August 29, 2014, 06:16:24 AM

Author Topic: Buy 7D now If I won't be able to afford 7D mkii  (Read 7186 times)

nanook5

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Buy 7D now If I won't be able to afford 7D mkii
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
Hi

I'm 15 and I have enough money to get the 7D

Before you say "Get a 1100D , it's great for beginners ", Just to clarify I am not a beginner! I have been using my Dad's 1D mkii + 20D for the past two years .

His equipment is old ,so I want to get my own

I have lenses so I just want a body

With the 7D mkii coming out soon it will just be too much money for me

I chose the 7D because I love the 8FPS on the 1D mkii ,it has a good focusing system alike the 1D mkii,The high iso(I sometimes shoot night sky timelapses),Live view and the large buffer size

I don't need any of those creative filter stuff or a touch screen .

So Is it worthwhile buying the 7D now if I will not be able to afford 7Dmkii?

Is it a no brainer ?

Thanks

Reece
Canon 1D mk ii ,Canon 20D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, 17-35 f/2.8L, 580EX, 550EX

canon rumors FORUM

Buy 7D now If I won't be able to afford 7D mkii
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 7D now If I won't be able to afford 7D mkii
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
You can probably get a used 7D for under a $1000.  I sold mine for $900 when I got my 6D.  The 7D is really great.  The 70D just got announced and should be released in September for about $1200 body.  Might want to look at that also.

Oh, and the 7DMk2 hasn't even been formally announced yet and probably won't be available until sometime 2014.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:51:35 AM »
Is it worthwhile buying the 7D now if I will not be able to afford 7Dmkii?
what kind of a question is that? seriously.
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:17 AM »
what kind of a question is that? seriously.

Nice way to welcome a new member, whothafunk. And a 15-year old member at that! Seriously.

To the OP, Reece, there are plenty of people on this forum who know the ins and outs of how Canon's pricing works much better than I, but I would expect the price of the 7D to drop even further than it has recently once a 7D Mark II is announced, and even more once that camera is released.

I would keep playing with that 1D Mark II, and watch the prices fall. No urgency, and money in the bank for you.

Have you considered the brand new 70D as well? If you wait 6 months to a year that may also have come down a little in price as well and still has 7fps, plus some great brand new video tech for a reasonable price.

Just ignore unhelpful comments like the one from whothafunk, some people just can't help themselves.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »
if someone is new to the forum does that give him a privilege to write dumbly formed questions? besides, i wasnt paying attention when he registered. its irrelevant.

if you will not be able to afford the 7DII? the prices wont be released before its release, meaning for atleast 6 months. but you want to buy the 7D NOW. or what. do you want to wait for the 7DII's prices and then buy the 7D now?
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:27:04 AM »
I would wait for the 70D to be tested by real customers who buy it and use it. It may be just the right camera for you.
While the 7D is dated and ISO performance might not be as good as the 70D. 7 frames per second means you won't miss the 8th frame. Reread the specs and reviews that are available now. If you go for the 70D your Dad may help with the  cash if you let him use it if he wants to as a back up camera. Welcome to the Forum.
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:30 AM »
if someone is new to the forum does that give him a privilege to write dumbly formed questions? besides, i wasnt paying attention when he registered. its irrelevant.

if you will not be able to afford the 7DII? the prices wont be released before its release, meaning for atleast 6 months. but you want to buy the 7D NOW. or what. do you want to wait for the 7DII's prices and then buy the 7D now?

I think that you should cut the OP a little slack as he is trying to ask a genuine question.  His dilemma is not unreasonable, in fact I think that a lot of people will be facing it it the next 6-12 months.  I also think that the OP is right in assuming that the 7D MkII will cost significantly more than the current street price of the 7D. 

The real question is whether the 7D is worth buying versus a similarly specified (and priced) 70D? This will come down to how good the 70D's sensor is; if it is class leading then I think that the other specifications are close enough that the 7D no longer makes sense for most. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:30 AM »

nanook5

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
I think that you should cut the OP a little slack as he is trying to ask a genuine question.  His dilemma is not unreasonable, in fact I think that a lot of people will be facing it it the next 6-12 months.  I also think that the OP is right in assuming that the 7D MkII will cost significantly more than the current street price of the 7D. 

The real question is whether the 7D is worth buying versus a similarly specified (and priced) 70D? This will come down to how good the 70D's sensor is; if it is class leading then I think that the other specifications are close enough that the 7D no longer makes sense for most. 

Thanks for that !

I was actually waiting for the 70D to come out as I WAS going to buy a 60D just when they were being sold off a bit cheaper before they were dis continued, but decided to go full out with the 7D  .

Now that you put the two cameras side by side it does sound reasonable to wait , especially since the 70D is brand new .

I think I might just do that  :)

Thanks

Reece

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »
The OP asks a valid question and Whodaheck gave a rude and irrelevant response.   

I agree with the other replies saying before you buy a 5 year old 7d, see if the 70d works better for you. Since they have the same AF system and the fps are nearly the same the only advantage for 7d is metal body and weather sealing, which most shooters (though certainly not all) don't need. Most people retire perfectly functional cameras every several years because they are obsolete--many more than will ever have a non metal camera break in a situation where a metal camera wouldn't have broken too.   If you shoot in rain maybe you want 7d.

