April 19, 2014, 03:53:59 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Announced  (Read 28712 times)

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
Re: Canon EOS 70D Announced
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
Hmm, I see that now.  Crazy how they would not put that in the list of features on the USA site.  ::)

Highlight a feature intended to correct for inconsistencies in the manufacturing process?  A feature that even the manuals for the cameras recommend you not use?   ::) ::) ::)

As mentioned by another user, the UK seems to think it is worth mentioning.  Apparently only the Americans feel the need to hide such a feature.  ::)

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_70D/index.aspx
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »

Paramike

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2013, 11:09:54 AM »
I haven't seen anything that mentions an actual availability date yet for the UK.  I think it's finally time to take the plunge and spend some money, I think the 7DII will end up being out of my price range at the moment.  This seems like a fantastic upgrade for the 400D and generally looks like a very capable camera with some decent features.

Having not had the joys of video, live view or many of the other features, I feel this alone will provide quite the learning curve.  Bit annoying that I'm going to have to go out and buy a whole load of SD cards now though!  At least the wife can have the old camera and keep all the old CF's.

Other than Canon's official videos, how long would it normally be before this is in the hands of independent reviewers so that we can start to get some decent, hands-on video reviews?  Written articles are all well and good, but my patience for some of them runs out pretty quickly!
Canon 400D (Soon to be Canon 70D!), Canon EF100-400mm, Canon EF 50mm F/1.8, Sigma 10-200mm, Canon 18-55mm (Soon to be Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5/6 IS STM!)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
Pretty darn nice camera! I like it.  However, if it has a smaller body than the 60D, I really consider the camera a Super Rebel. The inclusion of SD card, lack of headphone jack and non-replaceable focus screen keep it at a Rebel level. This camera is not on the same level as the 50D.

For professional use, the small body is a deal-killer for me. It has some great technology and features which will make the higher-end amateur market happy.

"Just a silly little millimeter." I believe that was the ad line used by a cigarette seller many years ago. They increased the size of their cancer sticks to 101 mm from 100. This obviously made them so much better.

Here are the dimensions that are so troubling to you:

50D:
146X108X74 (vol. 1.167)

60D:
145X106X79 (vol. 1.214)

70D:
148X111X74 (vol. 1.216)

The trend line would appear toward larger cameras. But, just a few silly little millimeters.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

carlosmeldano

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »
70D:
148X111X74 (vol. 1.216)

139.0 x 104.3 x 78.5mm

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
Hmm, I see that now.  Crazy how they would not put that in the list of features on the USA site.  ::)

Highlight a feature intended to correct for inconsistencies in the manufacturing process?  A feature that even the manuals for the cameras recommend you not use?   ::) ::) ::)

Is AFMA even necessary with the new focusing system? I'm just wondering. I got the impression that since the sensor itself is confirming the focus, adjustments might be less important.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Steb

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Is AFMA even necessary with the new focusing system?

The new focusing system is a live view feature... nothing for daily use. You still need to AFMA your fast lenses.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »
Is AFMA even necessary with the new focusing system? I'm just wondering. I got the impression that since the sensor itself is confirming the focus, adjustments might be less important.

No, AFMA isn't necessary for the Dual Pixel CMOS AF, nor is it necessary for the Hybrid CMOS AF or good ol' Live View contrast detect AF.  But remember that those AF modes which use the CMOS image sensor only operate with the mirror up - not through an optical viewfinder.  The 70D has the 19-pt AF sensor (from the 7D) that's used when looking through the VF, and that requires AFMA just the same as any other standard phase detect AF system.

That standard phase detect AF is still the go-to with fast moving subjects, and holding a heavy camera + lens out in front of you for Live View composition isn't always easy - the VF is there for a reason.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »

No, AFMA isn't necessary for the Dual Pixel CMOS AF, nor is it necessary for the Hybrid CMOS AF or good ol' Live View contrast detect AF.  But remember that those AF modes which use the CMOS image sensor only operate with the mirror up - not through an optical viewfinder.  The 70D has the 19-pt AF sensor (from the 7D) that's used when looking through the VF, and that requires AFMA just the same as any other standard phase detect AF system.

That standard phase detect AF is still the go-to with fast moving subjects, and holding a heavy camera + lens out in front of you for Live View composition isn't always easy - the VF is there for a reason.

Thanks. That's about what I expected.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

insanitybeard

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »

This is why I have a hard time believing that the optical viewfinder will ever be rendered completely obsolete- mirrorless cameras certainly are more compact but as you say, for action, framing in bright daylight, and hand holding large lenses, the viewfinder is still the way to go. There is just something about the SLR with grip that feels much more natural to me than using a compact with the screen to compose.
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

Jackson_Bill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

This is why I have a hard time believing that the optical viewfinder will ever be rendered completely obsolete- mirrorless cameras certainly are more compact but as you say, for action, framing in bright daylight, and hand holding large lenses, the viewfinder is still the way to go. There is just something about the SLR with grip that feels much more natural to me than using a compact with the screen to compose.

+1

Act444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
A big deal being made about this new live view focus thing...what I'm interested in is how good the servo mode is. Will this make a good sports camera? Sometimes the reach of 1.6x really comes in handy in those cases. The 60D was competent but hardly impressive. I'm hoping the 70D is a significant improvement in this regard, offering customizability, etc.

LesC

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
Better start building up a stock of SD cards in anticipation I guess. With the 20MP sensor & video better go for Sandisk Extreme 16GB I suppose...

Jackson_Bill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:10 PM »
unfortunately, I think the elephant in the room is the high iso performance. According to a post in another thread,
from imaging resource: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-70d/canon-70dA.HTM
"Sensitivity. Equally important is the Canon 70D's noise performance. Here, the extra horsepower of DIGIC 5+ should allow more sophisticated noise reduction algorithms, while the newer sensor design is said to mitigate effects of the reduced pixel pitch. Canon claims raw performance should be on par with the EOS 60D at like sensitivities, despite the slightly higher resolution. For JPEG and video shooting, the company promises a "huge improvement" in noise levels, although it doesn't state precisely what would constitute "huge".
"
That doesn't bode well for any kind of improvement on the 7D ii (if there is such a thing). IMO, better high iso performance was THE thing I was hoping for in the next generation of APS-C. And in-camera noise redction on the jgp doesn't help me at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:10 PM »

TheBadger

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
No mention of a better image quality? All the talk is surrounding the autofocus.
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

AcutancePhotography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
"Experimenting with creative off-camera flash is easy, thanks to the Integrated Speedlite transmitter, which provides in-camera control of multiple Canon Speedlite EX flash units."

I wished Canon would put that functionality on the 6D  :(
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »