... What they care about is market share/money coming in (profits)/and reputation.  The 5d is a better seller and will sell more than the 1d's and will have a higher return on investment hence the profit and market share portions of the formula... The 1d's are all about prestige and reputation... I dont think Canon at all sits back, in this economy and says (this is older so we will replace this first)... it's about what will give us the biggest volume of sales and is more profitable... Hence why rebels are upgraded yearly and pro cameras not..

Agreed - but Canon can point to current sales figures for the 5DII that are still quite high.  On Amazon.com, the 5DII is the best selling full frame dSLR, and the 19th best-selling dSLR on their top-100 list (next highest FF is the Nikon D700 at #30).  Gene_can_warble frequently begs us to stop buying 5DII's so Canon will release a 5DIII, and while I don't think that Canon has the 5DIII wrapped up with a bow and ready to ship tomorrow, he's right that sales of the 5DII are still strong - perhaps strong enough to deflate the urgency of releasing a 5DIII. 

TAR

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »
it is just a matter of time , all depends on nikon d700 replacement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »