July 29, 2014, 11:08:36 AM

Author Topic: Is my 430EX dead?  (Read 1263 times)

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
Is my 430EX dead?
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
I was out earlier taking some pics and my 430 EX flash just stopped working! I was using it in manual mode at 1/4 power to help freeze the movement on some Dragonflies I was photographing. However after about 6 or 7 exposures it just would not flash. I have tried 3 sets of batteries with no joy. It seems to power up OK and the red "Pilot" light quickly shows it is ready but then it will not fire on or off the camera, even pressing the "Pilot" button will not trigger it in Manual or ETTL mode. If I put my ear next to the flash gun I can hear a VERY faint beeping at a rate of about 1 beep per second.
Has anybody out there any idea of what might be wrong? Although not a new flash it has been very rarely used so I wouldn't have thought it would be the tube - but I have virtually no idea on flash guns so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Is my 430EX dead?
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Is my 430EX dead?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about that. 

I had a very similar experience after dropping my  580 EX II.  I sent it in to Canon for repair for around $150.00 (don't remember exact amount).  Basically, they replaced the insides and it works fine. 

I was out earlier taking some pics and my 430 EX flash just stopped working! I was using it in manual mode at 1/4 power to help freeze the movement on some Dragonflies I was photographing. However after about 6 or 7 exposures it just would not flash. I have tried 3 sets of batteries with no joy. It seems to power up OK and the red "Pilot" light quickly shows it is ready but then it will not fire on or off the camera, even pressing the "Pilot" button will not trigger it in Manual or ETTL mode. If I put my ear next to the flash gun I can hear a VERY faint beeping at a rate of about 1 beep per second.
Has anybody out there any idea of what might be wrong? Although not a new flash it has been very rarely used so I wouldn't have thought it would be the tube - but I have virtually no idea on flash guns so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:31:55 AM »
That Sound is normal it is the charging circuit holding the flash capacitor fully charged.
My bet would be the tube.
I have one 430EX with a dead tube that is behaving the same way.
Canon will replace the hole flash head part for about 150€
Is the zoom working properly?

At the moment I am waiting for an replacement tube to arrive from taiwan.
But replacing it yourself is not that easy and requires soldering.

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »
That Sound is normal it is the charging circuit holding the flash capacitor fully charged.
My bet would be the tube.
I have one 430EX with a dead tube that is behaving the same way.
Canon will replace the hole flash head part for about 150€
Is the zoom working properly?

At the moment I am waiting for an replacement tube to arrive from taiwan.
But replacing it yourself is not that easy and requires soldering.

Thanks to all for your replies.
I mentioned the sound as I have never heard it before - perhaps I wasn't listening! Also the zoom and all other functions appear to be fine except that it won't flash!
I will have to check into repair costs - thinking of getting one of these if the repairs are going to be expensive: Yongnuo YN-568EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »