August 28, 2014, 09:13:07 AM

Author Topic: Patent: A Pellicle Mirror by Canon  (Read 8966 times)

dufflover

• Rebel T5i
  • OH YEAH!
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: A Pellicle Mirror by Canon
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:30 AM »
I actually disagree with that one, after a certain point. With wildlife/birding when you have a big enough lens it's the non-body arm that's got all the weight on it. Granted it still does need some proper sized grip. The body lens area itself though can be as small/thin as it wants.

I don't think the future of the cameras used for this sort of thing will be small though. Even with the new A7 and what not there are noticeable features that still reserved for "big cameras" just because they are seen as premium features.
My guess anyway ...
Hurry up Canon and do something with your sensors! :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:30 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
I actually disagree with that one, after a certain point. With wildlife/birding when you have a big enough lens it's the non-body arm that's got all the weight on it. Granted it still does need some proper sized grip. The body lens area itself though can be as small/thin as it wants.

I don't think the future of the cameras used for this sort of thing will be small though. Even with the new A7 and what not there are noticeable features that still reserved for "big cameras" just because they are seen as premium features.
My guess anyway ...

The camera grip is critical when it comes to hand-held wildlife and bird photography. You need both arms, and both are just as essential to properly stabilize the rig. Could you imagine trying to balance an f/2.8 300mm or f/4 600mm lens with just one arm? If you have a tiny mirrorless camera with practically no grip attached to one of those lenses, you have no real leverage with your other hand...no way to properly balance such a large setup. I often hand-hold my 600mm f/4 lens for wildlife, and speaking from experience...it is already difficult enough trying to handle it with a 7D. It would be practically impossible with, say, an EOS M. I'd rather have a 1D X, which has more area to grip in more vertical space, than something even smaller than what I deal with now.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
My concern is that someday EVFs will ultimately replace OVFs.

Rest assured: they will - ultimately ovf will be a niche product for folklore and history like steam engines  - and for special purposes of course if some can be found, but at a very high premium.

Personally, I'd switch to an evf if it doesn't draw too much power, is nearly indistinguishable from an ovf and provides superior functionality - namely focus peaking and zebras, next to tons of other useful hints you can add to an evf.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
My concern is that someday EVFs will ultimately replace OVFs.

Rest assured: they will - ultimately ovf will be a niche product for folklore and history like steam engines  - and for special purposes of course if some can be found, but at a very high premium.

Personally, I'd switch to an evf if it doesn't draw too much power, is nearly indistinguishable from an ovf and provides superior functionality - namely focus peaking and zebras, next to tons of other useful hints you can add to an evf.

I'm just hoping that "ultimately" is like 20 years down the road. Otherwise, companies will be losing my business as I stick with what I've got. No amount of features added to an EVF will ever convince me they are good enough to replace an OVF. Especially since you can slap a transmissive LCD on an OVF (like the 7D, 5D III, 1D X) and get just as many HUD features, without the detrimental effects of an EVF.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

dufflover

• Rebel T5i
  • OH YEAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
Except some of those features that really useful with an OVF can't exist when there is a typical SLR mirror, and obviously not everyone likes the "workaround" of a semi-transparent mirror.
e.g. if you want a LiveView exposure, or zoomed in view for focus, you obviously need it to be hitting some kind of imaging sensor

I doubt this will ever happen due to cost/demand, but having a combined EVF/OVF that you can switch on and off would be great though. Choose-your-own ...
Hurry up Canon and do something with your sensors! :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »