July 31, 2014, 04:55:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon France Denies Large Sensor Compacts  (Read 6657 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon France Denies Large Sensor Compacts
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »

As such, we apologize to anyone that may have been affected in a negative way by yesterdays posts.

I don't understand this. Who are you apologizing to? and why?

Who in god's name would have been affected in a negative way?

Rumors are par for the course and happen everywhere - Government leaks, Fed minutes, you name it ... why the hell is Canon acting up? Canon should either shut up or take care of the "sources" ... that said, they've made everyone wait long enough for the 7D2/70D.
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
Maybe CR is apologizing because CR wants to remain on Canon's internally-approved list for 'accidental' leaks...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
... Canon's internally-approved list ...

he he ... good one Neuro!
Light is language!

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »
Maybe someone at Canon or at a Canon dealer or distributor got dinged ...

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 02:30:24 PM »
As such, we apologize to anyone that may have been affected in a negative way by yesterdays posts.

Well it's certainly possible that someone lost a job over it, which obviously would not be CR's intent and worth apologizing for.  Not saying that anyone SHOULD have lost their jobs, but I know there's plenty of lousy management looking to place blame (for how the leak got out) that such things do happen.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
So the leaked 70D camera spec which has overall (for once) received rather positive comment on this fine site incurs the displeasure of Canon where as the volume of negative comments about other product yields no comment? mmmmmmm bless their little cotton socks, ya gotta love them.

There is a rather good Glasgow saying which would be appropriate…… perhaps not  ;D

As for loosing jobs I’m sure we can all think of a whole department at Canon that needs looking at!

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »

Well it's certainly possible that someone lost a job over it, which obviously would not be CR's intent and worth apologizing for.  Not saying that anyone SHOULD have lost their jobs, but I know there's plenty of lousy management looking to place blame (for how the leak got out) that such things do happen.

I hope that's not what happened, but if it wasn't part of a buzz plan, I'm sure someone at least got raked over the coals, and it could very well be a "resume altering event".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »

tdodd

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
Yesterday I completed an online questionnaire for Canon. It focused on cameras for the most part, rather than lenses and other aspects of photography such as printers etc., but the tone drifted off in the latter pages to show a lot of interest in the compact camera arena. Since they asked, I said that I hated my current compact (Fuji F100fd) and that the thing of most interest to me right now would be the Sony RX100 II. Actually, if I could have been bothered to extend my thesis further I might have mentioned the Ricoh GR as well, but they'd had enough out of me by then.

No smoke without fire, methinks. They're definitely asking the questions.

LDS

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
Oh well, here in Italy Canon is selling an "astrological" camera!

http://www.canon.it/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/index.aspx

Probably it calculates horoscopes of the people you portrait...  ;D (the correct wording in Italian is "fotografia astronomica", not "astrologica", or "astrofotografia")
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:25:32 PM by LDS »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »
I feel for Canon. I do hope that they do not do a Google image search for "canon 70D", or even "canon 3D", I can't even imagine how unhappy they would be then. Horror of horrors. :o ::) 8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:10:15 PM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

skfla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
It is absolutely ludicrous that Canon would ever be "not happy" with you.  The readers on this forum are Canon's core customer base for DSLR and high-end photo gear.  Everyone knows the P&S market is declining, so if they want to keep selling cameras, they should be courting US.  Listening to all of the free R&D/focus group feedback we put in on a daily basis.  Announcing roadmaps (for something other than a $12k pro wildlife zoom lens) so we can plan our financial investments.

If they aren't happy, it must be because they (1) don't have any large-sensor compacts to sell, or (2) they thought they were going to surprise the world (gasp) when they did announce one.  I would suggest they worry more about pushing out new products and firmware/feature updates for existing products. 

And while I'm grumping, how about some consistency in the refurb store!

+10(emphasis above is mine). Perhaps there are no large-sensor compacts coming & there is only the 70D-we'll know in a few weeks.  If this is the case, they could be mad over this new conjecture stealing some of the thunder of the 70D finally being annouced/released but jesus, can they come to grips with the fact that they can't control all the internet discussions?  If this site, along with a few others, start to discuss only company approved information why bother??
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:17:41 AM by skfla »
still a 5D2 fan

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »
I only hope, Canon will soon present a real new sensor tech far below the 500nm, see below:

"Just don't underestimate the IQ value of those big pixels. You won't get that kind of IQ in a crop body. Even if Canon has made some improvements, and I certainly hope they have (otherwise the 70D IQ will be worse than the 7D IQ), it is unlikely that their 20.2mp APS-C sensor will beat the 6D in terms of IQ. That holds true especially if they have not moved to a new fabrication process...if they stuck with 500nm, then the photodiode area for these pixels will be REALLY SMALL. It would have to be a BSI design in order to make it perform better than the 7D with 500nm transistors (which isn't out of the realm of possibility...just still too early to make the decision to sell a 6D and jump the FF ship just yet, IMO.)"
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15594.msg285481#msg285481
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

eric_ykchan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »
I'm not happy with Canon's delay and delay and delay either  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »