September 23, 2014, 10:53:55 AM

Author Topic: EOS 70D a New Benchmark in ISO Performance?  (Read 53007 times)

RGomezPhotos

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
Re: EOS 70D a New Benchmark in ISO Performance?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
Well, that ought to DRum up some DRead from the DRoll DRones who DRool over DR, and DRag many a forum thread down the DReary path of DRivel, DRaining into puddles of DRoss.

:D

;D

I can only imagine how awesome the big MP cam is going to be....
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »
Well, that ought to DRum up some DRead from the DRoll DRones who DRool over DR, and DRag many a forum thread down the DReary path of DRivel, DRaining into puddles of DRoss.

;D 8)

Very well put.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
I'm waiting for the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism Band of Banding-Hunting Brothers to mention that it has obvious pattern banding at +10stops DEC & +1000 fill-light, as confirmed by Professor Professorson, PhD E.E., when pixel-voyeured at 800%...

Lovely assessment.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
I want the RAW files to be as "RAW" as possible.

There are certain things (quite a few, actually) that really should be done to raw data before they are saved, including hot/dead pixel mapping, correlated double sampling, and ADC calibration.

Is the application chroma NR one of those things?  How about a median blur filter for long exposure shots?  ::)

No.  Black frame subtraction, but not either of those.

wsmith96

• 7D
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
I vote for just waiting to see the actual announcement and features list rather than speculating how we can take all of the features of canon's flagship cameras and stuff them into a consumer model for pennies on the dollar.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
I vote for just waiting to see the actual announcement and features list rather than speculating how we can take all of the features of canon's flagship cameras and stuff them into a consumer model for pennies on the dollar.

we have seen the feature list of the 70D already.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »
How about a new benchmark in Low ISO performance? Like ISO 50 or 25?
(I don't care if the DR/Noise/whatever curves taper off to horizontal below 100 or 200, it would just be nice to be able use slower ISOs sometimes, like wide-open portraits in full sun without resorting to an ND)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »

xylus

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Sounds very exciting!  Will be very interested to see what it can do, though tbh, I'm usually quite happy with pictures from my 400D, so I guess this'll be a great surprise.

Do you have any idea what sort of time the announcement is going to be made?  I'm never sure what determines which country makes the announcements of products, so can't really make a guess!  I'm going to be working all night here though, so hopefully will be able to keep an eye on the news to see it :)
Looks like another 400D owner is waiting for an upgrade!  :D

cookinghusband

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
It should be as good as the 6D or even better.
This is how DSLR grow. ie newer better ISO performance or more pixels

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2013, 09:11:16 PM »
It should be as good as the 6D or even better.
This is how DSLR grow. ie newer better ISO performance or more pixels

Except that sensor size matters.  A lot.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dougkerr

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • The Pumpkin
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
I'm waiting for the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism Band of Banding-Hunting Brothers to mention that it has obvious pattern banding at +10stops DEC & +1000 fill-light, as confirmed by Professor Professorson, PhD E.E., when pixel-voyeured at 800%...

"Nattering Nabobs of Negativity".

-Spiro Agnew, written by William Safire

Best regards,

Doug Kerr

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 01:22:23 AM »

"Nattering Nabobs of Negativity".

-Spiro Agnew, written by William Safire

Best regards,

Doug Kerr

Nice try, thanks for playing  :P. http://www.answers.com/topic/nattering-nabobs-of-negativism

Also, look up Agnew's & Safire's Wiki for your edification.  ;D
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

paul13walnut5

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:34 AM »
Sounds very exciting!  Will be very interested to see what it can do, though tbh, I'm usually quite happy with pictures from my 400D, so I guess this'll be a great surprise.

Do you have any idea what sort of time the announcement is going to be made?  I'm never sure what determines which country makes the announcements of products, so can't really make a guess!  I'm going to be working all night here though, so hopefully will be able to keep an eye on the news to see it :)
Looks like another 400D owner is waiting for an upgrade!  :D

If it wasn't for the advent of DSLR video, I wouldn't have been in any great rush to change my 400D.  Mine was tired from extensive use, but as you say, the images are pretty good to this day.

Going to a 7D, the thing that mattered least to me was megapixels, or high ISO particularly (still have my film head on, I see folk shooting at iso 102'500 and just think, why?... there can't be any contrast in light that dim, sometimes things are supposed to be dark) that said my 7D at 3200 is like the 400D at 800, and the 7D is outdone by my M, by at least a stop of noise.

A decent pentaprism viewfinder, better handling, off camera E-TTL flash command, and the increased buffer rates are all great reasons to upgrade.  I never looked back, even although I really really enjoyed my time with the 400D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:34 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 06:11:48 AM »

DRoolific sentence  ;D

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27:42 AM »

Which will undoubtably "prove" that this camera is useless for any photographer who refuses to metre and expose their photographs properly!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27:42 AM »