September 20, 2014, 08:17:00 AM

Author Topic: Canon 70D Reaction  (Read 22159 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 70D Reaction
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
...My point is that the past is usually a good indicator to the future.  Canon likes to recycle its tech for generations.  Nikon, Fuji, etc., have surged ahead with their APS-C cameras...
This statement doesn't seem to have much relationship to reality.

You made a funny!  Tell me the biggest difference between the sensor in the T2i and T5i.  No relationship at all, right?

Let's see...there are xxxxD cameras, xxxD cameras, xxD cameras, 7D, 5-series, and 1-series cameras.  Of all those lines, how many have reused sensors?  One.  Not coincidentally, it's the only line refreshed annually.  Think consumers would pay the increased cost to fund development of a new sensor for the xxxD line every year?

Oh, and the T2i has phase detection on the CMOS sensor, right?   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
Let's see...there are xxxxD cameras, xxxD cameras, xxD cameras, 7D, 5-series, and 1-series cameras.  Of all those lines, how many have reused sensors?  One.  Not coincidentally, it's the only line refreshed annually.  Think consumers would pay the increased cost to fund development of a new sensor for the xxxD line every year?

Tell me with a straight face that you can tell meaningful performance differences of the sensor between those crop sensors.  If so, how?  Remember, keep the comments to meaningful rather than de minimus.  Tell me which does not look like cat barf at 1600 ISO.  Your 7D sure does and it is the best of the bunch.

My point was that there's no incentive for Canon to (really) update the sensor in a line that's updated every year.  Doing so would make no fiscal sense, for them. Reusing sensors does, and passing them down from higher lines to lower lines also makes fiscal sense.  They are having no problems selling the cameras using (and reusing) those sensors, and they're making a profit and gaining market share in a time when other companies are reporting losses and/or borrowing heavily.

Can you tell me with a straight face that you expect Canon to release a Rebel body with a truly new sensor every year?  Just to please you?  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »
Can you tell me with a straight face that you expect Canon to release a Rebel body with a truly new sensor every year?  Just to please you?  ::)
That would be great for consumers (well, at least short term), but bad for investors/share holders. Management probably wouldn't last long with the profits going down.

Strobe the globe

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 60D | 10-22mm, 18-200mm, 50mm | Speedlite 600EX-RT
    • View Profile
    • Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone for letting me know not to bother watching this video.

Excessive inappropriate language should not be allowed on this forum.

mycanonphotos

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24:22 PM »
I love Canon but......Wake me when the 7DII gets here....

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:36 PM »
...My point is that the past is usually a good indicator to the future.  Canon likes to recycle its tech for generations.  Nikon, Fuji, etc., have surged ahead with their APS-C cameras...
This statement doesn't seem to have much relationship to reality.

You made a funny!  Tell me the biggest difference between the sensor in the T2i and T5i.  No relationship at all, right?

I would respond, but Neuro has already done a more than sufficient job.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

M.ST

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »
No CF card, no new battery, no AF down to -2/-3 EV, old stupid 19 point AF system, small dial on the back = no 70D. Dual Pixel CMOS AF is fine, but the rest ...

Where is the 7D Mark II, the camera between the 5D Mark III and 1Dx or the 1D Xs?

Where is the G1 X replacement?

Where is a professional EOS M camera like the RX1?

Where is the 100-400 IS and 17-40 L replacement?

Where is the 14-24 2.8 L?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »

mycanonphotos

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37:17 AM »
No CF card, no new battery, no AF down to -2/-3 EV, old stupid 19 point AF system, small dial on the back = no 70D. Dual Pixel CMOS AF is fine, but the rest ...

Where is the 7D Mark II, the camera between the 5D Mark III and 1Dx or the 1D Xs?

Where is the G1 X replacement?

Where is a professional EOS M camera like the RX1?

Where is the 100-400 IS and 17-40 L replacement?

Where is the 14-24 2.8 L?

I hear you brother!

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2013, 02:10:05 AM »
Ignore that attention-starved guy and his click-bait video. And, oh, IBTL.  :P

Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2013, 04:03:32 AM »
I didn't look at the video. Sounds like a good call on my part, reading some of the posts. I found this on the Canon USA
site when I went there. I don't know how to let Canon Rumors admins in on this.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e0248093419a

So I guess it's official, the 70D is announced and will be available in September. I think it will be a good seller for Canon and a good camera to buy my wife as she is used to a swivel screen and shooting live view handheld on her Olympus C7070 wide zoom. 18-135 mm lens that I can use too, as she will be using some of my lenses and filters. I will have to get her to use the viewfinder when using the 70-200 F4 IS USM with the 1.4 Extender ll. 
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 04:55:34 AM »

Tell me with a straight face that you can tell meaningful performance differences of the sensor between those crop sensors.  If so, how?  Remember, keep the comments to meaningful rather than de minimus.  Tell me which does not look like cat barf at 1600 ISO.  Your 7D sure does and it is the best of the bunch.

My point was that there's no incentive for Canon to (really) update the sensor in a line that's updated every year.  Doing so would make no fiscal sense, for them. Reusing sensors does, and passing them down from higher lines to lower lines also makes fiscal sense.  They are having no problems selling the cameras using (and reusing) those sensors, and they're making a profit and gaining market share in a time when other companies are reporting losses and/or borrowing heavily.

No they shouldn't "just to please him". They should be improving sensor quality across their range because the competition and market warrants it. Even amateurs are more educated these days and are demanding better and better image quality and they are getting it. Canon is in the business of making imaging products and to continue to be successful in that market, they should be innovating and raising the bar across their entire product line. So HELL YES!, they should be making better products all the time. I buy Canon for three main reasons 1. No one has a better range of lenses that make any sense to me. 2. I love the ergonomics of their camera bodies (they just feel better in my hands) 3. Their interface is simple, easy-to-use and is virtually the same across their line so that you could pick up almost any Canon DSLR and feel at home rather quickly. Of course there are other innovations that I love like the 600EX-RT Flashes, but aforementioned are the main three. Canon has been lazy about developing sensor technology and could and should be investing more into it. I would say their best sensor (to date) is in the 1DX. That sensor just dominates noise at higher ISO levels. Love that beast of a camera! But I think that similar kind of performance should be trickling down throughout the entire range. Let's hope we'll see some of that with the new 70D.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 04:55:34 AM »