The 70d may give usable photos at higher ISO than the 7d does.   I'd think about it.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:42 AM »
nanook5 - Welcome to CR!  I wish I had started photography at your age!  Its a very challenging and rewarding hobby that you can enjoy for your entire life.

What type of photography do you normally do?  You said high FPS was important to you, are you primarily shooting sports, action or birds in flight?  If so, the 7D is an excellent camera, Canon's best action camera at less than $2000 until the 70D is released.  Do you shoot video or just stills?  If you do much video, the 70D looks like an awesome option, and its should be as good if not better than the 7D for stills as well.

With a new body just announced and the 7DII on the horizon, things are a bit unsettled right now.  Since you already have access to two nice cameras I agree with expatinasia that maybe you should just wait a few months until after the 70D is released and there is some hands-on user feedback to help you decide if you want to go in that direction or stay with the older 7D.  I think 7D prices will be lower at that point if you wait.

The real question is whether the 7D is worth buying versus a similarly specified (and priced) 70D?

I would expect 7D prices to drop further once the 70D is released.  The 70D really matches the 7D spec for spec, and betters it in most regards.  New 7D's are currently going for around $1300 and used around $800.  With the 70D being released at $1300, the new 7D's prices must drop or they will not sell any.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

nanook5

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 07:11:52 AM »
nanook5 - Welcome to CR!  I wish I had started photography at your age!  Its a very challenging and rewarding hobby that you can enjoy for your entire life.

What type of photography do you normally do?  You said high FPS was important to you, are you primarily shooting sports, action or birds in flight?  If so, the 7D is an excellent camera, Canon's best action camera at less than $2000 until the 70D is released.  Do you shoot video or just stills?  If you do much video, the 70D looks like an awesome option, and its should be as good if not better than the 7D for stills as well.

With a new body just announced and the 7DII on the horizon, things are a bit unsettled right now.  Since you already have access to two nice cameras I agree with expatinasia that maybe you should just wait a few months until after the 70D is released and there is some hands-on user feedback to help you decide if you want to go in that direction or stay with the older 7D.  I think 7D prices will be lower at that point if you wait.

The real question is whether the 7D is worth buying versus a similarly specified (and priced) 70D?

I would expect 7D prices to drop further once the 70D is released.  The 70D really matches the 7D spec for spec, and betters it in most regards.  New 7D's are currently going for around $1300 and used around $800.  With the 70D being released at $1300, the new 7D's prices must drop or they will not sell any.

Thanks for the welcome  ;)

It's not that high FPS is important to me but rather I prefer the flexibility of being able to shoot at a high FPS if needed .

I do shoot a lot of fast moving subjects  e.g ,cars,animals,birds
I would love to shoot sports if I ever went to an event!

7FPS is fine for me  8)

I would use video sometimes but my main priority is to shoot stills .

Since I sometimes do Night sky photography I leave the 1D outside all night covered in a plastic bag  hooked up to an Intervalometer.

I have the assurance of the metal body and the weather sealing with the 1D ,but then again I have also left the 20D outside all night covered with a bag and have had no problems.
So a metal body is nice but then again it is not needed , although I would like to have weather sealing IF I ever wanted to shoot in the rain.

7D or 70D ,either one will be a definite upgrade of what I have now .

One thing I would like is that the camera I do buy, will still be worth enough money in 2-3 years time
that I will be able to sell it on and upgrade again .

Thanks

tortilla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 07:29:59 AM »
I'm not so sure, it all depends wether the 70D's image quality outmatches the 7D. In terms of usability the 70D doesn't quite match the 7D (with it's bigger viewfinder, joystick, 3 custom programs etc.). I think the OP's question can't be answered unless we'll have seen see low ISO raws from the 70D.

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »
The OP asks a valid question and Whodaheck gave a rude and irrelevant response.
are you kidding me? read this question again:

first things first - when will he know if he can afford the 7DII? not anytime soon. but he wants to know, if its worth buying the 7D NOW, if he will not be able to afford the 7DII, when he will see the price in 6 months or so.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »

StepBack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »
Read the PopPhoto review about the 70D if u haven't already.U'll get some insights into the AF Servo Movie mode, the action of dual AF pixels (two photodiodes not twice the number of pixels- a marketing exaggeration), burst mode. While it tracks I don't believe the description on the 70D is nearly equivalent to the big boys. Compared to the 7D? If u think the AF on the 7D is slow than try one out. If u think u'll use the continuous AF movie mode. If you enjoy the ease of Wi-Fi- really it sounds like Canon is trying too hard to keep up. The sensor is an upgrade to the 6D they appear to be saying. I find that hard to believe given the timing of each. While it has the same specs apparently the doubling of photodiodes is well a plus compared to the older DSLRs. At least on paper. First time users will be so excited to tell the world it bakes cakes and cleans the house I'd wait until it goes on sale. If u can wait u'll pocket a hundred. All in all it sounds like a nice dslr.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »
Reece, I am sure a lot of people would love to have so much first hand experience with a 1D Mark II.

What lenses do you currently have access too?

I know one member recently purchased a 1D Mark I (or whatever it is called) and that thread generated quite a lot of interest.

Maybe you could get your Dad to treat himself to an upgrade, and you get the 1D Mark II as a gift and get to play with his new toy from time to time.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »