July 31, 2014, 11:56:17 AM

Author Topic: JOOOUUUUSSSST!  (Read 1940 times)

paul13walnut5

JOOOUUUUSSSST!
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
I am taking some pics of jousting tomorrow (historical reconstruction at Linlithgow Palace) purely for fun.

I got the call from CPS yesterday that my 7D has been rebuilt and some boards replaced and is ready to go, but I won't be able to collect it before tomorrow.

So my choices are to use my 600D / T3i, use my M, or just enjoy the day.

It would be a strength of my convictions to use the M I suppose, but I would use the T3i in OVF mode... so it's going to be better.  Probably Ai Servo, centre spot select..(I miss my 7D, the wee cross mode for surrounding points would have been brilliant here)  but should I shoot JPEG for speed and burst depth or RAW for quality (I miss my 7D which could do RAW and with depth)

Lens choice... Do I take my 100mm f2.0 to give the t3i's AF as much help as possible, or do I take my 70-200 which is a stop slower and has a longer slew...

What would you do?

I might just go and enjoy the day.

canon rumors FORUM

JOOOUUUUSSSST!
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: JOOOUUUUSSSST!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
use the 600D and take both lenses.  I don't think you'll see much difference in the AF speed between the two, but the 100 f/2 will be handy for situations where you can't drag the other monster around with you.

I'd switch back & forth between RAW & JPEG depending on the situation...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
In daylight, you should easily get the shutter speed you need with a f/4 lens.  I typically stopped down to f/11 and 1/250 second on a nice bright day.
The big issue is shadows and lighting.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
What would you do?

Any chance you could speak to CPS leaving out the "doing it for fun" part and ask if you could borrow a camera? Perhaps the 1DX to see what it is like before you make a purchase decision, preferably with a nice lens to go with it.

Good luck and enjoy.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »
What would you do?

Any chance you could speak to CPS leaving out the "doing it for fun" part and ask if you could borrow a camera? Perhaps the 1DX to see what it is like before you make a purchase decision, preferably with a nice lens to go with it.

Good luck and enjoy.

Yup, that's what I'd do. You don't ask, you don't get...
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
Take the M and spend most of your time enjoying the day.

If you feel compelled to get some pictures, take pictures of people enjoying the show. The combat may elicit some exciting emotions in the audience, especially if there are families there.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

paul13walnut5

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »
Took the 600D, got around half a dozen ok pics towards end, rain came on big time and I wasn't dressed for it, (me or camera)

Reckon I would have had double or triple the keepers to choose from with the 7D.  Might go again this weekend but take the 7D and my 100mm  f2.0.

Thanks for input folks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »