Reece, I am sure a lot of people would love to have so much first hand experience with a 1D Mark II.
What lenses do you currently have access too?
I know one member recently purchased a 1D Mark I (or whatever it is called) and that thread generated quite a lot of interest.
Maybe you could get your Dad to treat himself to an upgrade, and you get the 1D Mark II as a gift and get to play with his new toy from time to time.
I have a 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, 17-35 f/2.8L , 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM , 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 USM, Sigma 17-35 f/2.8
The 1D mkii is basically
mine . I use it more than him .
He has no problem with me using his gear as he got all
of it from his brother(Who is a Professional photographer)
I have asked him would he sell the 1D or even the 20D and he was slow about it and he doesn't want to sell it them.
I explained to him that he is basically getting a free upgrade . I explained that if he sells the 1D for say €500 , I pay €800 and we now have a Canon 6D or 5D mkii.
Or for the 20D say he gets €250 and then I pay €700 to get a 7D etc.....
I also told him that he should
have upgraded years ago before his equipment depreciated .
I may have another go at persuading him soon ,when the 7D mkii comes out, then we can debate between a 7D,7D mkii or a 70D , I should have a bit more money by then
But for now Everyone that has replied to this thread is basically saying to wait ,So that is what I will do !!!
The OP asks a valid question and Whodaheck gave a rude and irrelevant response.are you kidding me? read this question again:
Is it worthwhile buying the 7D now if I will not be able to afford 7Dmkii?first things first - when will he know if he can afford the 7DII? not anytime soon. but he wants to know, if its worth buying the 7D NOW, if he will not be able to afford the 7DII, when he will see the price in 6 months or so.
I was going on the release price of the original 7D , which for me was about €1700 in Ireland
This is how I will not be able to afford it !!