May 30, 2016, 09:05:54 AM

Author Topic: Chicago Sun-Times vs Chicago Tribune Blackhawks front page coverage  (Read 2886 times)

Drizzt321

• 1D X Mark II
    • Aaron Baff Photography
So remember how the Chicago Sun Times fired all their staff photographers and handed out iPhones? Well...here's the front page for the Sun-Times and the Tribune (called DarkTimes for some reason...). See if you can spot the differences here. Mike Pasini hits it right on the head.

http://suntimesdarktimes.tumblr.com/post/53967466726/front-pages-june-26-2013
http://www.mikepasini.com/corners/2013/06/28-stanley-cup.htm

P.S. I think we need a more general "photo stuff discussions" sub-forum somewhere...I'll put that under site suggestions.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

Zv

• 1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
Re: Chicago Sun-Times vs Chicago Tribune Blackhawks front page coverage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
Yeah the Tribune shot has captured the atmosphere and emotion. It's dynamic and captures your imagination. The Sun Times shot - well for one thing it's a tiny square box, it shows a guy carrying the cup or rather to me it looks like a man moving the cup from one location to another! It could be an ad for a removal company! There is no expression or feeling. I hope the Sun Times crashes and burns for their stupidity.
Move along nothing to see here!

Krob78

• 5DSR
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
Wow, like night and day!
Ken

5D Mark III, EOS M3, 100-400L II, 11-24L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70LIS, 17-40L, 16-35 4L, 600 EX-RT, 430EX-RT, 1.4X III, 2.0X II

distant.star

• 1D X Mark II
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
The Trib looks like the work of a pro photographer -- exactly the kind of shot you'd expect from a major newspaper. The other one looks like a high-school newspaper.

As I think back (a long way back, yes) I don't recall photos ever being discussed in J-Schools. Reporters focused on getting stories -- research, sources, leads, legal issues, correct writing, even headline writing. But photos never came up. Photos show up in the real world -- and only when you get to the copy editor or managing editor or news editor positions -- and then you're working with a photo editor. So, if they're trying to make photographers out of reporters, they may be unprepared and unsuited.

As I say, long time ago. Things have probably changed at least a little.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

SithTracy

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
I think this just represents the outrage people have on this story.  A photo is what draws you into a story on a newspaper.  That said, I boycotted the Sun Times, but I think that image is a fake and not actually what was printed.

Zv

• 1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:30:57 PM »
Some people like to keep important events as a momento or cut the pic out and keep it. Which one do u think they'll keep? They really didn't think this iPhone strategy through, did they? The image is what sells it. If I was to choose a newspaper I would just instictively go with the one with the most appealing picture. It's how we operate. Heck the entire advertising industry is based on that!
Move along nothing to see here!

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »
Spot on.  Personally I don't care for the photo on the right all that much, but it is 100x better than the alternative one. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »
Could the right photo have been done, or almost done, with an iPhone?  Not saying it was, just wondering how close any of you think a smartphone could get to that (assuming the person shooting it was the least bit skilled as a photographer).

I get your point that the problem is the photographers were fired, and thus non-photographers are now responsible for taking pictures.  I saw one of them interviewed on tv a couple of weeks ago.  He was very passionate about his work.

The problem is, newspapers pretty much everywhere are losing money.  Isn't the Sun-Times also?  Explains why they would fire employees such as photographers.  Then turn around and pretend they're being trendy by handing out iPhones to reporters...It's a shame the government can't do the same thing with their employees.  Fire 90% of them, then pay the remaining ones a one time salary in the form of a smartphone...with no service plan included.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »