October 01, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon France Denies Large Sensor Compacts  (Read 7180 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon France Denies Large Sensor Compacts
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
From Canon France
The fine people at Canon France sent me a tweet explaining yesterdays mention about large sensor compacts. Their reasoning seems reasonable, however it appears they’ve been migrating their web site for 6 months or so. Hopefully they aren’t paying the folks in charge of that by the hour.

I have talked to a few other sources, and none of them had heard anything as of yet about a cool big sensor compact.

canonfrance

One more thing…. Canon is not overly happy with us at the moment, especially one specific country (not France). However, nothing we do here is about being malicious or to hurt anyone. As such, we apologize to anyone that may have been affected in a negative way by yesterdays posts.

Canon France on Twitter

cr

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:53:10 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon France Denies Large Sensor Compacts
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon France Denies Large Sensor Compacts
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
Sorry about the heat you're getting right now, Craig, we (the enthusiasts) appreciate the service you provide.  Somehow I don't believe the outdated excuse, the last compact APS (March 2002) or 35mm compact camera (April 2005) Canon made was long before consumer camcorders were segmented into "SD" and "HD".  Other than that, the emoticon says it all.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
Their comment doesn't seem to be dissatisfied with canon rumors?, Unless the abbreviation RT means something special?

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
It is absolutely ludicrous that Canon would ever be "not happy" with you.  The readers on this forum are Canon's core customer base for DSLR and high-end photo gear.  Everyone knows the P&S market is declining, so if they want to keep selling cameras, they should be courting US.  Listening to all of the free R&D/focus group feedback we put in on a daily basis.  Announcing roadmaps (for something other than a $12k pro wildlife zoom lens) so we can plan our financial investments.

If they aren't happy, it must be because they (1) don't have any large-sensor compacts to sell, or (2) they thought they were going to surprise the world (gasp) when they did announce one.  I would suggest they worry more about pushing out new products and firmware/feature updates for existing products. 

And while I'm grumping, how about some consistency in the refurb store!
Canon 6d, t1i, 24-70/4L, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
I amended the post, it's a different country than France. :)
canonrumors.com

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »
It appears their web developers have got a pay rise, as they were very efficient in removing the offending material. You will notice Compact APS and 24x36 have now disappeared.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
One more thing…. Canon is not overly happy with us at the moment

Good, so they do acknowledge this site's existence.  Maybe this site's members' voices are being heard.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »

LukieLauXD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »
Canon is not overly happy with us at the moment, especially one specific country (not France).

It's ok, it's only France. No harm no foul.

hmmm

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
Me2, CR guy: thanks for taking the heat.

To Canon: It's understandable that you are irked by spoilers -- you invest a lot in rolling out new product.
However...

2 points:
1) Consider it a part of a guerrilla marketing campaign.  This preview is generating lots of internet buzz.   Roll with it.

2) It's when people stop caring a flying fig about what your next product is going to be that you really need to worry!

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
to those who think that canon is upset about the large sensor compact post I would suggest that they're probably upset about the 70 post.

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
Well, you're always gonna ruffle some feathers when you piss on people's parades for a living.

Comes with the territory.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
One more thing…

Heh. I bet it's Canon USA and their lawyers.
Not happy that CanonRumors basically pre-announced the 70D.
CanonRumors is doing free PR for Canon, basically, but I guess pre-announcements are not cool - although it makes us, readers, happy.
Great job on the flyer yesterday! Congrats.

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
One more thing…

Heh. I bet it's Canon USA and their lawyers.
Not happy that CanonRumors basically pre-announced the 70D.
CanonRumors is doing free PR for Canon, basically, but I guess pre-announcements are not cool - although it makes us, readers, happy.
Great job on the flyer yesterday! Congrats.

CR isn't the only one with the "leak", if Canon's upset at something like that then it's them that need to work on preventing information from getting out. Which, obviously is impossible in this day and age, so in the end, need to realize one can't press charges against the reality of the modern world...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »

photosites

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
I believe the comments and feedback Canon got from a 'leak' like this would beat any of those "take two minutes to complete this survey and stand a chance to win XXX" type of market survey.

Rather than sulk or reproach, Canon should really make use of all the information they can gather from this episode. It is safe to surmise that people are excited with large sensor compacts. Now if only the G1X could have  better macro capability, trim its waistline and operate a little faster, I would definitely buy one.

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »

Canon is not overly happy with us at the moment, especially one specific country (not France). However, nothing we do here is about being malicious or to hurt anyone. As such, we apologize to anyone that may have been affected in a negative way by yesterdays posts.

Tell them to get in line behind my wife, who was not overly amused when I told her that I found what my next camera was going to be (referring to the 70D). I'm much more worried about her than a large, multinational company to whom I voluntarily give money.
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »