July 29, 2014, 12:05:48 PM

Author Topic: EOS 70D a New Benchmark in ISO Performance?  (Read 50180 times)

Jan Jasinski

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 70D a New Benchmark in ISO Performance?
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
a 70D doing better than 6D in ISO performance is all possible.
Just like a 6 cylinder car out doing a 8 cylinder car of the same engine capacity because they have new technology applied. but when then new tech is apply to the 8 cylinder engine it will over come again.

So APS-c do better than FF for a while, then FF improve again.
Why on earth would they make a 1200$ camera that outperforms the 6D? Then no one would buy the 6D because it would only be advantaged to having GPS. The 6D has benchmark ISO performance, currently the best on the market which is why it attracks so many low light shooters.
Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50 II | 70-200 f/4L | 400 f/5.6L
http://www.flickr.com/photos/janjasinski/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
Just like a 6 cylinder car out doing a 8 cylinder car of the same engine capacity because they have new technology applied. but when then new tech is apply to the 8 cylinder engine it will over come again.

2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »

That's taken by a 70D?  WOW!!!  ;D

dtaylor

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2013, 01:09:03 AM »

I hope the 70D improves upon Canon's current 18 MP sensor high ISO, but I have zero expectation that it would be better then the 6D in this respect. It is technologically possible for a crop sensor to out perform a FF one on high ISO. Just try any modern APS-C camera against the original 1Ds. But that's not going to happen within the same generation.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2013, 04:36:52 AM »
never mind that, who is the hipster in the hard hat?  Stick him on a fixie bike and it could be Bradley Wiggins with those side burns.

This is like one of those awful oil company promo pics of a driller in the artic clapping a polar bear to show they care.   But with ironic glasses.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2013, 06:32:33 AM »

no that is impossible from,  Canon have  then solved the earth's energy problems  if  a APS sensor has that kind of QE

That's correct. The good effect of all that is improvement across the whole field which will be applied in a hopefully much more advanced form in upcoming FF bodies.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:35:14 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »

no that is impossible from,  Canon have  then solved the earth's energy problems  if  a APS sensor has that kind of QE

That's correct. The good effect of all that is improvement across the whole field which will be applied in a hopefully much more advanced form in upcoming FF bodies.
And then we wake up  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2013, 05:35:06 AM »

look at whats going on here  http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se
 the new sensors  comes from the mobile camera research

"EV Group's GEMINI FB fusion wafer bonding platform is the de facto industry standard for CMOS image sensor production, and already leads the industry in wafer-to-wafer alignment accuracy due to our proprietary SmartView alignment technology," stated Dr. Thorsten Matthias, business development director at EV Group. "Measuring and mapping each die gives valuable insight into local stress variations created during upstream processes, which can cause distortions and local misalignments further downstream."

@ankorwatt: If my limited tech comprehension (even severe as a non-anglo) doesn't lead me off track, it is a similar process you were mentioning earlier. So I hope Canon are adjusting to this processes in their own fabrication procedures as well.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Tanja

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »

look at whats going on here  http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se
 the new sensors  comes from the mobile camera research

and while your spending half you life arguing about DR on internet forums others take great pictures with 6 year old cameras. :D

it´s sometimes so embarrasing to read gear focused photography websites.   8)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2013, 03:56:55 AM »
and while your spending half you life arguing about DR on internet forums others take great pictures with 6 year old cameras. :D

So? Nobody is disputing this, but this is not what this thread is about. Also with better gear you have more safety margin for critical situations, this isn't mutually exclusive that there were even good shots in the analog days or even in the old west with b/w pinhole cameras.

it´s sometimes so embarrasing to read gear focused photography websites.   8)

For me, the most creepy thing is seeing people who take the time read and post on tech forums flame other people doing the same thing basically arguing they should get a life ... it's not like anybody is forced to read any rumor thread if he/she isn't interested in speculating.

wsmith96

• 7D
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
This is like one of those awful oil company promo pics of a driller in the artic clapping a polar bear to show they care.

I'm not sure that giving a polar bear the clap is showing how someone cares   ;D
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »
Has Nikon awoken the slumbering beast that is Canon Inc? IDK, but I remember vividly when AMD Anthlon 64 was head and shoulders above Intel Pent.4 in performance... Then Intel released Conroe and AMD was like O_o O_o O_o....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:51:32 PM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »

Hardproducer

• Power Shot G16
  • Don't take me serious, I'm Dutch
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
If its totaly clean @ iso3200 i will be very happy!
It's the image of the image.

vscd

• EOS M2
  • 5DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »
I don't think that the 70D will be far better than the 60D. The better Chiptechnology will loose a lot of it's capabilities to the fact that the resolution is higher and the pixels are even smaller because the PhaseDetection-AF is next to the Lightsensor. On the papers from Canon the Pixels are about 50% of the former ones... I think we can be lucky if the 70D has a little bit more IQ than the 60D or 700D.

Do we really need more ISO? Infact Canon Sensors have great ISO-Specs. Canon should make other important improvement (better Dynamic Range, get rid of the Bayer-scheme and the AA-Filter etc.). Magic Lantern is more innovative lately than the mother Canon itself.
5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »