August 20, 2014, 06:59:31 PM

Author Topic: Expired: Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2 STM $299 at B&H  (Read 46514 times)

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Deal: Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2 STM $299 at B&H
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »
I find it interesting that this lens being made specifically for the M is still marketed with a FF focal length.  This lens cant be used on any other camera so why did they decide to spec 22mm f/2?  This is not really what you get with the camera in use.

Sounds like maybe grounds for a class action law suit.  I got 100 bucks back from John Deere because they underspec'd the engine on my lawn tractor!

What *are* you talking about? It is a lens with a 22mm focal length, and a maximum aperture of f/2. They couldn't be more honest and accurate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »

skfla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
I find it interesting that this lens being made specifically for the M is still marketed with a FF focal length.  This lens cant be used on any other camera so why did they decide to spec 22mm f/2?  This is not really what you get with the camera in use.

Sounds like maybe grounds for a class action law suit.  I got 100 bucks back from John Deere because they underspec'd the engine on my lawn tractor!

What *are* you talking about? It is a lens with a 22mm focal length, and a maximum aperture of f/2. They couldn't be more honest and accurate.

Tks Tnargs.+1
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:47:49 PM by skfla »
still a 5D2 fan

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »
I bought one just for the price.  I passed up the $399 deal last month (on eBay).  Even if I absolutely hate the camera, I could probably sell it on CL for a small profit!
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
This deal is too good to pass up. I've paid more than $300 for a P&S. Of course, I also had to pick up the adapter (white box $119), and of course for more versatility I had to get the 18-55 (white box $131). Naturally I got filters for the 2 lenses Thankfully I have a 270EX lying around so I don't have to pick up the 90. So now I'm up to $630, but at least I'm ready for pretty much anything except wildlife. Well rural wildlife anyway.

Perhaps this is the whole point.

After making no effort to market this camera in the U.S., they suddenly decided they could sell a boatload of ancillary stuff if they essentially gave the camera away.

I know I can't consider buying it without the EF lens adapter. I suspect few people are buying the camera and attached lens and nothing else. And if they aren't buying extras today, the future looms.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »

Why? Because focal length is an intrinsic property of the lens.  With the 22mm pancake lens, the physical distance between the rear nodal point and the image plane is 22mm (with the lens focused at infinity).  That's the definition of focal length. The sensor behind the lens, the flange focal distance, what bodies are compatible or not, none of that matters.  If Canon were to print an 'APS-C corrected focal length' (e.g. 35mm on the EF-M 22mm pancake), that would be a lie (so they'd have to print 'FF equivalent' or something on the lens as well).

But you can try to sue Canon if you want...maybe spend that hundred bucks on a shyster who'll be happy to part you from your money.  I'm sure Canon would get a nice chuckle from the effort...   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »
This deal is too good to pass up. I've paid more than $300 for a P&S. Of course, I also had to pick up the adapter (white box $119), and of course for more versatility I had to get the 18-55 (white box $131). Naturally I got filters for the 2 lenses Thankfully I have a 270EX lying around so I don't have to pick up the 90. So now I'm up to $630, but at least I'm ready for pretty much anything except wildlife. Well rural wildlife anyway.

Perhaps this is the whole point.

After making no effort to market this camera in the U.S., they suddenly decided they could sell a boatload of ancillary stuff if they essentially gave the camera away.

I know I can't consider buying it without the EF lens adapter. I suspect few people are buying the camera and attached lens and nothing else. And if they aren't buying extras today, the future looms.

Yup. Canon got me again. But my eyes were wide open. I knew I had to have the adapter and I just wanted the zoom. So now I need a little bag for my little camera...

Biggles

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »
Does anyone know if this camera has a minimum shutter speed setting? And does its auto-ISO work properly?

Since it has no stabilisation, if I give it to my kids to use, I want to be sure that it doesn't drop the shutter speed too low in low light, but instead can adjust the ISO as needed. I'm teaching them photography, and my DSLR is a little heavy. But it's also an older DSLR (500D), and doesn't have a min shutter speed setting, and its auto-ISO is useless in the non-auto modes (it just picks ISO 400 every time).

Can you also tap the touchscreen on this camera to take a photo focused on where you tap it?

Lastly, what sensor is this M the same as, the T2i's?

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
Does anyone know if this camera has a minimum shutter speed setting? And does its auto-ISO work properly?

Since it has no stabilisation, if I give it to my kids to use, I want to be sure that it doesn't drop the shutter speed too low in low light, but instead can adjust the ISO as needed. I'm teaching them photography, and my DSLR is a little heavy. But it's also an older DSLR (500D), and doesn't have a min shutter speed setting, and its auto-ISO is useless in the non-auto modes (it just picks ISO 400 every time).

Can you also tap the touchscreen on this camera to take a photo focused on where you tap it?

No idea on most. Honestly, I just jumped at this unexpected deal without doing a huge amount of homework, but that's commensurate with my primary intended use (backup camera for travel).

But FWIW, the sensor is the exact same one found in the T4i/650D.

scrup

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Free Hosting
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2013, 10:04:05 PM »
Just when you thought it couldn't go any lower. canon slashes the price. I think we should complain about all canon products and get them to lower everything else.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Just when you thought it couldn't go any lower. canon slashes the price. I think we should complain about all canon products and get them to lower everything else.

Good luck with that...

wrlphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
I just happen to be in New York this week... I think this is a sign...

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
But you can try to sue Canon if you want...maybe spend that hundred bucks on a shyster who'll be happy to part you from your money.  I'm sure Canon would get a nice chuckle from the effort...   ::)

Canon already gets all of my money so none left to hire a lawyer!  ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2013, 10:13:59 PM »
Canon already gets all of my money so none left to hire a lawyer!  ;)

I hear you...and it seems they just got a few hundred more of mine, too!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2013, 10:13:59 PM »

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »
Well, I bit, however with the zoom lens.  This will replace my Canon G10 which is showing its age a little.  It takes great shots at ISO 80/100/200 but above that, forget it. Plus AF on the G10 leaves a lot to be desired, so I can't imagine the M will let me down, especially with the new firmware.

Anyone know if these cameras will already ship with the new firmware?

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »

Thanks.

No minimum shutter setting, haven't tried auto ISO.

Yes you can enable the touch shutter where you tap the screen, it focuses, then takes a shot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »